Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:00 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Ezra demonstrates how not to make friends 
 Post subject: Ezra demonstrates how not to make friends
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 3:15 am 
On permanent time out

Well today was the day I went to go pick up my HK USP 45 ACP and while at the gun shop, the guy told me I needed a Permit to carry or permit to purchase a pistol. I did not have one and have waited already 8 days for the gun to arrive at my FFL dealer. Now I need to wait 7-10 days to get my permit in the mail. Why cant I purchese a shotgun or rifle right away but not a pistol? It sounds pretty stupid to me that I can buy a shotgun right away which is more deadly then a pistol but a pistol I need a permit to purchase? Someone want to explain this law to me?

:evil: Bad guys dont have to wait for their guns but I do?

[/img]

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Permit to purchase pistol
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 5:14 am 
Forum Moderator

EZDYNAMICS wrote:
Well today was the day I went to go pick up my HK USP 45 ACP and while at the gun shop, the guy told me I needed a Permit to carry or permit to purchase a pistol. I did not have one and have waited already 8 days for the gun to arrive at my FFL dealer. Now I need to wait 7-10 days to get my permit in the mail. Why cant I purchese a shotgun or rifle right away but not a pistol? It sounds pretty stupid to me that I can buy a shotgun right away which is more deadly then a pistol but a pistol I need a permit to purchase? Someone want to explain this law to me?

[/img]
There are probably a myriad of reasons that could be articulated as to "why" that law was passed in the first case, but I'll just simply note that yes, such is life in Minnesota. The good news is that it is free, and speedily issued. The bad news is that it lasts just a year. If you take a Permit Class and apply, that Permit is a substitute for the purchase permit and the plus is that it is good for five years.

Your selling dealer really should have checked your status first. That would have avoided this frustration.

Contact us to schedule a class for you and your friends, and check our website for more information http://shootingsafely.com

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 5:15 am 
Longtime Regular

You don't need one but you would have to wait the normal waiting time without a permit to purchase or permit to carry.

It does make it easier because not waiting to pickup the gun is the benefit. I would call them back and have them put in the paper work and start the clock because it will be less time then it will take to get the permit to purchase. I would get one but not necessary for this transaction.

Why can you walk home with a rifle or shotgun but not a handgun? Because on ninny politicians want a cooling off period for those evil handguns.

I hope this helps. :)

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 6:05 am 
1911 tainted

You guys forgot about the evil black rifle.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 8:27 am 
Longtime Regular

Because some of the "sportsman's" segment of gun owners who own long guns were persuaded psitol laws would not affect THEM, and voted with the people who really want to ban weapons completely.

Certainly not because the people who sponsered the waiting period for pistols thought it was "reasonable" or "common sense" to EXCLUDE LONG GUNS. But lots of the "sportsmen" apparently were persuaded that a waiting periodo for PISTOLS was "reasonable" and met "common sense" tests.

But now, after reflection, the distinction really doesn't appear reasonable. If a bad guy who can pass NICS background checks doesn't want to wait he can simply buy more effective long gun right away, as opposed to waiting.

How to fix that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 9:36 am 
Longtime Regular

Happened to me when I was buying a pistol before I got my carry permit.
I totally forgot that my purchase permit had expired only a couple days earlier.
I just had the dealer hold the gun and got my purchase permit redone.

Yeah it sucks, but that's the law. Too bad your dealer didn't bring it up when you placed the order. You'd have the permit by now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 10:05 am 

Happened to me when I moved. I had just got my new drivers license and forgot my purchase permit (that I had used a couple weeks earlier) had the old address.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 10:13 am 

Quote:
Bad guys dont have to wait for their guns but I do?

You don't have to wait either if you're willing to get your guns where/how they get theirs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 11:41 am 
On time out

Too bad you do not live in mounds view, the lady behind the glass gets hers done the same day if you are in before noon and you can come back and pick it up.

Now with a carry permit, I do not need that but the last time she did it I sent pizzas over the next day to say thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 2:54 pm 
Longtime Regular

Does the city issue the permit to purchase? Or the state?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 2:55 pm 
The Man

JimC wrote:
Local PD, if there is one; local Sheriff, if there isn't one.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 2:57 pm 

JimC wrote:

It is a State permit that is issued by the city police department (or sheriff in rural areas i believe)

Post subject: Re: Permit to purchase pistol
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 3:08 pm 
On time out

EZDYNAMICS wrote:

[/img]

7-10 Days you hope. They have one person working on the permits to purchase in st paul and then the supervisor has to review it. It took 30 days for me to get mine in st paul and 28 to get my permit to carry. And there is a reason as to why it takes so long. They conduct the same kind of background check as the permit to carry so it takes a while for all the diffrent agencies to get back to them and then if you have lived in other states it depends on how fast they want to move.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 3:28 pm 
Longtime Regular

1911fan wrote:
Too bad you do not live in mounds view, the lady behind the glass gets hers done the same day if you are in before noon and you can come back and pick it up.

I recently moved back from Iowa, where I lived for two years. When I got my purchase permit in Mason City, I gave then the form and 5 minutes later I had a card in hand. After having had to wait 3-4 weeks when I [previously] lived in Woodbury, I was astonished that Mason City was able and willing to run the check so fast.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 3:47 pm 
On time out

Another friend said the person in the Fridley office did it while he waited. (Note please, these were both renewals, so I do not know about a first timer and the three day wait.)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.