Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:45 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 MOVED: DON'T MUZZLE PEOPLE 
 Post subject: MOVED: DON'T MUZZLE PEOPLE
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:54 am 

[EDIT: Moved from Gun Stores due to Topic Drift - PLB]
[Original: http://www.twincitiescarry.com/forum/vi ... hp?t=11536]

I've had pretty good luck with J&S once we got to know each other. A couple of weeks ago I stood in Bill's for 20 minutes without my existence being acknowledged.

Whilst at a shop, examining a pistol with the slide back and the mag out, some guy objected to my "pointing" it at him. Hey, in a gun shop the muzzle will be moved around in the process of examining the piece. I even point it at my face while looking down the barrel. I was not "pointing" it at him. I think he was jealous that I had found a nice piece.

No harm done, the guy had enough ballistic gel on him to protect whatever few vital organs he may have had, one of which was not his brain. I was gonna clean his clock but I didn't want to ruin the fun of buying a new gun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:32 am 
Longtime Regular

The correct answer to your scenario is: Sorry about that *blush* and be more careful. Doesn't cost you anything and observing and following the 4 rules is a good habit to get into and a bad one to break.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:42 am 
Longtime Regular

Rodentman wrote:
<...>Whilst at a shop, examining a pistol with the slide back and the mag out, some guy objected to my "pointing" it at him. Hey, in a gun shop the muzzle will be moved around in the process of examining the piece.<...>

Don't muzzle sweep me. I don't care if I can see the mag is dropped and the slide is locked back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:46 am 
Longtime Regular

Rodentman wrote:
Whilst at a shop, examining a pistol with the slide back and the mag out, some guy objected to my "pointing" it at him. Hey, in a gun shop the muzzle will be moved around in the process of examining the piece.

Which part of "all guns are always loaded" did you not understand? The other patron was right; you were wrong.

Quote:
I was gonna clean his clock

Please choose another means of self defense. We, the responsible carry permit holders, don't need people with attitudes like yours ruining things.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:34 am 
Longtime Regular

Andrew Rothman wrote:
Rodentman wrote:
Whilst at a shop, examining a pistol with the slide back and the mag out, some guy objected to my "pointing" it at him. Hey, in a gun shop the muzzle will be moved around in the process of examining the piece.

Which part of "all guns are always loaded" did you not understand? The other patron was right; you were wrong.

Quote:
I was gonna clean his clock

Please choose another means of self defense. We, the responsible carry permit holders, don't need people with attitudes like yours ruining things.

+2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:42 am 
The Man

Rodentman wrote:
I've had pretty good luck with J&S once we got to know each other. A couple of weeks ago I stood in Bill's for 20 minutes without my existence being acknowledged.

Whilst at a shop, examining a pistol with the slide back and the mag out, some guy objected to my "pointing" it at him. Hey, in a gun shop the muzzle will be moved around in the process of examining the piece. I even point it at my face while looking down the barrel. I was not "pointing" it at him. I think he was jealous that I had found a nice piece.

No harm done, the guy had enough ballistic gel on him to protect whatever few vital organs he may have had, one of which was not his brain. I was gonna clean his clock but I didn't want to ruin the fun of buying a new gun.
I guess I should feel a bit reluctant to pile on, but I won't.

This one's really simple: there are times when it's not only okay, but a real good idea, to point guns at people. Like, say, if you've got a real good reason to think that the guy's about to chop you into little pieces with a machete, and you'd prefer that he not do so.

And, yup, in a gun shop, the muzzle will be moving around, and that's just fine -- as long as when it's moving around, it's never pointing at somebody else. (I don't see much of an issue with looking down the barrel yourself, after taking the proper precautions.)

This is really very, very basic gun safety stuff.

Now, at the gun shop, there may be times when there's no obvious reasonable direction to point the gun -- the clerk is right in front of you, and there's too many folks around. In that case, the only right thing to do is to wait until there is a reasonable direction to point the gun, one where not only you know, but everybody around you knows that if, for some bizarre reason, it goes bang, only property gets damaged.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:33 am 
Longtime Regular

I love you guys. I have posted some dumb stuff I shouldn't have before and this board really does do a good job of correcting navagational errors of logic, without being heavy handed or insulting. Once again wanted to say, best message board on the net!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:39 am 
Longtime Regular

Macx wrote:
I love you guys. I have posted some dumb stuff I shouldn't have before and this board really does do a good job of correcting navagational errors of logic, without being heavy handed or insulting. Once again wanted to say, best message board on the net!

Not only that, the member ship of this board should be considered to be the kung-foo master of thread drift. 8) :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:08 pm 
Longtime Regular

There's another board locally with members much more experienced in drift and misdirection than we are ;-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:16 pm 
Longtime Regular

joelr wrote:
And, yup, in a gun shop, the muzzle will be moving around, and that's just fine -- as long as when it's moving around, it's never pointing at somebody else. (I don't see much of an issue with looking down the barrel yourself, after taking the proper precautions.)

There have been a number of times when I've spent weeks in fairly confined spaces, accompanied by more than a hundred other people, each and every one of whom was carrying a rifle, and in all of them combined, there wasn't a single incident where someone swept a muzzle over someone else.

It's easy - all it takes is constant attention to basic firearms safety.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:09 pm 

I try and do my best to take the selected piece into a corner and examine it there. 8)

At my regular shop, that is. Otherwise, it may look like I'm trying to run away with it.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:05 pm 
Journeyman Member

I don't want a gun pointed at me, period....I don't care if the slide is locked back and the mag is dropped. How can someone be so stupid? Point the goddamn muzzle at the floor, and field-strip the gun for a really close examination of the barrel! It's really not that hard!

I was at the range with a friend, who's a relatively new shooter, a few months back, and an older gentleman asked to "look at the toys". He proceeded to remove my friend's G23 from it's case, and point it right at me.....not once, but twice. It's not like he drew a sight picture or anything, and the slide was locked back, but it was still irritating and unnerving. We weren't actually in the range area at the time, either... the guy was sweeping the store area of the range with my friend's gun.

I got a little short with the guy, which he seemed to think was funny. I was in the process of putting in earplugs, and didn't have a free hand; if I had, I would have walked over and physically seperated him from the gun. The bad part about the situation was that the guy had about 40 years on us, no kidding.

I guess we're really going to have to watch that in the future....I never expected something like that to happen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:47 pm 
Longtime Regular

I often get funny looks from the guy behind the counter over my efforts to make sure I never sweep anyone. Sadly, I'm guess I'm the exception, not the rule.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:51 pm 

I see this all the time at gun shows. A guy I know - retired FBI field agent, no less - picked up a pistol from the table, pointed it (at a wall, not a person) and pulled the trigger. I expressed a bit of unhappiness with his action, but he laughed it off. "He wouldn't put a gun on the table if it was loaded.", he said. I shook my head and walked away.

Idiots! They're everywhere!

jb

John Farnam (I believe)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:42 pm 
Longtime Regular

Lenny7 wrote:
I often get funny looks from the guy behind the counter over my efforts to make sure I never sweep anyone. Sadly, I'm guess I'm the exception, not the rule.

+1

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.