Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:47 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Bill's Weekend - Backwards round??? 
 Post subject: Bill's Weekend - Backwards round???
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:50 pm 
Longtime Regular

Anyone post on the specifics of the knucklehead that was apparently tackled during the BGS "open house" last weekend?

I heard someone loaded a round into a mag BACKWARDS and it ended up jammed in the breech. From what I heard, just before he was tackled, he was seen trying to dislodge the round by repeatedly slamming a pen down the muzzle (yes, hitting the primer end of the round), in an attempt to dislodge the backwardly inserted round...

Did I hear a bad rumor, or have I just not searched the forum well enough to find where this is being talked about?

...just curious...

-Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:27 pm 
On time out

Had not heard about it, but would be interested to know more.

It's curios how many people will guess incorrectly if left to their own devices regarding the orientation of cartridges in a magazine. I have personally had two friends attempt to load backwards -- of course, both times it was their first range trip, and they hadn't witnessed me inserting rounds to learn by example. I wonder how experienced the guy at Bill's was?

It really did amaze me the first time someone pushed a round in backwards. I just thought: you look at the mag, you can see how it fits in the gun, you know which is the business end of the gun... you just use your cognitive abilities to arrive at the correct conclusion. But no. Once I understood that it could happen, I have never put it past anyone.

Post subject: this is too close to home
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:36 pm 
Longtime Regular

Took 2 friends shooting at the show. Buddy A hadn't shot pistols at all. Tried to load the magazine backwards every time. you'd think he'd learn ...

of course, he had 3 touching holes in the x ring out of 5 shots every time. IT was enough to make me want to spit. Of course, _I_ wasn't shooting that well :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 3:58 pm 
Longtime Regular

I've taken several newbies to the pistol range. If they're brand spankin new shooters, I demonstrate the way to load the magazines, etc.. at my house before we leave for the range. It's quieter, and I think that makes the newbies a bit more at ease. Once at the range, I carefully watch them load the magazines (and carefully watch every thing else they do with the gun). People need to learn the right way to do things- and we can help them learn that by coaching them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:35 am 
Longtime Regular

When I hit the range at the show, the RO really hovered over me until he found out I actually knew what I was doing, then left me alone. It seemed a little insulting at first, but considering the range of skills present in the crowd, in retrospect I am thankful.

In any case, I never should have shot the Springfield micro-compact! It's calling out to my paycheck!

Anyone else... uhmm... notice the .50 cal going off while they were there? I was 8 lanes away, and I was still developing a flinch :wink: !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:15 am 

ironbear wrote:
When I hit the range at the show, the RO really hovered over me until he found out I actually knew what I was doing, then left me alone. It seemed a little insulting at first, but considering the range of skills present in the crowd, in retrospect I am thankful.

In any case, I never should have shot the Springfield micro-compact! It's calling out to my paycheck!

Anyone else... uhmm... notice the .50 cal going off while they were there? I was 8 lanes away, and I was still developing a flinch :wink: !

I noticed that about the RO's also. However they seemed genuinely helpful, and made suggestions to people that were very appropriate, so I'm not at all going to fault them.

I learned that the Para Hawg isn't really for me; but the new XD 45 is the bee's knees. :D

And about the .50, yes :(

"Don't put your trust in revolutions. They always come around again. That's why they're called revolutions. People die, and nothing changes."
-- (Terry Pratchett, Night Watch)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:22 pm 
Longtime Regular

I was very thankful that the RO's were watching so carefully. My first experience at Bills Shooters Show, I wound up with an inexperienced shooter pointing a loaded gun at my head with her finger on the trigger by accident. My second shooters show, another inexperienced shooter lasered my torso with a loaded gun with his finger on the trigger. It tends to get me extremely agitated.

This most recent one, though, I saw that a clearly inexperienced shooter had come to the lane next to mine with a her friend while my buddy was shooting. I discretely stepped a little closer in case past experiences started to repeat. (Pretending I was watching my buddy shoot.) The range Officer came over, stood behind her, and watched her shoot for a little while. She was very safe with the gun through a couple of magazines, and he left. I felt much better about the experience this time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:36 am 
Raving Moderate

ironbear wrote:

I was 2 lanes away, minding my own business with a .357 snub. It wasn't the noise, it was the resonating of my chest cavity... :wink:

Post subject: Re: Bill's Weekend - Backwards round???
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:50 am 
1911 tainted

e5usmc wrote:
I heard someone loaded a round into a mag BACKWARDS and it ended up jammed in the breech. From what I heard, just before he was tackled, he was seen trying to dislodge the round by repeatedly slamming a pen down the muzzle (yes, hitting the primer end of the round), in an attempt to dislodge the backwardly inserted round...

So just a rumor? Just curious and would like to know if anyone can verifiy that this actually happened or not.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:33 am 
Longtime Regular

I am starting to lean in the rumor direction... Made for some interesting posts, however...

-Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:22 pm 
Longtime Regular

I was upstairs for the entire show, but I haven't heard about anything like that happening down on the range.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 7:28 am 
Longtime Regular

Quote:
It's curios how many people will guess incorrectly if left to their own devices regarding the orientation of cartridges in a magazine.

Did it a few months ago while renting a 1911 at Bill's in Circle Pines. I had it right initially, but then second-guessed myself and got about three rounds in backwards before I realized something was wrong. By that time an experienced shooter nearby was already telling me what a dumbass I was in the nicest tone possible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 7:49 am 
Longtime Regular

macphisto wrote:
Quote:
It's curios how many people will guess incorrectly if left to their own devices regarding the orientation of cartridges in a magazine.

Did it a few months ago while renting a 1911 at Bill's in Circle Pines. I had it right initially, but then second-guessed myself and got about three rounds in backwards before I realized something was wrong. By that time an experienced shooter nearby was already telling me what a dumbass I was in the nicest tone possible.

At least you figured it out before trying to load and fire.

Welcome to the forum! :)

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:08 am 
Longtime Regular

This is an old topic from the Spring show.

At this Fall's show, however, I saw some guys trying to load 45 ACP cartridges in a 45 GAP. Thanks to the vigilance of the many RO's, they were set straight pretty quick.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 6:00 pm 
Longtime Regular

Hey, I think we know each other. :)

Really that was no big deal, you should have seen the people in there before you. OH boy. The reason I leaned over and said something was that the guys before hand were not the most saftey conscious and I wanted to start this new relationship out on the right foot... instead of with "STOP!" while pointing down range with my off hand.

As I recall you were a pretty good shot.

macphisto wrote:
Quote:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.