Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:45 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Please remove your boresighters... 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:14 pm 
Longtime Regular

mo_the_mouse wrote:
I call shenanigans!

That is too perfect of a split.

In the Mythbusters vein, they welded the barrel shut and couldn't get it to split like this.

Well then I am off to get my Broom! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:34 pm 
Longtime Regular

Saw a 110 Howitzer barrel once that looked like that... Not sure if that was the same year they tried to blow up the bowling alley or not....

Silly artilery guys!

:-)
Mostly-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:44 pm 
Forum Moderator/<br>AV Geek

Is it possible that the barrel was designed to split like this? To reduce possible injury if the barrel were plugged?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:10 pm 

As far as using buy back or confiscated weapons the LEO's get very touchy about those. They destroy them where I work and they watch them till they go into the arc furnace and watch them melt and we turn them into rebar. It kind of hurts to watch.

I wonder if you took the boresighter and tried to get it warranted what they would say. =)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:24 pm 
Longtime Regular

There was another picture of a spectacular barrel failure floating around - there it split all the way to the receiver, without curling.

Blowing up a Mosin will do nothing to prove or disprove this. A Mosin barrel will be made of different steel that may be more or less brittle, plus I think the rifling method would make a difference.

On the other hand (if you have one left after this), a Mosin may not even blow up. A gentleman on another board mixed up his dippers while loading and, near as he can tell, triple-charged the round. The rifle held, but the bolt head had to be replaced. Try that in a pansy American rifle... :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:02 pm 
Forum Moderator

I've seen several spits like this, they are not rare!

A friend had a pawn shop years ago and took pity on the occasional sad story and bought some junk rifles and shotguns. He'd take them to the range and plug them up in interesting ways. Pretty cool kabooms!

Teton Traders in Pierre, SD has a small collection of Kabooms that they got from customers.

There are quite a few pictures on the web like this too.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.