Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:04 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Negligent Discharge and consequences (a gutsy story) 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:05 pm 
Longtime Regular

Man, that hurts, just reading about it. :(

I'm going to make sure that I concentrate on safety. It's easy to get complacent. :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:33 pm 
Longtime Regular

Pinnacle wrote:
Yet another reason to NOT use snap caps. Too easy to confuse with live rounds.

Booger hook/bang switch again.

I feel for the guy, but something really bugs me. When stripping the XD-45, the slide stop is engaged and the slide disassembly lever is rotated to the 12 o'clock position. The slide is then slowly released forward. The pistol is then DRY FIRED to unlock the slide from the frame. Snap caps are NOT needed and there is no mention of using them in the owners manual.

As I said earlier, I feel for the guy, but this could have been avoided if the manual had been read.

Post subject: Ironic...
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:46 pm 
Journeyman Member

A Brit in MN wrote:
As I said earlier, I feel for the guy, but this could have been avoided if the manual had been read.

If you go back and read the original post, you'll find that he was intending to dry-fire practice, not disassemble the gun.

:wink: This rather ironic moment could have been avoided if the post had been read...

This story certainly reinforces the rule of no live ammo in the same room with you while dry-firing.

I want to thank the guy for sharing his story - reading it reaffirms all those precautions we know we should take and but are tempted to bypass in the moment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:51 pm 

plblark wrote:
I'm wondering if it was using the front serrations to sling shot the slide that could be the culprit. I didn't ask him.

I don't think it was anything that "deep." I think I was just inattentive and had my hand out in front, covering the muzzle, maybe 2-3 inches out.

In short, I just wasn't paying attention - and that's all it takes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:04 pm 
Longtime Regular

Welcome to the forum.

Thank you for sharing your story

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:15 pm 
Longtime Regular

new_iconoclast wrote:
plblark wrote:
I'm wondering if it was using the front serrations to sling shot the slide that could be the culprit. I didn't ask him.

I don't think it was anything that "deep." I think I was just inattentive and had my hand out in front, covering the muzzle, maybe 2-3 inches out.

In short, I just wasn't paying attention - and that's all it takes.

Well,....you sure got me reinforcing my safety habits. :oops:

And welcome :!: :!:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:19 pm 
Longtime Regular

I've got an XD and the thought of it discharging while chambering a round is disturbing as I live on the second floor of a three-story apartment building.

Chances of that are extremely slim, right? Hopefully, along the lines of being struck by lightning or winning the Powerball.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:22 pm 

macphisto wrote:
the thought of it discharging while chambering a round is disturbing as I live on the second floor of a three-story apartment building.

Chances of that are extremely slim, right? Hopefully, along the lines of being struck by lightning or winning the Powerball.

I don't remember exactly what happened, but I'd bet that if there had been a camera on me, it would show me grabbing the wrong round (live instead of snap cap), chambering it, and pulling the trigger while holding the gun at port across my chest with my left hand in front of the muzzle. In short, I was not paying attention.

I do not think that this was a mechanical failure of the XD. I think it was a failure on the part of the gunowner.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:26 pm 

grayskys wrote:
White Horseradish wrote:
Now, I don't mean to rag on this guy, he certainly learned his lesson and I do think he deserves the credit for talking about it.

However, I am somewhat unclear what part of dry-fire practice involves aiming at the middle of one's left hand.

It is on page 24 of the "Inspector Clueso Rules of Gun Safety".

Yup. Right after the part that says, "Scatter both live and dummy ammo on your desk before loading for dry-fire practice."

I have used my last snap-cap for dry-fire. As someone said on another forum, I'd rather replace a hundred firing pins than shoot myself or someone else. :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:25 pm 
Longtime Regular

Welcome aboard. Most people don't do something quite so drastic just to get an invite though ...

I'm glad your hand is healing as expected and hope things go well.

May we all learn something from this painful experience and the frank manner in which it was related.

Last edited by plblark on Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:42 pm 
Longtime Regular

Welcome to the forum. We are pulling for a speedy recovery of your hand.
I'm in favor of snap caps and will continue to be.
Also a huge fan of the xd line of handguns

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:11 am 

new-iconoclast, welcome to the forum. Thanks for sharing your experience, I will definitely take it as a reminder to keep my brain and attention fully engaged, while handling firearms.

TK

-Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334 (C.J.Boyd, Ed., 1950)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.