Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:03 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 Glock goes off all by itself in a Wal-Mart bathroom 
 Post subject: Glock goes off all by itself in a Wal-Mart bathroom
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:20 pm 
Longtime Regular

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=2406862

Quote:
HUDSON, N.H. Sep 7, 2006 (AP)— A Nashua man faces a felony reckless conduct charge after his gun discharged in a Wal-Mart bathroom, striking the ceiling and scaring an employee in the next stall.

Charles Masterson, 36, said he pointed his gun toward the ceiling because he had been taught that was the safest thing to do when it wasn't being used.

The precaution backfired when the gun discharged Tuesday night while Masterson was in the bathroom.

Police charged him for putting the teenage employee in danger. Masterson's 13-year-old son also was in the bathroom.

Masterson was jailed overnight, but released on personal recognizance Wednesday after his arraignment in Nashua District Court.

Masterson said he had been carrying the Glock 9mm pistol in his waistband.

The Wal-Mart employee, Adam Carew, 17, of Dracut, Mass., told police he was in the handicapped accessible stall when he heard the gunshot. Carew said he ran out and saw Masterson's son covering his ears.

Carew told police Masterson walked out of his stall, put the gun in his pants and just walked right out of the bathroom like nothing happened.

Wal-Mart employees called police.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:33 pm 
Longtime Regular

Glocks just don't do that. Either the firearm was seriously broken, had been modified some how, or (most likely IMHO) he had his finger on the trigger.

I know firearms can fails, but EVERY AD that I have ever heard about, with a glock, involved something (a finger or a holster strap) comming in contact with the trigger.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:47 pm 
Longtime Regular

Bah sorry I didn't add my comment pondering what the idiot did.

Of course Glocks are high quality pistols, and even if you throw it off of a high building or run it over with a truck it will not fire, until one of course one finger mashes the trigger.

How does one turn a pistol towards the ceiling and have it go off? Did he have his finger in the trigger guard when he turned it?

From the NH site http://www.nh.gov/safety/nhsp/plupr.html it does not look like one needs training to get a permit. I could be incorrect about that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:53 pm 
Longtime Regular

grayskys wrote:
Glocks just don't do that. Either the firearm was seriously broken, had been modified some how, or (most likely IMHO) he had his finger on the trigger.

I know firearms can fails, but EVERY AD that I have ever heard about, with a glock, involved something (a finger or a holster strap) comming in contact with the trigger.

No sleight intended, but this is not just semantics

There is no such thing as an Accidental Discharge, for any of many reasons, it is a Negligent Discharge.
A firearm that leaves the hands of a competent gunsmith will not discharge without significant human intervention. If it does, reclassify the gunsmith as incompetent, as he is where the negligence was interposed into the situation.

UT BCI Certified Conceal/Carry Instructor

"If you expect the police to always be able to protect you, why are the ones who show up at crimes called 'detectives' instead of 'defenders'? Detectives try to find a criminal after they've committed a crime."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:19 pm 
Longtime Regular

Just so everyone understand I was just stating my opinion that, Glocks, H&Ks, Sigs, XDs, and such guns just don’t go off; I was not trying to attack anyone except possibly the guns carrier or the IIQ (Idiot In Question).

That article lacks terribly in details and the implication is that a gun just decided to go bang The story also quotes Masterson saying “he had been carrying the Glock 9mm pistol in his waistband”, I am wondering why no holster? I have seen many people in Movies and TV carry that way, with the firearm stuck in your pants with the barrel pointed at a very sensitive area... All I can ask I guess is; who taught this guy firearms safety?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:05 am 
Longtime Regular

grayskys wrote:
That article lacks terribly in details and the implication is that a gun just decided to go bang The story also quotes Masterson saying “he had been carrying the Glock 9mm pistol in his waistband”, I am wondering why no holster?

Oh boy. I assumed that he ment he was carrying it IWB in a holster. The thought that he could have shoved a loaded pistol into his waistband... man that makes the whole story make good sense.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:32 am 
Longtime Regular

You can be sure the firearm was discharged by some action from the owner. If the gun had went off all by itself, he wouldn't trust it enough to stick it in his pants. Glocks do not go off by themselves.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:04 pm 

Sounds to me like a classic case of bad dumb ass, and the symptom being "booger hook on the bang switch".

RTK

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:52 pm 
Forum Moderator/<br>AV Geek

This was my favority response to this story on Glocktalk:
Quote:
Originally posted by hankhan
... It's possible he was so happy with the results of his deposit in the bowel that he fired his gun in a moment of celebration. ...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 5:31 pm 
Longtime Regular

At least the guy in the next stall was in the right place and position to have the shit scared out of him (literally, in this case).

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.