Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:30 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 
 Early morning shooting at Minneapolis Police 
 Post subject: Early morning shooting at Minneapolis Police
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 1:22 pm 
Longtime Regular

Too bad they police didn't get them. Of course now thie same idiots calling for more police in MPLS North will bitch about the police being there. Build a wall around it and let the disease eat itself away.

http://www.kstp.com/article/stories/S16425.html?cat=1
Quote:
MINNEAPOLIS (AP) - Two Minneapolis police officers are unhurt after an early morning shooting on the city's north side.

Officers were responding to a disturbance call (on Newton Avenue North) when they were confronted by a group of people in front of the home.

Police say someone fired a gun at the two officers, and one of the officers returned fire. The officers were not injured.

Several guns were recovered, and witnesses were taken to police headquarters for interviews. One man was arrested and booked on an unrelated warrant.

Police are investigating. The officers involved were put on administrative leave, which is standard procedure.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 6:39 am 
Longtime Regular

The problem is there are some good people who live in there because they can't afford to live elsewhere. The disease also eats uninvolved tissue as it were.

Post subject: Re: Early morning shooting at Minneapolis Police
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 7:55 am 
Raving Moderate

matt160 wrote:
Too bad they police didn't get them. Of course now thie same idiots calling for more police in MPLS North will bitch about the police being there. Build a wall around it and let the disease eat itself away.

OK, I usually don't take offense at posts, but that's a little much, isn't it? Anoka ain't exactly heaven either, mister. Tell you the truth, I'll take the punks I know over some of the jerks I've met in that part of the world...

Post subject: Re: Early morning shooting at Minneapolis Police
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 11:07 am 
Longtime Regular

Jeremiah wrote:
matt160 wrote:

OK, I usually don't take offense at posts, but that's a little much, isn't it? Anoka ain't exactly heaven either, mister. Tell you the truth, I'll take the punks I know over some of the jerks I've met in that part of the world...

Well, I actually think there's some truth to the first two sentences. As for the third, it's wrong in two ways:

One, although the comment is rhetorical, it's simply impossible to fence off a part of the city and leave it to its own devices. These newfangled "automobiles" assure that the dregs of society will not keep to themselves. We write off whole areas, even in our minds, at our peril.

Second, and most important, remember that even the worst neighborhoods have probably 95% decent people and 5% scum. It's callous to condemn the 95% to misery on the basis of the behavior of the 5%.

There is, to be sure, a sickness in some inner city communities: a sense of futility, of entitlement and of resentment.

The futility is a cultural problem that must be solved from within. The entitlement is exacerbated by metrocrats casting goverment as the solution to all of society's problems.

The resentment, especially of police, is not without justification. The Minneapolis Police do not have a good reputation for dealing justly with people -- especially minorities -- and they got that reputation the old fashioned way: They earned it.

Constructive engagement, not separation, will do the most to rehabilitate these areas. It will require three culture changes, though: The police must start living up to the "protect and serve" ideal, the city leadership needs to work toward sustainable solutions instead of window dressing, and the communities themselves need to start taking responsibility for their own success.

I'm not holding my breath for that "perfect storm" of common sense, but any part of it would help.

Last edited by Andrew Rothman on Tue May 23, 2006 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 2:30 pm 
Raving Moderate

Well, Andrew, I disagree. Being one of the apparent "idiots" calling for more police in N Mpls, I for one will be happy to see the day they start showing up, i.e., taking less than 2 hours to respond to "men with guns fighting in front of our house" calls. (Yes, BTW, true story- my parents' house.)

I agree with you that the third sentence is wrong, and I would add, adds to the problem.

Of course the MPD are not known for dealing well with some groups of people, but Minneapolis has chosen, in the alternative, to not let them deal with ANYONE- rather than addressing the issue from within.

I, too, am not holding my breath for much help from the yahoos in office, or SOME of the yahoos in the neighborhood (admittedly, the ones who often get the most press are part of the problem by their own unwillingness to change "cultural" issues in their own ethnic/racial/socioeconomic/etc communities).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 6:52 am 
Longtime Regular

I am not sure that matt160 was serious with regard to his comments so it might be prudent to leave it at that and not read too much into the words. We all know that building a wall around N Minneapolis isn’t realistic and besides, it would cost too much. We have a new Twins stadium to pay for. Nothing wrong with a few “off the wall” posts in the “stupid gun stuff” forum.
Jeremiah wrote:
…taking less than 2 hours to respond to "men with guns fighting in front of our house" calls. (Yes, BTW, true story- my parents' house.)…

Well, this is a problem but not unique to Minneapolis. I lived in South Florida (Lauderdale) for five years and there is a part of Miami called Liberty City (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberty_City,_Florida) where the cops will not go. It can take 4 hours to get a cop in this neighborhood and when they do go they go in numbers. Why? The area is just too dangerous. Granted, cops are sworn to serve and protect but for $35K per year and a six shot revolver, where is the motivation to knowingly put yourself in harms way? Last time I was in N Minneapolis around Penn Ave I called in shots fired from my cell phone. It was about 8PM (last summer and still light out) on a Saturday night and when leaving a friends party I heard two gunshots from somewhere behind me. The area isn’t safe and derogatory comments about the area and not necessarily the people are understandable in my opinion.
plblark wrote:
The problem is there are some good people who live in there because they can't afford to live elsewhere. The disease also eats uninvolved tissue as it were.

Like plblark and Andrew suggested, the perpetrators make up a very small percentage of society’s problems, unfortunately entire communities take the rap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 12:17 pm 
Longtime Regular

tepin wrote:
I am not sure that matt160 was serious with regard to his comments so it might be prudent to leave it at that and not read too much into the words.
yep, just venting.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 1:41 pm 
Raving Moderate

Fair enough... :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 1:53 pm 
Longtime Regular

If I were serious I would have called for the Marines in.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 2:38 pm 
Longtime Regular

I'm here if you need me...

:wink:

-Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 4:34 pm 
Longtime Regular

If you need the job done RIGHT, you need some Sailors !!! :shock:

:lol:

"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." [...a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand.] -- (Lucius Annaeus) Seneca "the Younger" (ca. 4 BC-65 AD),

The Nanny State MUST DIE!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 4:40 pm 
Longtime Regular

Matt wasn't talking about group hugs Rob,
he wanted the problem solved... :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 6:12 pm 
Delicate Flower

BigRobT wrote:
If you need the job done RIGHT, you need some Sailors !!! :shock:

:lol:

We'd have to deliver the grunts anyway..........you know how lost they get :P :P

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.