Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:58 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 Minnesota Guard member indicted 
 Post subject: Minnesota Guard member indicted
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:33 am 
Forum Moderator/<br>AV Geek

http://kstp.com/article/stories/S12463.html?cat=1
Quote:
MADISON, Wis. (AP) - A federal court indictment handed up in Madison accuses a Minnesota Army National Guard soldier of illegally shipping two AK-47 machine guns home from Iraq.

The indictment says Victor Melnichuk, 21, from Morris, Minnesota, packed the weapons with other gear last January as his unit was getting ready to return to the United States after a one-year deployment.

The unit had built and guarded prisons in Iraq.

The guns were found at Fort McCoy near Sparta in western Wisconsin.

Melnichuk served as a combat engineer with Company A of the 682nd Engineering Battalion of the Minnesota Guard, based in Litchfield, Minnesota.

He was arrested in Minneapolis and released pending a court appearance Dec. 14.

I think any of our soldiers should be able to bring back just about anything they want from a deployment. I wouldn't allow stolen stuff (high dollar/priceless) like artwork, and possibly drugs. I'm guessing the reason he got indicted is because the AK's are full auto. If I did that, I would bury it in a safe place for when the SHTF.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:19 am 
Journeyman Member

That reminds me of an episode on "Mash" where Radar shipped a Jeep to his home...piece by piece.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:16 pm 
Longtime Regular

Must not be much to report, this happens with every rotation.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:53 pm 
Longtime Regular

Bringing home war spoils violates military law as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:05 pm 
Delicate Flower

Not unusual at all. Went through customs in Hawaii in 71 coming back from overseas deployment and saw a few guys being walked to security areas because of "questionable items" Must have been a few "Radar" types now that I think of it cause I saw a few pieces of ships gear.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:15 pm 
Longtime Regular

That same year, 1971, Boats and I were going through the Lucky Bag at our base in Karamursel, Turkey, and we found a brass ship's chronometer. I knew I would be leaving soon and really wanted it. In the end, I decided not to take it. When I got to Kennedy, my carry-on was given a cursory run-through, about three inches down. I could have easily brought it home.

Even now, 34 years later, I occasionally kick myself for that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:36 pm 
Delicate Flower

We had an extremely thorough going over. Think it was because of drugs......... They probed right through the bars of soap in the shave kits with a metal skewer....probed talc powder through the top openings....everything with a fine tooth comb etc. Nothing got past them.

Ship's chronometers must have been popular.....saw one of those that didn't make it.

I had a couple of things I forgot to take off the ship before we left San Diego.......glad I didn't try to bring em back......might be still in the brig.

Almost landed there anyway cause of the going away party on the "dry" :wink: US Navy ship......that's another story...........

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:15 pm 
Longtime Regular

Oh Man !!! Tell me it ain't so !!! Liquor on a US Naval Vessel????? ;) Being an Airdale, we never lacked for certain "necessities", especially after a shore base period !!

:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:57 am 

I've got a brother who was almost deployed a while back and is currently in Kuwait, as far as we know. :wink: We discussed this type of stuff a bit. I won't say how he figured out to get it done but even if discovered they likely couldn't have prosecuted anyone.

Steelheart

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:43 am 
Longtime Regular

Being military subjects one to rules/ laws outside of the norm. Regardless, should the military WISH to prosecute, they will. There's ALWAYS art 134 (general article) and Art 92(failure to obey an order or regulation). I have seen many people prosecuted under those. We were instructed not to bring anything back from Kuwait when we were there. Some trivial stuff was brought back, nobody cared. Guns bring on an entirely different attitude from the Chain of Command.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.