Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:19 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 
 Ohio Police Chief Shoots Himself While Teaching Daughter 
 Post subject: Ohio Police Chief Shoots Himself While Teaching Daughter
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:22 pm 
Longtime Regular

http://www.foxnews.com/printer_friendly ... 47,00.html
Quote:
Ohio Police Chief Shoots Himself While Teaching Daughter Gun Safety

Saturday , November 29, 2008

AP
ADVERTISEMENT

MONROE, Ohio —
Police in southwestern Ohio say a police chief mistakenly shot himself in the thigh after giving his daughter a gun safety lesson.

A police report says 54-year-old Middletown police Chief Greg Schwarber was preparing to clean his Glock .45-caliber pistol on Friday and didn't realize the gun was still loaded.

The report written by officers from neighboring Monroe says the bullet entered Schwarber's leg just above the knee.

When officers arrived, they found the chief lying on the floor with a towel covering his leg. Schwarber was taken to a hospital for treatment.

The hospital had no record of Schwarber being treated or admitted. A home phone number for him couldn't be found.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:52 am 
Longtime Regular

Those darn Glocks gets another stupid and careless person who should know better. One reason police should have mag disconnects. :roll:

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:07 pm 
Longtime Regular

Srigs wrote:
Those darn Glocks gets another stupid and careless person who should know better. One reason police should have mag disconnects. :roll:

I miss the mag disconnect on my old issue S&W auto. (I now carry a G17)

The amount of "administrative" gun handlling we can do in one day is scary from a safety perpective. In and out of the holster at beginning and end of shift. In and out at the jail and any other secure area.

With my Smith, I would always pop the mag out before I unsnapped the holster. I miss that.

I try to be most conscious of the trigger and trigger guard area of my pistol, but frankly I think it sucks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:21 pm 
Longtime Regular

I sure hope the guy is alright. How embarassing! Here kid, let me teach you about safe gun-handling.

What is a mag disconnect and how does it work? Does that mean that the gun won't fire if the mag is not locked in?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:39 pm 
Longtime Regular

bensdad wrote:
What is a mag disconnect and how does it work? Does that mean that the gun won't fire if the mag is not locked in?

Yes.

Opinions vary about their value. As you can see from tman065's post above, many LEO's do like them.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:43 pm 
Longtime Regular

bensdad wrote:

No it does not. Does the safety of a gun make sure it will not fire when engaged? NO! Mechanical devises fail.

The intent of the mag disconnect is to make sure the gun will not fire while the mag is out of the gun. 8)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:45 pm 
Longtime Regular

DeanC wrote:
bensdad wrote:

Yes.

Opinions vary about their value. As you can see from tman065's post above, many LEO's do like them.

Dean,
You type faster than me. I was not trying to be a smart a$$. I started my post before I read yours. 8)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Ohio Police Chief Shoots Himself While Teaching Daughter
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:09 am 
Poet Laureate

Quote:
Ohio Police Chief Shoots Himself While Teaching Daughter Gun Safety

Police in southwestern Ohio say a police chief mistakenly shot himself in the thigh after giving his daughter a gun safety lesson. ...Chief Greg Schwarber was preparing to clean his Glock .45-caliber pistol on Friday, and said to his daughter, "I'm the only one professional enough to...".

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:24 am 

DeanC wrote:
bensdad wrote:

Yes.

In addition to administrative use, I've been told that, when fighting for their gun with a BG, they like the option of dropping the mag and making the gun unfireable.

Skin that smokewagon and see what happens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:25 am 
Longtime Regular

Let's say the mag disconnect makes it exceedingly difficult to intentionally fire the gun with the magazine removed.

Mag disconnects are a favorite of the French government. The BHP acquired one at their request.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:45 pm 
Longtime Regular

White Horseradish wrote:
Mag disconnects are a favorite of the French government.

That is quite a strike against them!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:53 pm 

One thing I love about my XD. Has a 'chamber loaded' and a 'cocked' indicator.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:27 am 
Longtime Regular

Q_Continuum wrote:

One thing I love about my PM9 - it fires when I pull the trigger, and has none of the rest of the nonsense.
Captains William Ewart Fairbairn and Eric Anthony Sykes wrote:
We have an inveterate dislike of the profusion of safety devices with which all automatic pistols are regularly equipped. We believe them to be the cause of more accidents than anything else. There are too many instances on record of men being shot by accident either because the safety-catch was in the firing position when it ought not to have been or because it was in the safe position when that was the last thing to be desired. It is better, we think, to make the pistol permanently "unsafe" and then to devise such methods of handling it that there will be no accidents.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:05 pm 

Quote:

That statement struck me. I'm not poking fun at the poster...it's just when I read that I realize those items could be used as safety devises too.

I treat my XD (and other weapons) like they're loaded until the chamber is opened.

I use the "chamber loaded" and "cocked indicator" when I'm about to (target) shoot to ensure I'm ready to go.

Hopefully you won't read about me shooting myself in the leg in the morning paper. :lol:

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.