Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:45 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 .45 Caliber Assault Bullet 
 Post subject: .45 Caliber Assault Bullet
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:53 am 

http://media.www.thewheatonwire.com/med ... 2571.shtml

me > News
Bullet raises concern
Katie Franklin '09
Issue date: 2/11/09 Section: News

The first Safety Bulletin of the year alerted campus of a 45-caliber bullet found in a washing machine of Beard Hall. Wheaton Public Safety is collaborating with the Norton Police Department on the case. According to one of the lead investigators from Norton Police, Sergeant Jacob Dennett, the ammunition was a live round, meaning that it had not been fired but could potentially be used.

According to Sgt. Dennett, a student found the bullet in the washing machine while doing his laundry. 45-caliber bullets are used in assault weapons such as handguns, not larger weapons like hunting rifles. Norton Police was called to aid in the investigation, and a bomb-sniffing dog went through the dorm to search for evidence. No firearms were found, but the investigation is still ongoing.

Some students were confused by the sight of dogs because the notice had not yet been sent around campus. "I saw the flyers before I received the e-mail [that Dean of Students Jack Kuszaj sent to the Wheaton community that afternoon]," said Beard resident Noah Burch '09. He also noticed Public Safety going door to door asking students if they had any information about the bullet.

"My guess is that it was in someone's pocket and it found its way through the laundry," said Sgt. Dennett, "but how that came to be is an unanswered question." At the moment, police say it's possible that someone found the bullet somewhere and innocently put it in their pocket and forgot about it, or there could be more malicious intents. There is no evidence to make any such conclusions though.

"I don't think it's a big threat," said Burch, who thinks that students are concerned but not terribly worried. One of the RAs in Beard, Gregory Thompson '10, warns that students should be more vigilant because of this event. "As long as people are aware of what they're doing, like not letting people in they don't know, or propping the doors open," Thompson thinks safety should be fine. "If we can at least stop the riskier stuff from happening, then it'll be less likely that we'll have a scary problem that might lead to an unsafe situation," he said.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:32 am 
Longtime Regular

Wow. Only one?

I remember leaving a full mag of .45 cal in a pants pocket when it went into the washer. Fortunately it was a Glock mag and all I had to replace was the spring.

I also remember fishing a whole box of .22 LR out of the washing machine after the spin cycle. Bummer to lose 50 rounds that way.

Can't imagine what .45 cal or .22 LR would do to a dryer, though.

Not even gonna bother with the tripe about "assault weapons". That level of ignorance is below any of us on this board.

"We're either gonna be the best of friends or there's gonna be a whole lotta shootin' goin' on."

"I think it's a good thing for serving cops to mix with non-cops in a situation where they understand that they aren't in charge." -JoelR

"You'd be amazed at the things a bullet can stop." -Old Irish Proverb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:48 am 

I went to the range over lunch last week and upon returning to work, when I got out of my vehicle I heard a spent cartiridge clang onto the concrete. I couldn't help but wonder what kind of chaos would have ensued had I not found it.

It seems the seargant applied some level of common sense; maybe he was just going through the process to appease the sheeple. The rest of it, obvioulsy, was ridiculous.

Post subject: Re: .45 Caliber Assault Bullet
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:48 am 
Longtime Regular

rtk wrote:
http://media.www.thewheatonwire.com/med ... 2571.shtml

me > News
Bullet raises concern
Katie Franklin '09
Issue date: 2/11/09 Section: News

The first Safety Bulletin of the year alerted campus of a 45-caliber bullet found in a washing machine of Beard Hall. Wheaton Public Safety is collaborating with the Norton Police Department on the case. According to one of the lead investigators from Norton Police, Sergeant Jacob Dennett, the ammunition was a live round, meaning that it had not been fired but could potentially be used.

According to Sgt. Dennett, a student found the bullet in the washing machine while doing his laundry. 45-caliber bullets are used in assault weapons such as handguns, not larger weapons like hunting rifles. Norton Police was called to aid in the investigation, and a bomb-sniffing dog went through the dorm to search for evidence. No firearms were found, but the investigation is still ongoing.

Some students were confused by the sight of dogs because the notice had not yet been sent around campus. "I saw the flyers before I received the e-mail [that Dean of Students Jack Kuszaj sent to the Wheaton community that afternoon]," said Beard resident Noah Burch '09. He also noticed Public Safety going door to door asking students if they had any information about the bullet.

"My guess is that it was in someone's pocket and it found its way through the laundry," said Sgt. Dennett, "but how that came to be is an unanswered question." At the moment, police say it's possible that someone found the bullet somewhere and innocently put it in their pocket and forgot about it, or there could be more malicious intents. There is no evidence to make any such conclusions though.

"I don't think it's a big threat," said Burch, who thinks that students are concerned but not terribly worried. One of the RAs in Beard, Gregory Thompson '10, warns that students should be more vigilant because of this event. "As long as people are aware of what they're doing, like not letting people in they don't know, or propping the doors open," Thompson thinks safety should be fine. "If we can at least stop the riskier stuff from happening, then it'll be less likely that we'll have a scary problem that might lead to an unsafe situation," he said.

This is written as if it were in the Philippines (with all due respect to the Philippines). A loose cartridge a panic should not make. I would imagine that some students were confused, probably very confused, that a cartridge lying in a washing machine could cause a massive, bloody, shootout.

You couldn't make this stuff up if you wanted to. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:26 pm 
The Man

Reminds me of the time a few years ago that several blocks in London were shut down because somebody found a .22 cartridge on a street. No, I'm not making that up.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:02 pm 
Longtime Regular

That was a big enough whoda even I remember it. I don't think they ever caught which one of Napoleon's spies was responsible :wink:

Amazing. Just amazing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:21 pm 
Longtime Regular

What a waist of resources for a single (now dud round)! :roll: :roll:

Joel I remember reading about the killer 22LR bullet and the terror it caused. :lol: :lol:

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:03 pm 
Eagle-eyed watcher of legislation

This is why it is so important to bring people who are inexperienced with firearms to the range with you. Once people see for themselves what firearms are, how they can be handled safely, and that they aren't just killing machines waiting to kill anything that get's close, they will start to see the FUD for what it is.

Show casual people the differences between weapons included in the expired AWB and those that weren't. Show them that there is no "assault weapon" -- only rifles, shotguns and handguns.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of people out there that have never pulled the trigger on a firearm and have nothing to compare these news stories to. Oh how far we've come since the days you could be fined when your firearm wasn't with you in church. It's all about exposure. Show them the truth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:24 pm 
Longtime Regular

You know, the devil on my shoulder wonders what kind of havoc could be caused by playing a wierd version of "Johhny Appleseed"; haphazardly scattering live ammo throughout the community as I go about my day. One on top of the toilet paper dispenser at the gas station bathroom. A couple in the "Take a penny leave a penny" tray. One or two in the booth at Arby's, or McD's...

The devilish part of me thinks a guy could <strike>have a little fun</strike> roll on the floor laughing at the expense of the Pants Shitting Hysterics crowd for a very small investment.

And then the angel on the other shoulder reminds me that it's mean to harass the PSH crowd. It reminds me that the cops probably wouldn't see the humor. It reminds me that trumped up charges of "threats of terrorism" would probably be levied against me, and that I don't need that. The carry community doesn't need that. The firearms community as a whole doesn't need that.

Nope, the angel wins out this time, and by a large margin, while the devil sulks and says, "I thought we were friends. You've changed, man."

There's no doubt in my mind that my apparently newfound angelic side is a good thing. A very good thing.

But still, that damned devil has at least got me chuckling.

"We're either gonna be the best of friends or there's gonna be a whole lotta shootin' goin' on."

"I think it's a good thing for serving cops to mix with non-cops in a situation where they understand that they aren't in charge." -JoelR

"You'd be amazed at the things a bullet can stop." -Old Irish Proverb

Last edited by Binky .357 on Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:30 pm 

This shows us how easy it is to terrorize the sheep.I liked binky 357s' idea, but I wouldn't do it either. It would be fun however :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:22 pm 

At least she, and the article were roundly criticized in the ensuing comment free-for-all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:23 pm 
Longtime Regular

Quote:
One of the RAs in Beard, Gregory Thompson '10, warns that students should be more vigilant because of this event. "As long as people are aware of what they're doing, like not letting people in they don't know, or propping the doors open,

How times have changed. When I went to college, at UW Stout, in the mid 80's , we had more guns on the floor than kids. Menomonie even had a public range that we went to quite often. There were set-aside acres close to campus where we went small game hunting regularly. Almost everyone had at least a rifle, shotgun and a .22.

We left our doors propped open all the time (horrors!) and anyone could walk in and did. We never had any school shootings either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:16 pm 
Longtime Regular

A "bullet" ???

[screaming in panic, wetting pants]

I hope they closed down every school within 50 miles and brought in every available bomb squad and fire department. If that thing would have went off, it would have been like the World Trade Center.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:18 pm 
Longtime Regular

I have two cousins that went to Wheaton. I can't say that I am surprised.

The last time I read about them in the news they fired a 20 year tenured professor because he got a divorce.
Quote:
The school believes that the New Testament permits divorce onlyin cases of adultery or desertion. Wheaton requires faculty and staff to sign a faith statement and adhere to standards of conduct in areas including marriage, said Provost Stan Jones.

http://archives.chicagotribune.com/2008/apr/29/news/chi-divorced-prof-29-both-apr29

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:28 pm 
Poet Laureate

Why not just count their good fortune? I'd just slip it in my pocket and call it a good day! Don't these KIDS know it's like finding $0.30 in the couch? I hope these laundry folk make sure they call the cops next time one of them finds a terroristic nickel and quarter on the ground at a gas station.

Quote:
45-caliber bullets are used in assault weapons such as handguns, not larger weapons like hunting rifles.

O
M
G

:roll:

Srigs wrote:
Joel I remember reading about the killer 22LR bullet and the terror it caused. :lol: :lol:

+1

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.