Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:44 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Shell casing question.. probably stupid. 
 Post subject: Shell casing question.. probably stupid.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:16 pm 
Longtime Regular

Last weekend when I was at the range, I switched from .38s to .357 magnums. After my first 6 shots, I ejected the shells from the revolver wheel, and started to reload. One chamber wouldn't accept a round all the way. I figured it was just fouled, and kept reloading on the five remaining for the rest of the day.

When I went to clean it today, I found a casing "sleeve" in the chamber about half the length of a normal empty case. What would cause a round to break a casing this way? Is it something fairly common that I haven't run into before? Was it potentially dangerous?

I'm not surprised that I didn't notice the ejected casing being deformed/shorter, as I was ejecting directly into a nearby trash can.

Thoughts?

"Build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a night. Set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life." ~ unknown

Never been tazered. (yet).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:21 am 
Longtime Regular

What kind of ammo was it? You had some weak brass, could be bad tolerance control from the manufacturer. Did you notice a difference in the feel when you fired? If not, then overcharging is probably not the culprit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:14 am 
Longtime Regular

Probably just weak brass or some other fluke. Anything like this is potentially dangerous, but this sleeve kept you from putting a round in that slot. Was this ammo reloaded or new?
What brand?

I've reloaded thousands of rounds for my .38/.357. both loads, and have never had anything like this happen, and I re-use my brass until it splits.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:25 pm 
Longtime Regular

[quote="Brewman"]Probably just weak brass or some other fluke. Anything like this is potentially dangerous, but this sleeve kept you from putting a round in that slot. Was this ammo reloaded or new?
What brand?/quote]

It was not a reload, it was one of those eeeevil Black Talons. I showed the sleeve to Mark today, and he said he had seen a similar thing happen with a 9mm round once.

Leave it to me to have something odd happen...

"Build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a night. Set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life." ~ unknown

Never been tazered. (yet).

Post subject: Re: Shell casing question.. probably stupid.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:15 pm 
Longtime Regular

Aquaholic wrote:
When I went to clean it today, I found a casing "sleeve" in the chamber about half the length of a normal empty case. What would cause a round to break a casing this way? Is it something fairly common that I haven't run into before? Was it potentially dangerous?

This happened to me once with .45ACP round in my 1911. The guy at Bill's who managed to dig it out of the chamber said he hadn't seen it before.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.