Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:17 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 
 Edina student arrested; police say he pointed gun 
 Post subject: Edina student arrested; police say he pointed gun
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:53 pm 
Longtime Regular

Edina student arrested; police say he pointed gun

http://www.startribune.com/local/west/4 ... c:_Yyc:aUU

Quote:
By AIMÉE BLANCHETTE, Star Tribune
Last update: June 2, 2009 - 2:52 PM

Police have arrested an Edina High School student for allegedly pointing a Beretta replica BB gun at another student during an argument in the parking lot after school on Monday. No one was injured.

The student, an 18-year-old senior at the high school, was arrested for second-degree assault and making terroristic threats, police said.

School officials said a parent reported to them that the student had displayed a gun prior to leaving campus. School officials called police.

Edina Police interviewed the students who witnessed the incident and arrested the suspect about 10:30 p.m. Monday at his home. He was still in custody Tuesday afternoon, police said. The investigation is continuing, Edina Police spokeswoman Molly Anderson said.

Edina High School Principal Bruce Locklear said replica guns are banned on the school's campus.

Extra security was called in to the high school and police officers were patrolling the parking lot intermittently throughout the day.

With just a few days left of the school year, Locklear said, the incident was "very unfortunate."

"Our campus is a very safe campus," he said. "I don't think that yesterday's incident poses any threat further to our school."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:54 pm 
Journeyman Member

somethingsomething have your cake and eat it too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:56 pm 
Longtime Regular

Quote:
Extra security was called in to the high school and police officers were patrolling the parking lot intermittently throughout the day.

We've got to get those fake guns off the streets!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:37 pm 

Quote:
and making terroristic threats

Anyone care to reference statute on this catch all? I am guessing flippin' someone the bird and calling them an A hole would qualify as a terroristic threat. Maybe have to be wearing sandals...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:57 pm 
Longtime Regular

J. R. wrote:
Quote:
and making terroristic threats

Anyone care to reference statute on this catch all? I am guessing flippin' someone the bird and calling them an A hole would qualify as a terroristic threat. Maybe have to be wearing sandals...

609.713 TERRORISTIC THREATS

...yada yada yada...

Quote:
Subd. 3.Display replica of firearm.(a) Whoever displays, exhibits, brandishes, or otherwise employs a replica firearm or a BB gun in a threatening manner, may be sentenced to imprisonment for not more than one year and one day or to payment of a fine of not more than $3,000, or both, if, in doing so, the person either:

(1) causes or attempts to cause terror in another person; or

(2) acts in reckless disregard of the risk of causing terror in another person.

(b) For purposes of this subdivision:

(1) "BB gun" means a device that fires or ejects a shot measuring .18 of an inch or less in diameter; and

(2) "replica firearm" means a device or object that is not defined as a dangerous weapon, and that is a facsimile or toy version of, and reasonably appears to be a pistol, revolver, shotgun, sawed-off shotgun, rifle, machine gun, rocket launcher, or any other firearm. The term replica firearm includes, but is not limited to, devices or objects that are designed to fire only blanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:38 am 

Minnesota law treats a replica gun the same as a real gun when used in a crime; the assumption is that the victim cannot tell the difference between a replica and a real gun, and is thus injured (emotionally) in the same manner.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:42 am 
Longtime Regular

Erik_Pakieser wrote:
Minnesota law treats a replica gun the same as a real gun when used in a crime; the assumption is that the victim cannot tell the difference between a replica and a real gun, and is thus injured (emotionally) in the same manner.

And for the record, we do NOT want this changed.

If you're on a dark street and somebody points a pistol at you, do you want the burden of having to figure out if it's an accurate replica or the real thing before you defend yourself?

Neither did the police, hence the law.

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:02 am 
Longtime Regular

My sister got me a Colt Delta Elite airsoft for Christmas last year and, shortly after opening it, I shot my dad in the ass while he was bending over...ATTEMPTED MURDER! :roll:

I heard about this on the radio (AM1500) this morning and they were saying the kid is going to miss finals and graduation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:09 am 
Longtime Regular

macphisto wrote:
My sister got me a Colt Delta Elite airsoft for Christmas last year and, shortly after opening it, I shot my dad in the ass while he was bending over...ATTEMPTED MURDER! :roll:

I heard about this on the radio (AM1500) this morning and they were saying the kid is going to miss finals and graduation.

I'm not seeing an issue.

From what I've been reading, the kid meant to terrify the other student, and I doubt he announced it was a replica.

He's lucky all he's going to miss is graduation. If he had done that to, say, a non-student permit holder, he could be missing breathing.

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:21 am 
Longtime Regular

Well, yeah. The assault charge is arguably appropriate, we don't have details like was the kid with the BB gun a 98 pound chess club geek having an argument with the 250 lb football jock over whether he was going to perform (a sexual act) on the football player in front of the football player's
Quote:
Edina Police interviewed the students who witnessed the incident
friends. I'm not saying a BB gun is a good answer for self defense, but we live in a day and age (post columbine) where nary a kid goes through the system without full indoctrination into the evil of guns and consequences of brining one to school. I guess I am asking the un-asked question - Why was a BB gun produced in the argument? What started the issue? Is this a response to bullying gone horribly wrong, wherein the victim gets punished out of proportion for standing up in the wrong way? Sure it was an assault, but is anybody asking the important questions?

Terroristic threats, a felony, is hooked on to just about anything . . . 'cause every kid they can hook up with that charge is another non-citizen they can enslave. No 2A rights = non-citizen and it seems like the system is aiming to take that status from anybody they can. We REALLY need to get that law off the books. I never will forget meeting the kid who got that felony for telling his stepdad "If you beat my mother again I will kill you" in the heat of the teenager taking his mother's beating for her (stepping between his mom and pushing stepdad back while stepdad pummeled away). Just outrageous the way this law is applied!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:03 pm 
Longtime Regular

macphisto wrote:

When we were kids, my brother did that to my mom, with a BB gun. Thought that it was going to end in a homicide. Probably justifiable though... :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:06 pm 

Good call by the Edina PD.

I don't think anybody could make it to 18 and think that they could do that without going to jail unless they spent all of their adolescent years inside a Skinner box.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:08 pm 
Longtime Regular

right, so . . .. . why?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:24 pm 

macphisto wrote:

ATTEMPTED MURDER... I don't think so. Just simple ASSault. :twisted:
8)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.