Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:11 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Laser Warning. 
 Post subject: Laser Warning.
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:50 pm 
Longtime Regular

Why do Crimson Trace laser grips come with the laser radiation warning?

If I was staring at a beam of laser light coming from a .38, the least of my worries is gonna be temporary blindness.

Anyone else see really stupid gun warnings?

"We're either gonna be the best of friends or there's gonna be a whole lotta shootin' goin' on."

"I think it's a good thing for serving cops to mix with non-cops in a situation where they understand that they aren't in charge." -JoelR

"You'd be amazed at the things a bullet can stop." -Old Irish Proverb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:17 pm 
Longtime Regular

Normal laser warning. Something about a Class III device?

Because it happens to be on a firearm, you REALLY shouldn't be pointing the laser at your eyes anyways. Unless of course you are bouncing the laser off of a mirror... and then you only have to be weary of the Class III restrictions. Basically you have to have the beam in your eye for some time before it causes harm.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:17 am 
Longtime Regular

I have a similar (I think) on my laser pointer. Just the usual lawyer derived mumbo jumbo. No much different, IMHO, than any other of the needless warnings we all get exposed to.
Rather like the warning on a cup of coffe- "Warning- contents hot"
DUH.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:40 am 
Longtime Regular

The warning is there because some Ass-hat looked into the light. I say take the warning labels off of everything and let nature take its course. If you can't figure out not to blow dry your hair in the shower on your own. I think you deserve whats coming to you. :lol:

Not really, but these labels and warning are just out of hand. Nothing like haveing an owners manual that has 8 pages of warnings and three pages of instructuions. :shock:

That is all....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:20 pm 
Longtime Regular

I own a laser for aligning the mirrors on my telescope, it is very powerful, and you should not look into it, as it will cause damage to your retinas. I believe it is a class III laser and it has to be registered with the feds. :|

You should be very careful with class III lasers they are not toys.

I use a .49 mw green laser sometimes to point at stars, if I looked into the laser I would lose vision, even seeing it reflect off the ground at night hurt my eyes! Some kid got their hands on it. :(

Note: The green laser (actually 2 lasers one feeding light to power another) are really cool because, at night, you can see the laser light in the air, This makes it very useful for showing people what star you are looking at or even aiming telescopes.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/lights/5a47/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:55 pm 
Site Admin

Lasers don't have to be registered. If they're over 5mw, you need a permit for certain uses (e.g. professional light shows). The FAA requests to be notified if you're going to point one up outdoors.

And ThinkGeek's green laser is seriously overpriced.

(I wonder how well lasers do as self-defense weapons. I figure I'm pretty safe if the bad guy can't see me.)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:49 pm 
Longtime Regular

SethB wrote:
Lasers don't have to be registered. If they're over 5mw, you need a permit for certain uses (e.g. professional light shows).

I had to register mine with the feds, It was a lovely form I had to fill out before they would let me leave the store.

SethB wrote:
The FAA requests to be notified if you're going to point one up outdoors.

I can't see this, they would be over welmed with calls by astronomers.

SethB wrote:

Green lasers are always expensive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:32 pm 
Longtime Regular

SethB wrote:
I wonder how well lasers do as self-defense weapons. I figure I'm pretty safe if the bad guy can't see me.

I think sharks (or mutated Ill tempered sea bass) with frickin laser beams on their heads would probably make pretty good weapons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:06 pm 
Longtime Regular

Brewman wrote:
SethB wrote:
I wonder how well lasers do as self-defense weapons. I figure I'm pretty safe if the bad guy can't see me.

I think sharks (or mutated Ill tempered sea bass) with frickin laser beams on their heads would probably make pretty good weapons.

You are correct Dr. Brewman! :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:46 pm 

grayskys wrote:
Brewman wrote:
SethB wrote:

You are correct Dr. Brewman! :twisted:

Sorry to interupt, but it's not frickin laser beams.................................................It's sharks with "laser beams".
This is VERY important!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:53 pm 
Longtime Regular

LOL!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 3:32 pm 
Longtime Regular

There's a "fricken" somewhere in that scene. Now I'll just have to watch the movie. Not a bad way to spend a day when it's too "fricken" hot to be outside for more than a few minutes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 4:56 pm 

Quote:
There's a "fricken" somewhere in that scene. Now I'll just have to watch the movie. Not a bad way to spend a day when it's too "fricken" hot to be outside for more than a few minutes.

Isn't the line, "Throw me a frickin' bone, here."? It's been a while since I saw the movie, but I think Dr. Evil was demanding "one miilllliioonn dollars" from the world governments, and they started laughing at him. Then his lieutenant suggested he ask for a few billion instead, and the "frickin' bone" thing was said.

At least I *think* that's how it went.

TK

-Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334 (C.J.Boyd, Ed., 1950)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 12:26 am 

He's correct, it was a frrickin bone.
The sharks needed not only laser beams, but "laser beams"
And if I remember correctly, this was all part of the Alan Parsons Project.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 9:58 am 
Longtime Regular

SethB wrote:
Lasers don't have to be registered. If they're over 5mw, you need a permit for certain uses (e.g. professional light shows). The FAA requests to be notified if you're going to point one up outdoors.

(I wonder how well lasers do as self-defense weapons. I figure I'm pretty safe if the bad guy can't see me.)

If you think these are expensive, look at http://www.wickedlasers.com. of course, these will pop balloons and light matches....

At a previous job, I worked with industrial lasers. That was very interesting. Since they were infra-red you couldn't see them, but they were very good at cutting/burning things. Even at the low setting settings used to align optics paths, a quick pulse of an unfocused beam could still do things like burn a hole through a T-shirt or take off a small patch of hair! (Not me fortunately) Part of our safety training was, "If your safety glasses turn black and start smoking.....MOVE!" :shock:

Last edited by ironbear on Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.