Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:38 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ] 
 New here, CCW soon 
 Post subject: New here, CCW soon
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:00 am 

Well, I didn't see an Intro or Off Topics section, so I guess I'll start here!

I am a 23-year-old enlisted Infantryman with the Army National Guard (WI due to schooling). I went to OSUT (those who need to know, know) at Fort Benning and finished Aug '04. I haven't deployed thanks to school (finish degree first).

As for CCW and MN, I will be applying next week for my CCW permit. I have already purchased a H&K USP in 9mm. Yeah, I know, big gun to carry, which leads to one of my first questions, best carry method for something this big? I have a 5.11 vest and will soon be getting a jacket for concealment/carry. I'm not sure if I'm a fan of IWB carry, how well have shoulder holsters worked out?

I'm just south of the 35W/35E split south of the cities, so anyone close to me, esp over the next two weeks, who wants to go shooting, let me know! I need practice on my new baby!

So yeah, hopefully I can just poke around and learn as much as possible!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:27 am 
Longtime Regular

Welcome,

I don'rt know about shoulder holsters I use an OWB for my 1911 but that is just me.

Enjoy the forum you will get a lot of help if you as for it.

"For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
-Unknown

Honorably Discharged member of Uncle Sam's Underwater Canoe Club.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:58 am 
Longtime Regular

welcome. Pretty booked for the next couple monthes myself.:? ..Maybe in the spring....8)

check out www.rmholsters.com

I have used the extreme canted paddle and that will be my next holster. If your specific pistol isn't listed, don't worry about it. Jeff will work something out with you. :wink:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:05 am 
Longtime Regular

Actually, I love IWB. I wouldn't knock it until you've tried it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:01 pm 
Designated waste of protoplasm

Firing hand side OWB for a gun like that would be the best option witha good cover garment - 511 vest works well - get a good snug paddle holster - option is certainly yours.

Shoulder holsters are a PITA sometimes - but in the winter with all of the layers that you need to wear - could be a good option if you dont mind it too awful much. I often carry that way in the winter only - I basically despise shoulder holsters - but to each his own.

IWB in my experience is a good option if it does not bother you too much - that is a thick - and bulky gun - certainly you can make it work - you would have to try it.

Remember a mag pouch also - there are just some problems that cannot be solved without an additional Mag.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:30 pm 
Longtime Regular

I found IWB very workable when I carried a full-size 1911, though I did feel like the butt was starting to bruise my kidney after too long in the car. An open shirt over a T-shirt in the summer concealed it just fine. I've never tried a shoulder holster. One reason I didn't consider one is that they're not legal for IDPA competition, which is absolutely the most fun way to practice actually drawing and firing a pistol.

(I have since been seduced by Joel and others into the cult of the snubby revolver. Maybe you will be too. It's so much more convenient.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:38 pm 
Longtime Regular

Welcome EricMN! :D

Add me to the list of people who use IWB carry.

It took me a while to get it down to a science. But I wanted to be as stealthy as possible. 8)

There a few tricks that you need to use to make that kind of carry comfortable. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:43 pm 

JDR wrote:
There a few tricks that you need to use to make that kind of carry comfortable. :wink:

Are you going to share them with us, or keep us in suspense?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:55 pm 
The Man

Pat Cannon wrote:
I found IWB very workable when I carried a full-size 1911, though I did feel like the butt was starting to bruise my kidney after too long in the car. An open shirt over a T-shirt in the summer concealed it just fine. I've never tried a shoulder holster. One reason I didn't consider one is that they're not legal for IDPA competition, which is absolutely the most fun way to practice actually drawing and firing a pistol.

(I have since been seduced by Joel and others into the cult of the snubby revolver. Maybe you will be too. It's so much more convenient.)
The Force is strong with this one . . . but the Revolver Side is stronger . . .

Darth

More seriously, I think that the Bobtail modification might make a 1911 a lot easier to carry with an IWB. When I've got a couple hundred extra bucks lying around (hah!) my Kimber Pro Carry might well get that treatment.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:17 pm 
Longtime Regular

ChillyW wrote:
JDR wrote:

Are you going to share them with us, or keep us in suspense?

Well I already mentioned them on several threads in the last few days, but they are:

Wear pants one size larger than you usually do.

Get a (good) belt that is two inches longer then you normally wear.

Have a IWB holster that has a leather protrusion that protects your skin from the portion of the gun that is exposed above the holster.

I've been doing this for about three years and it works very well for me.

But then again, "to each his own" :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:14 pm 
Longtime Regular

Welcome to the forum Eric. For large guns, OWB works best for me with a good belt.

IWB with the right holster can work. I like www.highnoonholsters.com for IWBs... they have @12+ IWBs to choose from. My favorite IWBs are Bare Assets and Mr Softy. My favorit OWB is a HNH Topless model. :D

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:07 pm 

JDR wrote:
Well I already mentioned them on several threads in the last few days, but they are:

Thanks for sharing them all in one place!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:25 pm 

Greetings Eric

I'm a fan of the shoulder holster almost exclusively in the winter under a coat. Check out http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterG1.asp they have your weapon listed and you will find some choices for you. I have several Galco holsters and have found them of good quality and comfortable. They also solve the problem of spare mags. Hope this helps and welcome to the forum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:22 pm 
Longtime Regular

Srigs wrote:
Welcome to the forum Eric. For large guns, OWB works best for me with a good belt.

IWB with the right holster can work. I like www.highnoonholsters.com for IWBs... they have @12+ IWBs to choose from. My favorite IWBs are Bare Assets and Mr Softy. My favorit OWB is a HNH Topless model. :D

I have the Highnoon "Hideaway", but it collapses, so one hand holstering is near impossible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:11 pm 

Thanks for the Welcome everyone! and thanks for the holster advice, I'm a few days away from picking it up, so I'll experiement with what I can do at home prior to carrying.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.