Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:53 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Interesting article, I mean a stupid article. 
 Post subject: Interesting article, I mean a stupid article.
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:40 pm 
1911 tainted

What do you think???

http://www.khaleejtimes.com/DisplayArticleNew.asp?xfile=data/opinion/2006/July/opinion_July43.xml&section=opinion&col=

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:37 pm 
Longtime Regular

I love the left. They just throw stuff against the wall and hope it sticks.

Apparently, word of Mr. Bellesiles work being shreaded has yet to float across that small body of water that seperates the USA from the UK. Or maybe this guy is just an idiot. :bang:

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:47 pm 
1911 tainted

Moby Clarke wrote:
Apparently, word of Mr. Bellesiles work being shreaded has yet to float across that small body of water that seperates the USA from the UK. :bang:

You mean the part that he had an award issued to him for this study and the paper/book that was published, but it was later rescinded because it became apparent that his study was a pack of lies, or that also he was asked/forced to resign from the university that he was employed by because of this scandal?

Now quit wrecking a perfectly good article with facts, I mean, what the hell were you thinking?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:00 am 
Longtime Regular

You mean, Samuel Colt didn't invent firearms as a way to empower the KKK to supress natives and people of color? I thought Moore said something like that ... :D

Quick link on Mr. Bellesiles:
http://worldnetdaily.com/news/article.a ... E_ID=44942

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:35 am 
Longtime Regular

lance22 wrote:
You mean, Samuel Colt didn't invent firearms as a way to empower the KKK to supress natives and people of color? I thought Moore said something like that ... :D

Quick link on Mr. Bellesiles:
http://worldnetdaily.com/news/article.a ... E_ID=44942

Just for giggles, I sent "PhillipGK@aol.com" your link. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 2:07 pm 
Longtime Regular

Quote:
Not only is it possible in many American states to buy a handgun over the counter, no questions asked...
"No questions asked?" Where in America can you buy over the counter without filling out some form with questions?Zero research journalism, I guess.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 2:25 pm 
Forum Moderator/<br>AV Geek

ironbear wrote:
Quote:
Not only is it possible in many American states to buy a handgun over the counter, no questions asked...
"No questions asked?" Where in America can you buy over the counter without filling out some form with questions?Zero research journalism, I guess.

It's possible they meant "no questions asked" as in "what are you going to do with this gun?"

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 4:28 pm 
Longtime Regular

Truth in journalism from the Euroweenies?? ROTFLMAO

"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." [...a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand.] -- (Lucius Annaeus) Seneca "the Younger" (ca. 4 BC-65 AD),

The Nanny State MUST DIE!!!

Post subject: Letter to the author (long)
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:12 pm 
Longtime Regular

This is the text of an e-mail sent to the Editor of the Khaleef Times and Mr. Knightley:

Dear Mr. Knightley:

I read your article with amazement, as teacher of History I find many of your "facts" to be indeed nonsense. It intrigues me that you purport to know of what you speak but you apparently know nothing about the history of firearms in the United States.

"... Not only is it possible in many American states to buy a handgun over the counter, no questions asked..."

Our first blatant error, Federal law requires a lengthy form with many questions as well as a national police (FBI) background check before any handgun can be purchased "over the counter" in the US, in addition many states have more restrictive laws regarding handgun purchases.

"... Any move to do so is met by the wrath of the National Rifle Association, one of the most powerful lobbies in the United States. Its case is simple: the framers of the American Constitution, those self-reliant frontiersmen, won freedom from English repression in the War of Independence because they had a Constitutional right to bear arms. "

The Constitution did not take effect until well after the Revolutionary war was won, this is prima facia evidence that you did either little or no research into the above statement.

"... But at last someone has had the courage— and you need it to take on the National Rifle Association— to say that this whole story is a load of rubbish. Professor Michael Bellesiles, of Emory University, Atlanta, has looked at gun ownership at the time of the War of Independence, looking mainly at probate inventories, where citizens had to list everything they owned..."

This is another indication of the quality of your research, Dr. Bellesiles was terminated for academic fraud from Emory University after the prize he won for his book, The Arming of America. His termination and the removal of his book from print are the result of having fabricated much if not all of his research.

"... Surprise, surprise: at no time before 1850 did more than a tenth of the adult male population own guns."

Bad data, see above, all information from Bellesiles is suspect at best, fraudulent at worst.

"As a result, murders increased dramatically. As the author Alasdair Palmer, an advocate of gun control, has written, `It is a lot easier to shoot people dead than it is to strangle them, drown them, kick them, stab them or axe them to death (the favoured methods of murder before the widespread availability of guns.'"

It seems to me that the criminals in Great Britain have no problem killing people with knives and other non firearm weapons, perhaps we need knife and tool controls.

"...Not so, says Palmer. Tombstone, Arizona and Dodge City, Kansas, towns notorious in Hollywood mythology actually had very low murder rates because cowboys had their guns confiscated at the city limits..."

This is not exactly true, at one time Dodge did ban guns for a short period, all that was accomplished was that the locals (who by the way were allowed to keep their guns) took advantage of the travelers. More accurately, the murder rate was low because most of the people were armed this made trying to kill them a dangerous proposition, you could get dead yourself.

"...In short there was no tradition and culture of the gun, of farmers with rifles and cowboys with Colts, in the United States except in Hollywood movies..."

Not even worth comment, if no one was buying Colt firearms, how did Colonel Colt sell so many?

"...So should the Second Amendment be abolished? It turns out that there is no need to do so. The full Second Amendment reads: `A well-regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to bear arms shall not be infringed.'"

I missed the US Supreme Court decision that changed the interpretation of the Constitution to reflect this, as well as your appointment to the bench.

"... So it was the right of the people to organize and arm themselves as militias, repeat militias, that was being guaranteed, not the right to carry arms when on private business."

I think you need to look up the meaning of a militia in an "American" English dictionary, you will discover that you have based this statement on, surprise, bad data a habit you have demonstrated throughout this screed.

"...There is nothing to stop Congress imposing gun control, except for Americans' relatively newfound love for the gun. For this a large share of the blame belongs to Hollywood..."

Except the Constitution of the United States and a couple of centuries worth of Supreme Court decisions. Your ignorance of this issue is remarkable, I have found the British press for the most part to be factually accurate, this piece of work really does not deserve the time I spent replying to it, next time try doing some research rater than making it up as you go along!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:46 pm 
Longtime Regular

jac714, Nice. 8)

Won't help much, but still very nice. :roll:

By the way, welcome to ther forum. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:24 pm 
Longtime Regular

I know but I was inspired by his idiocy.

Thanks for the welcome, I have been lurking for a few weeks.

Post subject: Re: Letter to the author (long)
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:30 pm 
Site Admin

jac714 wrote:
"...So should the Second Amendment be abolished? It turns out that there is no need to do so. The full Second Amendment reads: `A well-regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to bear arms shall not be infringed.'"

I missed the US Supreme Court decision that changed the interpretation of the Constitution to reflect this, as well as your appointment to the bench.

You also missed the fact that the Second Amendment was misquoted.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:23 pm 
Delicate Flower

Nice job jac714 and welcome aboard. :)

I think your letter will fall upon deaf ears but at least they realize (hopefully) that not everyone signs off on their dribble. :roll:

You write well........could it be?...............
jac.... hmmmmmmmmmmmmm....junior andrew cadet???? :? :?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:02 pm 
Longtime Regular

Nope, my initials are JAC and the Hull Number of my first sub was the 714. Thank you for the compliment on my writing. I teach at a writing intensive High School so I have to stay on top of it or the students will get better than I and that is embarrassing.

I have no hope that the fool will have the courage of his convictions and reply; if he does I will post the reply. I also don’t expect much from a newspaper for the United Arab Emirates but who knows.

Have a good one.

"For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
-Unknown

Honorably Discharged member of Uncle Sam's Underwater Canoe Club.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:15 pm 
Delicate Flower

sub.............hmmm another Navy vet..............cool

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.