Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:17 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Gun Solvents and Health Issues 
 Post subject: Gun Solvents and Health Issues
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 1:23 pm 
Longtime Regular

I was reading somewhere (highroad.org ?) about gun solvents as a carcinogen, particularly Gun Scubber.

I clean one gun about every other week throughout the year. Every time I clean, I use Hoppe's #9 in the barrel and on non-plated metal parts. I do not wear gloves or vent the room. Hoppes touches my skin many times during the course of each cleaning.

Question: Am I putting myself at some sort of health risk? Should I switch away from solvents?

Thanks in advance ...

Post subject: Re: Gun Solvents and Health Issues
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 2:16 pm 
on probation

lance22 wrote:
I was reading somewhere (highroad.org ?) about gun solvents as a carcinogen, particularly Gun Scubber.

I clean one gun about every other week throughout the year. Every time I clean, I use Hoppe's #9 in the barrel and on non-plated metal parts. I do not wear gloves or vent the room. Hoppes touches my skin many times during the course of each cleaning.

Question: Am I putting myself at some sort of health risk? Should I switch away from solvents?

Thanks in advance ...
Anything you do now a days is Bad. I been using H#9 for 35 years now and look at ME :? Ok not a good example :shock: You should make sure it well vent and it help to wear gloves

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:24 pm 
Longtime Regular

It's all about being reasonable. What hasn't been linked to cancer?

I cast my own bullets from wheelweights. I do this in my garage with the doors open for extra ventillation. Been doing this for years.
I also shoot a lot at an indoor range- they boast about their venting, rightly so as it turns out.

So a couple years ago I had a physical and asked the doctor to do a lead test on me. He was reluctant until I told him why I wanted the test. Don't know why he was reluctant, maybe he thought insurance wouldn't cover the cost or something. It did, but I'd have paid the $100 myself.

Anyhoo, my lead level was well within the acceptable limits- almost nothing. So what ever I am doing is fine- which is just keeping fresh air while casting, washing my hands, basic common sense stuff.
While lead poisioning isn't cancer, it's the same concept.

I've also been using Hoppes #9 for some time (love that smell!) and so far so good. Again- just common sense.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:26 am 
Longtime Regular

I use rubber cleaning gloves near an open window when cleaning. When I was stationed at Ft. Campbell pregnant "soldiers" were not permitted to clean or handle weapons.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 5:21 pm 
Activist Extraordinaire

Lately I've been using the Hoppe's Elite line of bore solvent and bore gel, along with their oil. The solvent and gel are non-toxic, and have no odor, so much easier to work with. Does a pretty good job as well, I let the gel soak for 5 minutes, and it really takes the fouling away.

"Some Things Are Worth Fighting For"
Judas Priest

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.