Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:24 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Man Shoots Self at MN Gun Show 
 Post subject: Man Shoots Self at MN Gun Show
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:14 pm 
Longtime Regular

Full Article:
http://wcco.com/topstories/local_story_325110950.html

Shot through hand. Would be interesting to see how many minor injuries were suffered through "working on cars" VS "handling guns".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:22 pm 
Longtime Regular

Sounds less like an accident and more like "Negligent Handslaughter" :roll:

If life was fair, Robins couldn't eat worms...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:37 pm 
Longtime Regular

Ramoel--go to your room!!!! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 3:06 pm 
Longtime Regular

I'm envisioning two possibilities.

1: He hung his belt/holster from the hook, the gun fell out of the holster and discharged when it landed.

That I'd not call negligence - I'd call it an accident (though it might indicate a poor choice of handgun and holster. A carry piece should not discharge when dropped, a carry holster should retain the weapon when turned upside down.

2: He hung the gun by its trigger guard.

That I'd also not call negligence - I'd call it reckless endangerment.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 3:42 pm 

:D

Last edited by BB Guns on Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:02 pm 
Longtime Regular

This is bad. I've always felt that we are about two shootings by permit holders away from losing the ballgame and going back to the old way. This doesn't classify as a permit holder shooting, but it's close.

After all the antis are all for protecting us from ourselves.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:17 am 
The Man

Apparently, according to a reliable source who quotes a source he thinks is reliable, "he hung it [apparently a Glock. JR], in its holster, on the coat hook in the stall, by the trigger guard. When retrieving the firearm, he tripped the safe action on the curvature in the hook, setting the firearm off 4 times in rapid succession, while he hung on to the holster. His hand was shot twice, and a finger was reattached successfully, but without a knuckle. His index finger lost its tip."

Some obvious lessons here:

1. That stuff about how a holster should cover the trigger guard? It seems to make sense.

2. Don't do incredibly moronic things, like hang a gun on a coat hook by the trigger guard.

And a non-obvious thing:

The stuff they say about the Glock having a fast and easy trigger reset? It appears to be the case.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 7:30 am 
Longtime Regular

Part of me screams who the hell would design a holster for Glock that didn't cover the trigger?

But when I return to rationality, l realize that it's blindingly stupid to design a holster for any handgun that doesn't cover the trigger.

And then I recognize that it's quite likely he was using one of those cheap generic holsters that wasn't actually designed for any specific handgun.

They don't actually fit any particular model well, but that someone could be stupid enough to think that leaving the trigger exposed was "good enough" a fit flabbergasts me.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:23 am 
Forum Moderator/<br>AV Geek

I posted this holster a while back:

Slightly different because it's a revolver, but still made me go hmmm.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Cover the entire trigger guard
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:54 am 
Longtime Regular

Any holster that doesn't cover the entire trigger guard is unsafe. That photo just blows me away ... why would they leave the trigger guard open? So you can draw with your FINGER IN THE TRIGGER GUARD? :shock:

Well, the anti solution is simple: Make sure every handgun has a fifty pound trigger pull. That way, these people can wear holsters like that, or hang their loaded guns by the trigger guard, or draw a live gun with the finger in the trigger guard so they can show their "carry piece" to their friends, muzzle first of course ... and one by one they can pass it around, each one looking down the barrel, finger in the trigger guard with that "gee whiz" look on their faces "so this is a gun, huh?". Better make that an eighty pound trigger pull, now that I think of it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:01 am 

Holsters like that are made for TRIGGER LOCKS, EZ to put on and take off :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject: You Can't Be Serious
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:02 am 
Longtime Regular

You can't be serious. A trigger lock on a holstered gun? I must be stoopid because you can't possibly mean that somebody would carry a holstered gun with a locking device over the trigger guard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:23 am 

You don't carry your gun with a TRIGGER LOCK???? Thats the only way to carry in the bathroom :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:54 am 
Longtime Regular

So, that holster is actually made for people who put a locking device over their trigger guard while they carry?

No, I don't use a trigger lock while I carry. I believe the only safe way to carry a firearm is to fill the barrel with cement, weld he action shut, and then wrap it with metal cable and a dead-bolt master lock. I mail the key to Sarah Brady who can use better judgement than myself as to when it's safe enough to unwrap and use. :P

Seriously though ... I have a really hard time believeing anyone would carry a locked gun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:12 am 

I have tried to do what you did to your gun, but I can't weld :(

I don't think I have ever seen a holster like that.... Photo does not look like it's an old holster? Maybe someone will tell us about it?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.