Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:31 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 
 Mother, son charged in Apple Valley shooting 
 Post subject: Mother, son charged in Apple Valley shooting
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:22 pm 
Longtime Regular

Quote:
Tuesday, 02 December 2008
Article Index
by Laura Adelmann
Thisweek Newspapers

A 58-year-old Farmington mother and her 18-year-old son face felony charges for a shooting incident at the Apple Valley McDonald’s restaurant.

Kathleen Alma Kaikkonen-O’Brien accompanied her son Benjamin “Pete” James O‘Brien to the restaurant where he had allegedly arranged to meet others for a fight over a dispute, according to County Attorney James Backstrom.

Driving them to the scene was Krissy Lynn Revolinski, 20, of Rosemount, and also with the group was a 15-year-old juvenile female. According to the county’s complaint, during the drive, the group discussed the gun Benjamin O’Brien had allegedly put in the trunk.

When they arrived at the restaurant, he allegedly retrieved the weapon after Revolinski popped the trunk lid, took the gun, and assumed a sniper position on top of a metal container at a nearby store.

When the other group arrived, there was a verbal confrontation, and Kaikkonen-O’Brien allegedly said she told the group to leave “so no one would get hurt.”

The complaint also said that at least one member of the other group heard Kaikkonen-O’Brien say, “My son’s got to do what he’s got to do.”

Shots were soon fired, and Kaikkonen-O’Brien allegedly told police she assumed it was O’Brien who was firing the shots.

The groups scattered from the scene, and there were no injuries reported, but police found bullet holes in the outside and inside walls of the restaurant.

Police also found spent shell casings and a live round near a metal container where the shooter was seen behind Checker Auto Store.

Kaikkonen-O’Brien was charged Nov. 24 with felony second-degree riot, and third-degree riot and child endangerment, both gross misdemeanors.

She faces up to five years in prison and a $3,000 to $10,000 fine for the felony, and up to 90 days in jail and fines of between $300 and $3,000 for the other charges.

In November, Benjamin O’Brien pleaded guilty to felony second-degree assault.

He is currently being held in the Dakota County Jail, and the court has ordered a psychological, chemical dependency and mental health evaluation.

County Attorney spokesperson Monica Jensen said if he doesn’t change his plea, the felony dangerous weapons charges will likely be dropped.

His next scheduled court appearance is Jan. 27.

Backstrom said the juvenile female has been charged with two felonies: terroristic threats and second-degree assault.

According to the complaint against Kaikkonen-O’Brien, the girl was armed with a box cutter and hit someone or tried to hit someone during the confrontation.

Revolinsky was charged last month with felony second-degree aiding and abetting and second-degree assault with a deadly weapon.

Backstrom said more charges are expected, but some will come from other agencies, because the county can’t prosecute both sides involved in a case and city attorneys do not handle juvenile cases.

Two other juveniles from the other group that had allegedly gathered to meet O’Brien and the others will be charged through the Washington County Attorney’s Office, and are possibly facing criminal charges, according to Backstrom.

He also said five other adults will be charged through the city of Apple Valley.

Backstrom added it will likely take several weeks or months for the charges to be filed because of the agencies involved and the number of people involved.

Kaikkonen-O’Brien will likely appear before a judge to enter a plea within four to six weeks, according to Backstrom.

“It’s very sad and disturbing to see groups of individuals take out their differences in armed confrontations like this,” Backstrom said.

Ree mentioned this a while back, and it looks like it finally hit the news. The kid too up a sniper position??? Is this a result of too much video games or something?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:25 pm 
Longtime Regular

Sniper position . . . . is that like a ninja pose? Or was he doing overwatch? No mention of the type of gun. . . that is really, really, significantly interesting. They don't say sniper rifle, they don't say "assault weapon" or any of the language we usually see in the media. Whatever it was, it made it through the wall of a business.

Things that make ya go "hhmmmmmm".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:56 am 
Longtime Regular

Booking record here. Then complaint is attached. No mention of the exact weapon. The story supports the whole notion of playing sniper....idiots.

Sadly, I've been there at that time of night while waiting for the 24-hr Walgreens nearby to fill a script.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:38 pm 
Longtime Regular

My GF goes there fairly often to get a RedBox movie for us...now I have to get off my couch and accompany her to McDonalds because some dumbass kid wants to play sniper or something???

This is why we should hate kids. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:13 am 
Longtime Regular

So, I was thinking about this on my drive home last night, specifiaclly what my reaction to it would be.

We have heard many times that it is fully legal to carry a long gun in MN, there are no laws prohibiting it. We however have been warned not to try such a stunt lest we want to get up-close and personal with the pavement at the behest of our local Officer Friendly.

If you happened to see some dude walking across a parking lot with a rifle, what would you do? (Hypothetically speaking, he does not look drunk/high/upset, nor do you see any quarreling cohorts near by.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:50 pm 
Longtime Regular

SultanOfBrunei wrote:
So, I was thinking about this on my drive home last night, specifiaclly what my reaction to it would be.

We have heard many times that it is fully legal to carry a long gun in MN, there are no laws prohibiting it. We however have been warned not to try such a stunt lest we want to get up-close and personal with the pavement at the behest of our local Officer Friendly.

If you happened to see some dude walking across a parking lot with a rifle, what would you do? (Hypothetically speaking, he does not look drunk/high/upset, nor do you see any quarreling cohorts near by.)

Yeah, it's not illegal, but it's worth some precautions.

I think this is where situational awareness goes from yellow to orange.

I would probably also decided I'm not really THAT hungry for a McDonalds cheeseburger and that the Arbys down the road sounds much better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:55 am 
Poet Laureate

Macx wrote:
Sniper position . . . . is that like a ninja pose? Or was he doing overwatch? No mention of the type of gun. . . that is really, really, significantly interesting. They don't say sniper rifle, they don't say "assault weapon" or any of the language we usually see in the media. Whatever it was, it made it through the wall of a business.

Things that make ya go "hhmmmmmm".

Oh, you can bet your paycheck that there was no appropriate sniping weaponry, or anything even resembling it's tactical use deployed here. Do you think the media would pass up even the smallest opportunity to mention the phrase "AK-47" or "Assault Rifle"? Or to throw it in our faces and say, "See? We need an Obama/Biden renewed assault weapons ban, because it's the McDonalds-family-killing-criminals weapon of choice! Please save us, all powerful Obama!" :roll:

Mosty likely what you had was some individual hiding behind a barrel, 50 yards away, with a .38 snubby, who when arguments started, popped up like a midway gopher game and squeezed of a few rounds in the general direction of the fight, making a lot of noise (and bullet holes in McDonalds, of course) which then sent everybody running. Including the "sniper".

But I digress. I have no idea what really occurred. I'm just 100% certain there was no sniper rifle, and about 75% sure the weapon was not even a rifle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:30 pm 

Well, the complaint refers to the weapon being carried in a rifle case.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:40 pm 

It would appear that the defendant has not made bail.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:57 pm 
Journeyman Member

What an idiot!!! I go to that particular McDonald's all the time because my friend works there and I get 50% off food :)

I'd rather not have morons like that around me, particularly armed morons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:58 pm 

It would appear that the defendant has pled guilty ::shrug::

http://pa.courts.state.mn.us/CaseDetail ... 1612231803

Sentencing has been continued to 4/30.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:59 am 

Quote:
I'd rather not have morons like that around me...

Good luck with that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:58 am 
Poet Laureate

singhcr wrote:
I go to that particular McDonald's all the time because my friend works there and I get 50% off food :)

Really?
I wasn't aware that McDonalds served food...

food   /fud/
–noun 1. any nourishing substance that is eaten, drunk, or otherwise taken into the body to sustain life, provide energy, promote growth, etc.

:shock:

:wink:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.