Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:46 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
 Gun 'Microstamping' Bill Passes California Senate 
 Post subject: Gun 'Microstamping' Bill Passes California Senate
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:09 pm 
Longtime Regular

:evil:

Quote:
they can quickly track down the legal owner of the handgun that fired it
Legal owners are not going to go about shooting, it's the criminals who illegally obtained a gun.

http://www.crosswalk.com/news/1418188.html
Quote:
Gun 'Microstamping' Bill Passes California Senate
Susan Jones
Senior Editor

(CNSNews.com) - The California Senate on Thursday passed a bill that would require the "microstamping" of semi-automatic handguns -- giving cartridges fired from those guns a unique imprint, which according to gun control advocates, would help police solve crimes.

Supporters say microstamping would turn spent cartridges into potential evidence in civil and criminal cases. According the California Million Mom March, "when the police retrieve the bullet casing at a crime scene, they can quickly track down the legal owner of the handgun that fired it."

Nonsense, say Second Amendment supporters, who view the bill as yet another attempt to burden gun manufacturers and further restrict gun sales in the state. They say that gun makers, faced with the added expense of microstamping semiautomatic weapons, would either stop selling their wares in California or drastically raise prices.

The bill (AB 352) would "expand the definition of unsafe handgun to include semiautomatic pistols that are not designed and equipped with a microscopic array of characters, that identify the make, model, and serial number of the pistol, etched into the interior surface or internal working parts of the pistol, and which are transferred by imprinting on each cartridge case when the firearm is fired."

The bill passed the California Senate 22-18 and it now goes to the Assembly -- for a "fight and a final vote," said the California NRA Members' Councils, a grassroots gun-rights network.
The bill's lead sponsor, Assemblyman Paul Koretz (D-West Hollywood) acting in tandem with the Coalition to Stop Handgun Violence, has been fighting to pass the bill since last year.

Griffin Dix, the president of the California Million Mom March Chapters, said police fail to make an arrest in approximately 45 percent of all homicides in California because they lack the evidence they need. "This bill will help police...by providing them with new and meaningful leads for solving handgun crimes," Dix said.

But the California NRA Members' Councils says the microstamping would create false evidence trails.

"Micro-stamped cartridge cases fired and abandoned at government agencies facilities or private shooting ranges could be gathered and used to 'seed' crime scenes with the with 'evidence,' implicating law enforcement officers and citizens" in crimes they had nothing to do with, the group said in an analysis on its website.

The gun-rights group also said microstamped cartridges could not be recycled because they might implicate secondary users of reloaded cartridges. "Millions of pounds of metals will be turned into scrap and require expense disposal requirements imposed so it will not enter landfills."

And without the ability to sell and recycle used (microstamped) cartridge cases, the cost of firearms training will increase for government agencies, the gun rights group added.

Second Amendment supporters also note that microstamps can be easily defeated by replacing parts of the handgun that have been stamped; polishing the microstamp with abrasives or modifying the stamp; and in some cases, the stamped markings may be filled in with residue produced by normal firing of the gun.

Paul Helmke, the new president of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, applauded the California State Senate for "embracing this innovative technology," and he said he hopes Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger "will listen to a fellow Republican and sign this bill once it passes."

Second Amendment supporters, meanwhile, say they will mobilize grassroots opposition to the bill in an effort to prevent it from landing on the governor's desk.
[/url]

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:17 pm 
Longtime Regular

Will CA ever learn? I don't even want to visit. :evil:

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:25 pm 
Longtime Regular

The smart(?) bad guys will switch over to revolvers... :roll:

Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever seen someone bust a cap from a wheelgun gangsta-style....

-Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:59 pm 
Longtime Regular

The real question (if this repasses the assembly and is signed by the gov) is, how will the firearms industry react?

1) Make all handguns to the Cal. standard meaning more expensive handguns every where.

2) Stop selling handguns in Cal.?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:13 pm 

grayskys wrote:
The real question (if this repasses the assembly and is signed by the gov) is, how will the firearms industry react?

1) Make all handguns to the Cal. standard meaning more expensive handguns every where.

2) Stop selling handguns in Cal.?

I've always wondered why they don't opt for number 2. Is it business? Or are they concerned about a slippery slope reaction by other states (which seems to me to be an NRA-type argument against). I say, let 'em secede.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:27 pm 
Delicate Flower

Only added problems....no real solutions "where was your semi-automatic on the night of........." :roll:

CA breaking off and sliding into the Pacific would sure solve a lot of problems. 8)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:26 pm 

It annoys me how they are calling a handgun "unsafe" without this marking device in it. Sneaky way to add it to the restrictive gun rules. I'm wondering, if adding this extra device, would it actually detract from the safety? Its another piece to fail, another piece to catch on a bullet, another part to wear down and cause issues..

My Homebrew journal http://brew.goalie.cx

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:12 pm 
Longtime Regular

I know Lawyers and Dems are bedfellows, yes a stereotype statement, but how on earth do you prosecute a gun. I'm specifically thinking of the "red light cameras" which were ruled against because it does'nt prove that the registered owner was the driver!!
I'm dreaming of the" big one ", but until then, I hope the gun industry follows Ronnie Barretts example, he truly is a great American 8) 8)
http://www.barrettrifles.com/news/ltr_bratton.htm
http://www.barrettrifles.com/news/ca_outcome.htm
http://cc.msnscache.com/cache.aspx?q=39 ... &FORM=CVRE

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:29 am 
Longtime Regular

According to http://www.calnra.com AB 352 Microstamping Bill was defeated in the Assembly.

http://nramemberscouncils.com/legs.shtml?summary=ab352&year=2006

:D :D :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:01 am 
Longtime Regular

They keep trying though and one of these days they will get that stupid law passed.

If life was fair, Robins couldn't eat worms...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:54 am 
Forum Moderator/<br>AV Geek

It just hit me, the more they try and lose the more they can spin it to look like the NRA is an evil organization... yikes.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.