Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:29 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Ezra demonstrates how not to make friends 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 3:47 pm 

I submitted my application for a permit to purchase to the City of St Louis Park on a Friday afternoon. The permit showed up the following Tuesday. It's just like permits to carry: it all depends on where you live.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 4:24 pm 
On permanent time out

Srigs wrote:
You don't need one but you would have to wait the normal waiting time without a permit to purchase or permit to carry.

It does make it easier because not waiting to pickup the gun is the benefit. I would call them back and have them put in the paper work and start the clock because it will be less time then it will take to get the permit to purchase. I would get one but not necessary for this transaction.

Why can you walk home with a rifle or shotgun but not a handgun? Because on ninny politicians want a cooling off period for those evil handguns.

I hope this helps. :)

Yeah I should have done that but the guy told me its best to go to your local PD and then I bought some bullets for the gun.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 7:47 pm 
Wise Elder

Every police department CAN do a background check and issue a permit in less than five minutes.

That they don't just shows that "protect and serve" is a mere propaganda slogan. It also shows the general disregard and disrespect with which police administrators hold the public (if the chief has a bad attitude, you can be sure his senior staff will adopt it).

Sheriff Bob Fletcher is not unique.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 9:29 pm 

Maple Grove PD took 19 days.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 3:38 pm 
On time out

Kimberman, a question, as I posted earlier in this thread, MV got mine done in an afternoon, but that was a re issue, where does the three day wait period come into play when considering a newly issued permit. Or does the background check by pass the three day wait?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 3:41 pm 
Longtime Regular

1911fan wrote:
Kimberman, a question, as I posted earlier in this thread, MV got mine done in an afternoon, but that was a re issue, where does the three day wait period come into play when considering a newly issued permit. Or does the background check by pass the three day wait?

I know I bought a .45 the day of issue of my permit to purchase so it is my GUESS that the permit to purchase replaces the wait period.

As usual IANAL

"For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
-Unknown

Honorably Discharged member of Uncle Sam's Underwater Canoe Club.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 5:19 pm 
Forum Moderator/<br>AV Geek

With a permit to carry or a permit to purchase, there is no further waiting periods.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 10:42 pm 

When I got my one and only permit to purchase in 2003 Minneapolis only took 7 days from filling out the form until I received it in the mail.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 1:17 am 
Longtime Regular

Pakrat wrote:
With a permit to carry or a permit to purchase, there is no further waiting periods.

Unless............problems with the NICS.........and the dealer gets "delay response" :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 1:48 pm 
On permanent time out

Well its monday and still no permit but here's my question if they dont give it to me, can i still get a carry conceal permit? Can someone explain how tuff they are on criminal backgrounds? In a nutshell here's what ive done

1.A girl called the cops on me when i was 19 saying i was trying to overdose on pills and the cops came and took me to the hospital i agreed and went and they checked me and let me go that night because i did not take anything.

2.The cops took me to this place that gives people couseling and i stayed at this house for a week but never took any meds or been diagnosed as depressed.

3. I was drunk and got in a fight with the neighbor but never hit him and was arrested for terroristic threats and they let me go the next morning because, lack of evidence and no charges filed against me.

4. open container

5. been to detox 3 times in my life

So number 2 and 3 im worried about anyone on here have some charges but still got your permit?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 1:53 pm 
Longtime Regular

You may well have a few issues getting any kind of a permit, you may be able to fight the denial but given the information you have presented you may have a problem.

"For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
-Unknown

Honorably Discharged member of Uncle Sam's Underwater Canoe Club.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 2:35 pm 

EZDYNAMICS wrote:
Well its monday and still no permit but here's my question if they dont give it to me, can i still get a carry conceal permit? Can someone explain how tuff they are on criminal backgrounds? In a nutshell here's what ive done

1.A girl called the cops on me when i was 19 saying i was trying to overdose on pills and the cops came and took me to the hospital i agreed and went and they checked me and let me go that night because i did not take anything.

2.The cops took me to this place that gives people couseling and i stayed at this house for a week but never took any meds or been diagnosed as depressed.

3. I was drunk and got in a fight with the neighbor but never hit him and was arrested for terroristic threats and they let me go the next morning because, lack of evidence and no charges filed against me.

4. open container

So number 2 and 3 im worried about anyone on here have some charges but still got your permit?

I don’t think they have to deny you a permit to carry but they certainly can deny you. Also you have come pretty close to losing your right to posses a firearm at all. Just make sure that if you do get the HK you make good decisions. Adding a firearm to any one of those items on your list could have had serious consequences.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 2:59 pm 
On permanent time out

So I have to be a goodie good my whole life before getting a permit? Ive never taken any drugs for depression and never committed a assult and never a felony so what gives? I live in a bad place and have to take the bus and trust me my knife wont do the job. Tell me you dont have to be a angel until you get a CCP because that to me would be very wrong. Ive gotten a lot of rotton deals in my life but this would top them all. :evil:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 3:11 pm 
Longtime Regular

4. open container

You sound like a stand up guy to me!!! I don't see any problems with your life. You would you be a poster boy for our group. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 3:43 pm 
The Man

EZDYNAMICS wrote:

4. open container

If you don't qualify for a purchase permit, you won't qualify for a carry permit.

As to the specifics, it doesn't sound like there's necessarily anything that would be a statutory disqualification -- although if there's more to #2, there might be -- but you're painting a picture of somebody who is, well, kind of a poster boy for being disqualified on the grounds of there being a substantial likelihood of being dangerous to self or others.

Perhaps you could explain away #1 on a "well, the girl was crazy" or something. Possibly you could talk yourself out of trouble on #2; I can imagine some unlikely facts that would make #3 not be as bad as it looks, and if #4 were the only issue, well, people make mistakes; but #5 -- at your young age -- sounds rather, well, problematic.

Put it all together, and I think you've got some chickens coming home to roost in this, more likely than not. Then again, what do I know? Still, all in all, I think you've got a chance that ranges from too thin to hydroplane on to none at all to get your permit without having to fight a denial, and probably little more even after that.

That said, it's not utterly impossible that a fuller picture would show you as a fellow who has done a few unfortunate things, but has gotten his act together; that said, I haven't seen any scintilla of a hint of a trace of a smidge of evidence to that effect here. Still, you could merely be somebody who comes across very badly when writing online, but isn't actually an obnoxiously clueless rutting loon with delusions of grandeur, despite appearances.

If you're going to pursue the possibility of getting a carry permit, you might want to think about consulting with an attorney in advance. When you take your training with Joe Penaz, I'm sure he'll be happy to recommend somebody to you.

(I am not going to make a recommendation, as of the two attorneys I generally recommend, one is a close personal friend, and the other hasn't ever done anything to offend me. I'd prefer that nobody else here do that, either -- I tend to get the blame for stuff that happens on the Forum, and I'd rather not have any EZDYNAMICS rubbing off on me.)

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.