Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:59 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 DEA Agent Who Shot Self In Foot Sues U.S. 
 Post subject: DEA Agent Who Shot Self In Foot Sues U.S.
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:30 pm 
Longtime Regular

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/0411061foot1.html

Film: http://www.thesmokinggun.com//graphics/movies/deaagentfoot.wmv

Quote:
APRIL 11--A Drug Enforcement Administration agent who stars in a popular online video that shows him shooting himself in the foot during a weapons demonstration for Florida children is suing over the tape's release, claiming that his career has been crippled and he's become a laughingstock due to the embarrassing clip's distribution. Lee Paige, 45, blames the video's release on DEA officials in an April 7 federal lawsuit filed against the U.S. government. A copy of the pro se complaint by Paige, a DEA agent since 1990, can be found below. According to the lawsuit, Paige was making a "drug education presentation" in April 2004 to a Florida youth group when his firearm (a Glock .40) accidentally discharged. The shooting occurred moments after Paige told the children that he was the only person in the room professional enough to carry the weapon. The accident was filmed by an audience member, and the tape, Paige claims, was turned over to the DEA. The drug agency subsequently "improperly, illegally, willfully and/or intentionally" allowed the tape to be disseminated. As a result, Paige--pictured above in a still from the video--has been the "target of jokes, derision, ridicule, and disparaging comments" directed at him in restaurants, grocery stores, and airports. Paige, who writes that he was "once regarded as one of the best undercover agents, if not the best, in the DEA," points to the clip's recent airing on popular television shows and via the Internet as the reason he can no longer work undercover. He also notes that he is no longer "permitted or able to give educational motivational speeches and presentations." (5 pages)

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:52 pm 
Longtime Regular

ROTFLASTC!

Pride goeth before the fall.

He would not be so derided if he had simply had an ND. IT was the boastful statements that sealed his fate as a laughingstock.

Post subject: Re: DEA Agent Who Shot Self In Foot Sues U.S.
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 3:10 pm 
Longtime Regular

matt160 wrote:
Quote:
Paige, who writes that he was "once regarded as one of the best undercover agents, if not the best, in the DEA,"

If that's true, God help us!

matt160 wrote:
Quote:
He also notes that he is no longer "permitted or able to give educational motivational speeches and presentations."

That's a shame, really. If he were capable of learning from the incident, had he a touch of humility, he'd be a great speaker.

I once heard a presentation from an Engineer Officer who'd been responsible for a demolitions range where something over a dozen soldiers were killed in a senseless and preventable accident. It was one of the more memorable events of my life.

He, though, didn't claim that it was all everyone else's fault.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 3:52 pm 
Longtime Regular

I'm thinking of filing a counter suit to get my percent of the tax dollars spent to train that idiot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:09 pm 
Longtime Regular

I'm still awaiting the public release of the "Glock 40" he claimed to have in the video. It must be better than all of the other Glocks because it's number is higher.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:18 pm 
Forum Moderator/<br>AV Geek

DeanC wrote:
I'm still awaiting the public release of the "Glock 40" he claimed to have in the video. It must be better than all of the other Glocks because it's number is higher.

This may have been speculation on Glocktalk (regarding the new glock supposed to have been announced mid 2005), OR maybe it was just a joke:

The glock 40 was supposed to be a .22
The Glock 22 is a .40

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:25 am 
Longtime Regular

No, it was just an illustration of the agent's ignorance. He removed the gun from his holster, locked the slide back and had someone else look in the chamber to verify it was unloaded.

Problem one: an LEO carrying a Glock in condition 3 (full magazine, nothing in the chamber).

Problem two: It really isn't unloaded even if there isn't a round in the chamber. As soon as you drop the slide on a loaded magazine, it's ready to rock.

Then he holds it up and says, "This is a Glock 40."

Problem three: ain't no such thang

Then he says "Fiddy Cent, Too Shawt, all of them talk about a Glock 40."

Problem four: really, really bad sources for firearms info

Then he drops the slide and says "I'm the only one in this room professional enough, that I know of to carry this Glock 40... I'm the only ..." BANG!

Problem five Always keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction.

Problem six Always treat every firearm as if it were loaded.

Problem seven Be sure of your target before you pull the trigger

Problem eight Acting like an arrogant jackass who is better than everyone else will eventually get you in trouble. Expecially when weapons or explosives are involved.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Here's the vid for reference:

http://www.ogrish.com/archives/2005/mar ... _shoot.wmv

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:38 am 
Longtime Regular

DeanC wrote:
Then he holds it up and says, "This is a Glock 40."

Problem three: ain't no such thang

Then he says "Fiddy Cent, Too Shawt, all of them talk about a Glock 40."

Problem four: really, really bad sources for firearms info

I suspect he was using street slang like the "musicians" he was quoting. IT's a glock in .40

I loved the reactions when he reaches fotr the next "assault rifle" type gun :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:07 pm 

Crap too bad he's a good guy. I would much rather see some gun toting criminal shoot himself in the foot. But it was his mistake. Hard to live down for sure.
Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:26 pm 

Quote:
I loved the reactions when he reaches fotr the next "assault rifle" type gun :-)

Quote:
"Put it back! Put it down!" "It's ok, it's ok, it an unloaded weapon"

Yeah, just like the first one was. What the hell was he doing in a classroom full of kids with a loaded magizine? Never heard the "No live ammunition in the classroom" lecture in his entire DEA career

Occam's Razor:
one should not increase, beyond what is necessary, the number of entities required to explain anything.
Visit us at www.ddht.us

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:25 pm 
Longtime Regular

The sad thing is, he'll probably come away from the lawsuit with a few million taxpayer dollars to retire on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:25 am 
Journeyman Member

Tha agent and his lawyer appeared on the Today program this morning. In contrast to the video, he was "Mr. Humble" through the whole interview with Matt Lauer, saying tht he had made an honest mistake by not removing the mag from the gun, thus putting a round into battery when he released the slide.

He repeated several times that this was just an honest mistake, without ever addressing the issue of bringing live rounds into a classroom. He's been taught to be humble, probably by his attorney, but he still doesn't get it. His "accident" began when he walked into that classroom to do a demo with a loaded gun. The rest was just predictable outcome.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:18 am 
Forum Moderator

Video of the Today Show appearance...

Contact us to schedule a class for you and your friends, and check our website for more information http://shootingsafely.com

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: That guy was a jackass, plain and simple.
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 3:18 pm 
Longtime Regular

I've seen that video about a dozen times, beginning with the first day it appeared on break.com and ebaumsworld. At the time, I thought it was fake. As I watched it, I wasn't sure what was more offensive: the agent breaking EVERY rule of firearms safety simultaneously (culminating in the AD into his foot), or the obvious hubris as he announced that he was the only person in the room professional enough to ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 4:03 pm 

Why don't the parents whose kids were in the room sue this moron for endangering their kids?Too bad he didn't shoot himself in a manner as to take himself out of the gene pool!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.