Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:10 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Gun negligence charged 
 Post subject: Gun negligence charged
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 12:00 pm 
Longtime Regular

http://www.mankatofreepress.com/local/local_story_145220102.html

Quote:
Gun negligence charged
Bricelyn teen's family brings suit against gun owner

The Free Press

BRICELYN —
The family of a Bricelyn teen shot in the face last summer is suing the gun’s owner for negligence.

Collin Jacobson, 15 at the time, was wounded in his left eye July 22 while with friend Daniel Stallkamp at the home of Stallkamp’s grandfather, Eugene Stallkamp.

Authorities suspected early on that it was an accident, and tests showed gunpowder residue on Jacobson’s hands.

Jacobson, who was critically injured and spent months in recovery, said he doesn’t remember what happened.

The Stallkamps have asked for a dismissal of the civil lawsuit, maintaining the injuries resulted from Jacobson’s own negligence in handling the firearm.

The Jacobsons are seeking damages in excess of $50,000 plus $377,476 in existing and future medical expenses and attorney fees.

The Jacobson’s complaint states that the elder Stallkamp knew his grandson has a criminal history that includes carrying a pistol without a permit, but kept a loaded and unlocked firearm in his home.

Daniel Stallkamp was on probation at the time of the incident and was living with his grandfather.

Daniel Stallkamp contends his criminal history is irrelevant, denies knowing the gun was loaded, and denies handling it when it discharged.

A sheriff’s department investigation surmised the youths were looking at the gun when it discharged.

Post subject: Re: Gun negligence charged
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 9:04 am 
Poet Laureate

"A sheriff’s department investigation surmised the youths were looking at the gun when <strike>it discharged</strike> one of the two yahoos pulled the trigger and shot themselves."

There, fixed it for them. :D :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 9:13 am 
Longtime Regular

Seems to me that fifteen is old enough to know better.

Now, if a five-year-old had shot himself with a gun someone left lying around, I'd consider the act of leaving it lying around where a five-year-old could get hold of it to be negligence.

But fifteen? That's a different thing in my mind. (Though it doesn't seem to be, in statute.)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: 15 is Really OLD!
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 11:44 am 

Seems I got my First 22 at age 8, maybe 10. Deer hunted at 15 0r 16? (born in 1952). Still have the 22, Mossberg 16 round tube feed, in fact fired it last Sunday! Still shoots as well as a brand new Ruger 10/22 also sighted that day. I'm from Wisconsin, took hunters safety class to qualify for Deer hunting lisense. (No, I didn't get one).

Steve

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: 15 is Really OLD!
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 12:55 pm 
Raving Moderate

KA0OLD wrote:
I'm from Wisconsin...

Shhh... ...no one needs to know. We won't tell... :wink:

My real name is Jeremiah (go figure). ;)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.