Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:54 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Sheriff's Deputy Mistakes Pistol for Taser 
 Post subject: Sheriff's Deputy Mistakes Pistol for Taser
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 8:30 pm 
Longtime Regular

:shock:

Quote:
BREMERTON, Wash. (AP) -- A sheriff's deputy who was trying to get a man down from a tree shot and wounded him after mistakenly pulling a gun instead of a Taser, authorities say.

The deputy, a five-year veteran of the force whose name was not released, was placed on leave while Thursday's shooting is investigated.

Deputies carry both a Taser and a gun on their utility belts. The Taser, or stun gun, is similar in shape to the compact .40-caliber gun the deputy carried, sheriff's spokesman Scott Wilson said.

The victim was listed in satisfactory condition.

The man had been climbed a fig tree and stayed there for hours, talking to himself. Deputies were unsure whether he was intoxicated or psychotic, and they wanted to get him down before he hurt himself or others, Wilson said.

Deputies and rescue workers tried to coax him down for almost two hours, during which he became increasingly hostile, said David Blakeslee, an employee at an auto repair shop nearby.

Blakeslee said the man climbed down on his own after getting shot.

"He said, `Ow, that hurt. I'm coming down, I'm coming down,'" Blakeslee said.
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/S/SHOOTING_MISTAKE?SITE=TNKIN&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060623/ap_on_fe_st/shooting_mistake_1

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud

Last edited by matt160 on Sat Jun 24, 2006 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:14 pm 
Longtime Regular

ROFL! Sometimes the wrong thing is still so effective.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 8:51 am 
Longtime Regular

Mission Accomplished!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:31 am 
Longtime Regular

I don't think it's very funny at all.

This has happened quite a few times, and sometimes the person the cop wanted to "restrain" has died.

This poor sap was probably retarded or off his medication, and is lucky to be alive.

It's a training issue, plain and simple.

There are recommendations -- like carrying the Taser in a crossdraw position -- designed to make it harder for an officer to draw the wrong tool.

This officer needs to find a new profession. I'd recommend housecleaner, where the meanest tool he has access to is a feather duster.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:19 am 
Longtime Regular

The first Tasers I remember seeing were held like a flashlight, rather than having a pistol grip. I think making them shaped more like a pistol was a mistake, for the reason that's obvious here.

And not issuing them to dumbasses would be good too. I mean, it's not like the guy was charging him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 3:10 pm 

I believe the same thing happened in Rochester some time ago. The guy survived and got a large settlement from the city.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 7:18 pm 
Longtime Regular

Danger to self/others...where have I heard that one before......what danger would "others" be.....he's up a tree......what's he going to do ..fall on them. I agree with Andrew, it is a traing issue....why not leave the tazer in the squad car, right next to the shotgun. As for the non lethal feather duster.......he's still got his unlicensed KEYS. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 7:27 pm 
Delicate Flower

What was the hurry..........he had been up there for quite some time. It certainly didn't sound like an " under stress" situation where in his haste he pulled the wrong firearm. :(

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 9:24 pm 
Longtime Regular

Hmm ya take your time. Maybe look down the barrel to see what is going to come out. Maybe try it out on yourself if you are not sure if you are holding a taser or pistol.

OK sarcasm aside, don't tasers have a big yellow or red thing on the end of them. Maybe a little picture of a guy getting electrocuted?

Another question. We have had a member of the forum talk about a silly thing an officer did, and we see stories like this every once in a while. I do not know how officers are trained. I assume they put through all of the paces of their job before they go active. I also assume that the answer to this question is "It depends". But is there any refreasher training? Or do they have to mess up before getting a talking to?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:50 pm 
Longtime Regular

It's a risk- people make mistakes, always have and always will.
Perfection is a standard to strive for, but can never be fully achieved, not for long anyway. I as a human being blew my no mistakes record decades ago.
Doesn't excuse the act, but it can and will happen again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:06 pm 

someone1980 wrote:
Another question. We have had a member of the forum talk about a silly thing an officer did, and we see stories like this every once in a while. I do not know how officers are trained.

Trained? Remedially! Don't forget, they "know how to handle a gun."

To be honest, the vast majority of officers I've met have been very professional and haven't given me reason to run for cover. Still, it only takes one idiot to get you killed.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 7:09 am 
Longtime Regular

Brewman wrote:
It's a risk- people make mistakes, always have and always will.
Perfection is a standard to strive for, but can never be fully achieved, not for long anyway. I as a human being blew my no mistakes record decades ago.
Doesn't excuse the act, but it can and will happen again.

That is true. With the number of officers running around, one really does not hear about these sorts of things too often.

Post subject: Crap will happen
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 8:20 am 

Even with the best training and range time, SHIT will happen! Just ask anyone who shoots IDPA or USPSA.... Who knows what will happen under stress? Remember we teach that in our carry class?? :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:01 am 
Longtime Regular

Abalone!

This wasn't a "stuff happens" mistake. This wasn't a "it could happen to anyone" moment, or a "nobody's perfect" situation.

The cop used a deadly weapon in place of a restraint device.

This was a full-on brain malfunction on top of inadequate training and planning.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:08 am 
Longtime Regular

Andrew Rothman wrote:
Abalone!

This wasn't a "stuff happens" mistake. This wasn't a "it could happen to anyone" moment, or a "nobody's perfect" situation.

The cop used a deadly weapon in place of a restraint device.

This was a full-on brain malfunction on top of inadequate training and planning.

Andrew, right on !!

"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." [...a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand.] -- (Lucius Annaeus) Seneca "the Younger" (ca. 4 BC-65 AD),

The Nanny State MUST DIE!!!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.