Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:54 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Man Shoots Neighbor Through the Wall 
 Post subject: Man Shoots Neighbor Through the Wall
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:56 am 

http://www.woai.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=56124DB6-EFDE-43B1-BDDD-865239BE2C70

Quote:
Man Shoots Neighbor Through the Wall
LAST UPDATE: 9/25/2006 5:23:50 PM

Jesse Hernandez, 35, says he was cleaning his M-16 when it just went off. The bullet went through his wall and killed 24-year-old neighbor Salvo Garcia. After the weapon fired, Hernandez thought the odds of the bullet hitting someone were remote. This all happened late Friday night on Bandera Road near Hillcrest.

The bullet pierced a bedroom wall, and then passed through a headboard and struck Garcia in the back of the head while he slept. Garcia's wife found her husband when she got home from work just after midnight Saturday morning. When Hernandez heard Garcia's wife scream, he said he fled to his brother's house before telling police.

Police aren't sure if any charges will be filed in the case but they do say the shooting does look accidental.

"Anytime someone discharges a weapon, there's accountability," said San Antonio police spokesman Joe Rios.

Hernandez says he feels bad for the Garcia family and wishes it never happened. He also says he is getting rid of his gun. He bought it a few months ago for protection.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:33 am 
Journeyman Member

What kind of moron cleans his unit when its still loaded?

Very Sad!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:47 am 
Longtime Regular

oscar wrote:
I feel certain that in almost every such case, the shooter says he was 'cleaning the weapon' because they don't want to say "I was playing Rambo" or "I was practicing my quick draw".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:55 am 
The Man

Pat Cannon wrote:
oscar wrote:
I feel certain that in almost every such case, the shooter says he was 'cleaning the weapon' because they don't want to say "I was playing Rambo" or "I was practicing my quick draw".
Yup. Discharges while "cleaning" are -- with just about no exceptions -- either playing or suicide.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:05 am 
Designated waste of protoplasm

joelr wrote:
Pat Cannon wrote:
oscar wrote:
Yup. Discharges while "cleaning" are -- with just about no exceptions -- either playing or suicide.

Rule #1 - A gun is always loaded...
Rule #2 - See Rule #1

Unbelievable that people use that I was cleaning it and it went off routine still.

I saw an ND once - guy with a 1911 - jsut got it back from having some adjustments done to it.

Opened box - inserted loaded mag dropped slide (while pointing in a safe direction of course....) FINGER WAS NOWHERE NEAR THE TRIGGER - I was watching - BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG..... Full auto..

Bad Sear or something .... 7 x 45 cal holes in floor...... and that happened FAST. like 1.2 seconds....

ears rang for a week.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:08 am 
Longtime Regular

Pinnacle wrote:
I saw an ND once - guy with a 1911 - jsut got it back from having some adjustments done to it.

Opened box - inserted loaded mag dropped slide (while pointing in a safe direction of course....) FINGER WAS NOWHERE NEAR THE TRIGGER - I was watching - BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG..... Full auto..

Bad Sear spring.... 7 x 45 cal holes in floor......

Did you mean to call that a AD? Or was it a ND because not at a range to check it for function after having work done?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:21 pm 
Delicate Flower

Have a real hard time with the "they were cleaning it and it went off and killed them" statement. Were they blowing down the muzzle to clear it? I suspect that most are suicide. :(

Also agree that most accidents of this sort are the "rambo's" or quick draw artists. :x

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:22 am 
Designated waste of protoplasm

plblark wrote:
Pinnacle wrote:

Did you mean to call that a AD? Or was it a ND because not at a range to check it for function after having work done?

Well - yeah he most certainly should have been at the range to test a gun that was just in for repair.

There were people under the floor where he was..... Luck was on his side that day - errr. sort of.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 12:33 pm 
Forum Moderator

I'm very reluctant to chamber anything in the house, other than the carry guns!

I've got dummy rounds for function testing in the house.

Even pointed in a "safe" direction, an AD with the 50BMG would blow out all my basement windows, not to mention my eardrums! :shock:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 12:51 pm 
Longtime Regular

plblark wrote:
Pinnacle wrote:

If you think about it an AD is always an ND someone neglect to make some checks that saves the wishing for a second chance. In the case of a 1911 rocking through a mag, a simple dry test would have saved the 8 holes in the floor. This should have been done by the smith doing the work, but certainly by the operator before loading.

UT BCI Certified Conceal/Carry Instructor

"If you expect the police to always be able to protect you, why are the ones who show up at crimes called 'detectives' instead of 'defenders'? Detectives try to find a criminal after they've committed a crime."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:57 pm 
Longtime Regular

"Playing Rambo".....LMAO!

Terrible tragedy, though, and completely avoidable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 6:35 pm 
Journeyman Member

Pinnacle wrote:

Bad Sear or something .... 7 x 45 cal holes in floor...... and that happened FAST. like 1.2 seconds....

ears rang for a week.

My instructor told us a very novel way for doing this in the house. "Five gallon pail filled with old telephone books, magazines etc"
I've never tried to fire a round or heard but, could a round penetrate 13"-15" of stacked paper like this??

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 6:41 pm 
Delicate Flower

oscar wrote:
Pinnacle wrote:

ears rang for a week.

My instructor told us a very novel way for doing this in the house. "Five gallon pail filled with old telephone books, magazines etc"

I've never tried to fire a round or heard but, could a round penetrate 13"-15" of stacked paper like this??

Had to be Cobb!. Still waiting for my 5 gal from him :P

And yes ........I believe it would penetrate.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:50 pm 

oscar wrote:

Roger at Burnsville Pistol Range told me that 4 phone books duct taped together will stop most handgun bullets.

I've never tried it though.

http://mrra.org
6 down, 24 to go.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:55 pm 
Longtime Regular

You can get them cheap at donut shops sometimes.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.