Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:09 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 St. Paul Cop accidentally shoots himself 
 Post subject: St. Paul Cop accidentally shoots himself
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:14 am 

Quote:
Cop accidentally shoots himself

A St. Paul police officer accidentally shot himself in the leg at the department's gun range Wednesday. His injuries weren't serious, police said.

The circumstances of how the gun went off were unclear. Officer Armando Abla-Reyes was at the outdoor firing range in Maplewood to take a qualifying test to carry a weapon off-duty.

Abla-Reyes required medical attention, but was not admitted to the hospital, St. Paul police Sgt. Janet Dunnom said. An internal affairs investigation is slated, which is routine in such cases, she said.

Abla-Reyes, who joined the department in 1995, was attacked while off duty in June 2005. A man was convicted last month in the assault. Another suspect is to stand trial later this month.

At the time, Abla-Reyes was in his St. Paul home when he heard a noise and saw a man carrying an object from his home. Abla-Reyes, who was unarmed, chased the man for about two blocks.

When he stopped to call 911, the man attacked him. Abla-Reyes told the man he was a police officer, but the assault continued. He briefly was in a coma.

— Mara H. Gottfried

Pioneer Press

http://mrra.org
6 down, 24 to go.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: St. Paul Cop accidentally shoots himself
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:36 am 
Longtime Regular

Quote:
Abla-Reyes, who joined the department in 1995, was attacked while off duty in June 2005. A man was convicted last month in the assault. Another suspect is to stand trial later this month.

It's a shame that it took an incident like this for him to see the value in carrying while off-duty.

It's also a shame that in the process of qualifying for permission to carry while off duty he shot himself.

Officer Abla-Reyes, we are ashamed. :oops:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:29 pm 
Longtime Regular

I hope everyone in Saint Paul feels secure. I certainly hope this wakes him up a little.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:35 pm 
Longtime Regular

Are these cops who shoot themselves overconfident, careless or both?

I can't imagine ever shooting myself or anyone else accidentally unless the gun malfunctioned.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:58 pm 

It really makes you wonder - doesn't it?

rtk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:49 pm 
Longtime Regular

bet it was a Glock.........

"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." [...a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand.] -- (Lucius Annaeus) Seneca "the Younger" (ca. 4 BC-65 AD),

The Nanny State MUST DIE!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:08 pm 
Longtime Regular

macphisto wrote:
Are these cops who shoot themselves overconfident, careless or both?

Honestly, I believe it's both. I don't know about you all, but most of the cops that I've met aren't really interested in their gun. (Though it seems to me you shouldn't have to be) The gun is just another tool they have to become proficient enough with to pass an accuracy test with every once in a while. Other than that, they couldn't care less about it. Perhaps they become over-confident at having had no mistakes with it, and like a construction worker mis-handling a nail gun and nailing his hand to a board (suprisingly common) out of shear repitition and cutting corners, the gun gets mishandled and goes bang when it shouldn't.

I use the construction worker reference because my close friend was a construction worker for 5 years. Every couple weeks he was describing what body part he or someone else stuck a nail in by accident and how badly that day. The worst I heard of from him was the nail through his wrist. From his co-workers, I think it was the nail through the knee.

Just my thought on it. I'm not defending poor or careless gun-handling by any means. Just offering my take.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:52 pm 
Longtime Regular

Um. Ya. So was the test he was taking more or less difficult then the one to carry while on duty?

Does this hurt his chance of being able to get a permit? Does this mean that he is going to get more firearms safety training?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:03 pm 
Longtime Regular

Well if the St. Paul Police department is anything like the Army I remember, he will be promoted and put incharge of range safety. :wink:

Post subject: Re: St. Paul Cop accidentally shoots himself
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:15 am 

Rip Van Winkle wrote:
Quote:
When he stopped to call 911, the man attacked him. Abla-Reyes told the man he was a police officer, but the assault continued. He briefly was in a coma.

Why did he tell the perp he was a police officer. Did he think that it would give him diplomatic immunity or something?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:47 am 
Longtime Regular

Yeah, being unarmed, chasing a criminal, and shouting out that you're a cop isn't exactly a stroke of genius, is it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:51 am 

BigRobT wrote:

Should I worry about mine shooting me? [creepy music]OOOOOHHHHHH [/creepy music]

:P

On a serious note, I'll bet it was either a finger or a retention strap on a holster.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 4:15 pm 
Longtime Regular

goalie wrote:
BigRobT wrote:

Should I worry about mine shooting me? [creepy music]OOOOOHHHHHH [/creepy music]
On a serious note, I'll bet it was either a finger or a retention strap on a holster.

Some of you won't like this. I understand that Glock's are high quality pistols that don't go off automagicaly, and not everyone that has one shoots themselvs accidently. But I won't touch one as a carry or match gun.

I shoot an XD, which has a grip saftey. How does that help? When I reholster I take my thumb off the side of the grip and place it on the back of the slide. This does two things: makes it physically uncomfortable for my finger to be near the trigger, and it releases the grip saftey. Even if i pulled the trigger or hung the trigger up on something, the gun won't go off. No Bang, no shot leg.

Even if it does go bang, it isn't going to cycle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 4:39 pm 
Longtime Regular

Goalie, I said that tongue in cheek. It just seems as if there are more negligent discharges with Glocks than anything else. Some people just can't "keep their booger hooks off the bang switch" as Chunk likes to say

"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." [...a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand.] -- (Lucius Annaeus) Seneca "the Younger" (ca. 4 BC-65 AD),

The Nanny State MUST DIE!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:42 pm 

well they shoud just "nip it in the bud" and tell Barny to keep his bullet in his shirt pocket

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.