Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:25 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Things That Make You Go Hmmm.... 
 Post subject: Re: Things That Make You Go Hmmm....
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:39 pm 
Delicate Flower

W0THK wrote:
Deputy Jeff Hamric was returning his gun to its holster after firing it when the weapon discharged, Sheriff Ken Merritt said.

"It discharged, the bullet went through the bottom of his calf, bounced off the bone and lodged in his ankle,'' Merritt said.

This makes me laugh, the gun discharged. No, you jackass, the person putting it away somehow manipulated the trigger to defeat the safety systems and shot himself in the leg. Guns do not unilaterally decide to discharge, it takes human intervention to make it happen.

Give me a break.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:55 pm 
Longtime Regular

My lovely wife claims that my AK47 looks like it could go outside and shoot up the neighborhood all by itself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:45 pm 
Longtime Regular

Old Dude wrote:
My lovely wife claims that my AK47 looks like it could go outside and shoot up the neighborhood all by itself.

Well ya! Its one of those aweful AK's(Gun, not state) after all. And you holster that thing? :shock:

That is all....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 2:04 pm 

Old Dude wrote:

My wife says the same thing about my AR 15,especially with the particularly "evil" 40 round magazine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:11 pm 

Nobody should be in that big of a hurry to re-holster. My re-holster technique is a two-handed affair with one hand used to sweep any clothing items (t-shirt, cover garment, etc.) out of the way of the trigger. The trigger finger goes back "home" alongside the slide and stays there until it hits the holster material and the gun locks into place.

I'd be happy to show that guy after he gets out of the hospital...

Dirk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 4:26 pm 
On time out

DeanC wrote:
[...]Image

But... I think bass would help too. I'm just sayin'.

Final answer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 4:43 pm 
Longtime Regular

Regarding vfrdirk's post, but with no intent to criticize the way that you do things: I always holster one handed, with my non-gun hand in front of me, personally. It takes a little practice, but you can safely manipulate your concealment garments and holster with one hand. Just take your time. If the gun came out of the holster in the first place, there is usually no need to rush re-holstering it, a physical fight included. If they come at you while your gun is in your hand/being reholstered, they're going for a weapon (yours) and need to be shot anyway, so the gun is going to be coming right back out. While you're getting ready to shoot them, you still need to protect your head and neck, and potentially grab onto them. Don't know exactly what might happen. If you use your non-gun hand to help reholster, you're taking the grappling part of your hand temporarily out of the fight because that's occupied facing away from the threat. The initial use of your hand will only be for striking, not grabbing. At least, that's my personal reasoning.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:02 am 

The Front Sight presentation steps I learned involve putting the non-firing hand on or near the solar-plexus during the draw phase. (to avoid covering it with the muzzle and to keep mass centralized, etc.) I basically just run the draw counts in reverse so, when I'm re-holstering, my weak hand is used to hold any loose garment tight against my side and the firing side elbow and forearm swipe the cover garment back. So far this has worked on all combinations of outer and inner clothing.

So, no matter when a new threat appears, I'm somewhere between count #1 and count #5 of my draw stroke and can reverse the re-holster process to turn it into a draw again. If I need my non-gun hand to fight off attackers, there's no way I'd be re-holstering anyway. Plus, count #3 of the draw is a 'close contact' firing position, which frees up the other hand for Jerry Springer-style slap fighting, or merely protecting my head and neck while firing at close contact into an attacker. That's the theory, at least...

Anyway, that's what works for me and what I've practiced (and practiced and practiced) so maybe we'll meet sometime and compare notes...

Dirk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:14 pm 
Longtime Regular

Hey, cool. Sounds like it's not actually all that different. When I hear of using both hands for holstering, I often see in my head a picture of someone reaching across and opening their holster with their non-gun hand, and holstering with their gun hand. (As I did without realizing it until someone pointed it out to me. :oops: )

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.