Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:18 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Man Shoots Neighbor Through the Wall 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 9:44 pm 
1911 tainted

oscar wrote:
"Five gallon pail filled with old telephone books, magazines etc"
I've never tried to fire a round or heard but, could a round penetrate 13"-15" of stacked paper like this??

I use a 6 gallon pail and have single sheets of newspaper cut to fit and one of those padded snap on cover seats that you can buy at Gander Mountain for a few bucks. When ever I load my carry weapon, I have the muzzle just about on this pail cover in case I have a mechanical failure, and yes it can happen. I was at a match, told to load and make ready, and when I dropped the slide on my Springfield Armory Trophy Match, it went bang. Testing later showed a firing pin mark in every round that the slide was dropped on, this was a mechanical failure that can happen to anyone, therefore the impact item that I suggest when loading in a residence.

Yes, this took many, many episodes of "24" to get the papers sheets cut to fit, but I believe it is dense enough to stop, or greatly reduce the velocity of a hollow point round in the event of a mechanical failure that results in a round being fired. Plus it doubles a seat for when someone is in my loading room for a BS session about guns, reloading, Minnesota carry, etc.

I know of an instructor that filled a 1 gallon ice cream pail with sand and fired straight down into it. Found the bullet at the bottom of the impact area, but he said it did make a pretty good mess.

So if it is my pail method, a pail of sand, or a box filled with your old magazines, please use something as an impact area instead of a wall with an unknown victim on the other side.

Last edited by cobb on Sat Sep 30, 2006 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 9:46 pm 
Longtime Regular

Cobb, have you actually tested your bucket?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 9:47 pm 
1911 tainted

grayskys wrote:

No, I have not.

Edited to add - good point, maybe I should. I have a stack of old newspapers earmarked for recycling and the stack is just about as deep as my bucket, maybe I should do a test and really see what happens with a 45 acp and 200 gr. Speer Gold Dot.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 9:54 pm 
Longtime Regular

cobb wrote:
grayskys wrote:

No, I have not.

Might not testing (in a safe area) be a good idea or at least fun?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 10:03 pm 
1911 tainted

grayskys wrote:
cobb wrote:
grayskys wrote:

No, I have not.

I have the safe area to do this, and have a pretty good idea as to how to do this and keep all of my toes. :wink:

But then you guys would want digital picture posted of before, during and after of the whole thing. I just couldn't do this alone, I would need some skilled person like ttousi to witness and record all of this information. But he would never travel to the Mankato area for such a task, even if I bought breakfast. :?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 10:09 pm 
Longtime Regular

cobb wrote:
grayskys wrote:
cobb wrote:
grayskys wrote:

No, I have not.

I have the safe area to do this, and have a pretty good idea as to how to do this and keep all of my toes. :wink:

LOL! :lol:

cobb wrote:
But then you guys would want digital picture posted of before, during and after of the whole thing. I just couldn't do this alone, I would need some skilled person like ttousi to witness and record all of this information. But he would never travel to the Mankato area for such a task, even if I bought breakfast. :?

I have a very nice digital camera, would be willing to travel to Mankato, and have a definite liking for breakfast. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 1:02 am 

theboxotruth.com is an interesting site.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 1:45 am 
Longtime Regular

glock+ipod wrote:
Understatement! Anybody who ever fires a gun or thinks about firing a gun should check it out.

'Beauty is truth, truth beauty,—that is all
Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.'

—John Keats (who, I am pretty sure, I have never ever quoted before. That is how inspiring the Box O' Truth is.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:04 am 
Delicate Flower

cobb wrote:
grayskys wrote:
cobb wrote:
grayskys wrote:

No, I have not.

cost you lunch too :P

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:34 am 
Longtime Regular

And he has some testing for us!

The Box O' Truth #31 - The Books O' Truth
http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot31.htm

edit: And the snake shot article was fun too!

Pat Cannon wrote:
glock+ipod wrote:
Understatement! Anybody who ever fires a gun or thinks about firing a gun should check it out.

'Beauty is truth, truth beauty,—that is all
Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.'

—John Keats (who, I am pretty sure, I have never ever quoted before. That is how inspiring the Box O' Truth is.)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.