Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:23 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 CCW Badges 
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 12:27 am 
Longtime Regular
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 10:24 am
Posts: 6767
Location: Twin Cities
Well, as a SmartCarry, um, carrier, it hasn't been something I've considered.

On the weekends when I really don't care who sees, I use an OWB holster (with a cover garment, but I'm not paranoid about printing or flashing). People seem to be either really blind or really indifferent to the gun.

I'm voting for blind.

Of course, I'm really, really white as well. I can't speak for anyone else with different life experiences.

Quote:
But so far, the *only* situation you've brought up that you think it might help in, is if :

A) The badge carrier is in a minority that will potentially be viewed as evil by a responding LEO.

B) The responding LEO badly needs some diversity training.


Honestly, I doubt if I could swing a cat in Minneapolis without hitting a cop that meets that description. The MPD's reputation is known nationwide, and it ain't a gentle one.

_________________
* NRA, UT, MADFI certified Minnesota Permit to Carry instructor, and one of 66,513 law-abiding permit holders. Read my blog.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 4:33 am 
Journeyman Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:46 pm
Posts: 92
Location: Lakeville, MN
Quote:
Honestly, I doubt if I could swing a cat in Minneapolis without hitting a cop that meets that description. The MPD's reputation is known nationwide, and it ain't a gentle one.

Point well taken.

_________________
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence" Carl Sagen


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: CCW Badges
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:41 am 
Member

Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:30 am
Posts: 17
Location: Minot, ND
Pakrat wrote:
johnalbert wrote:
The first time he open carried he was wearing a SWAT shirt and SWAT hat. These old ladies were talking "I wonder if he's in SWAT". They were looking for his badge and saw his gun "Yup, he's in SWAT".


So, wouldn't this be the same thing as carrying a CCW badge? I see a lot of guys with ATF hats, police shirts, stuff like that. And I don't know if they are, or not.
I'd be curious to see what everybody thinks about this scenario (which is taken from one of the CCW badge sites where they sell them): You're in a shootout with a bad guy and the cops pull up. Bad guy says "This guy's gonna kill me! Shoot him!" You say "I'm a CCW permit holder" and you hold up your badge which the cops can see from where they happen to be.
I'm not sure about this whole CCW badge thing. There are some good arguments on both sides. (Eeek! Did I just become a wishy-washy centrist? Nah! :D )
Wow! I just noticed this is a REAL old topic! Sorry. But who knows, maybe it'll get some more responses.

_________________
Taggart Snyder


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: CCW Badges
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:42 pm 
Longtime Regular
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:32 pm
Posts: 1803
Location: Woodbury
taggart wrote:
Pakrat wrote:
johnalbert wrote:
The first time he open carried he was wearing a SWAT shirt and SWAT hat. These old ladies were talking "I wonder if he's in SWAT". They were looking for his badge and saw his gun "Yup, he's in SWAT".


So, wouldn't this be the same thing as carrying a CCW badge? I see a lot of guys with ATF hats, police shirts, stuff like that. And I don't know if they are, or not.
I'd be curious to see what everybody thinks about this scenario (which is taken from one of the CCW badge sites where they sell them): You're in a shootout with a bad guy and the cops pull up. Bad guy says "This guy's gonna kill me! Shoot him!" You say "I'm a CCW permit holder" and you hold up your badge which the cops can see from where they happen to be.
I'm not sure about this whole CCW badge thing. There are some good arguments on both sides. (Eeek! Did I just become a wishy-washy centrist? Nah! :D )
Wow! I just noticed this is a REAL old topic! Sorry. But who knows, maybe it'll get some more responses.



What part of "LET ME SEE YOUR HANDS, LET ME SEE YOUR HANDS, DOWN ON THE GROUND DOWN ON THE GROUND.........NOW!!!
Lets you calmly hold up a badge, regardless of WHAT IT SAYS!! :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:08 pm 
Longtime Regular
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:48 am
Posts: 517
Location: Coon Rapids
Um...yeah. CCW Badge is just asking for trouble. Your permit will explain volumes to a police officer. He will look at it after you have followed all of his instructions and he has the situation in his control. Flashing a CCW badge is probably going to just tick him off.

My .02.

_________________
MADFI Certified Instructor
NRA Certified Instructor

That is all....


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:35 pm 
Senior Member

Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 2:12 pm
Posts: 289
I have a NYPD sweatshirt that I never wear while carrying. If something were to happen, I am certain it would be mentioned in court. If I accidently print and someone calls the cops, well cops aren't big fans of people they perceive to be wannabes.

Too much potential for grief.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:09 pm 
Longtime Regular

Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2005 2:54 am
Posts: 2444
Location: West Central MN
If you are questioned by security types for open carry a "badge" might slow them down. Flash your "badge" with your permit, tell them you are personally licensed to carry firearms and they should not interfere. (Be sure you do not tell them you work for the State.)

They might say "I'm sorry, go on about your business."

As long as you don't claim governmental authority, you would not be breaking the law, just treading at the edge. You're simply asking them to change their mind or change the rules for you.

I'm not recomending that course of action, simply speculating on a useful purpose for a carry badge. And they might accuse you of claiming to be a Police Officer. So......


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:43 pm 
Senior Member

Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2005 10:18 pm
Posts: 422
Location: Maple Grove
This whole badge-carry biz sounds an awful lot like auto-Darwinism…


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:21 am 
Longtime Regular
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:39 pm
Posts: 1132
Location: Prior Lake, MN
If there is a practical use for one of those badges, I sure can't think of one. I can see their appeal to the cop wannabe types, but that in itself is a pretty scary situation.

_________________
Brewman


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:18 am 
Senior Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:52 pm
Posts: 407
Location: Northern Burbs
Brewman wrote:
If there is a practical use for one of those badges, I sure can't think of one.


When I inspected one at the last gun show at which they were sold, the first thing that popped into my mind in light of the weight and shape as I held it in my hand was a personal query of how many skips I might be able to accomplish with the thing across a calm pond.

_________________
Mark


Offline
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:24 am 
Longtime Regular
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2005 5:40 am
Posts: 3752
Location: East Suburbs
onebohemian wrote:
Brewman wrote:
If there is a practical use for one of those badges, I sure can't think of one.


When I inspected one at the last gun show at which they were sold, the first thing that popped into my mind in light of the weight and shape as I held it in my hand was a personal query of how many skips I might be able to accomplish with the thing across a calm pond.


I love skipping badges! :D :D :D

_________________
Srigs

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:15 am 
Forum Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:37 pm
Posts: 1571
Location: Detroit Lakes, MN
I have a badge already. It is a laminated card issued by the Otter Tail County Sheriff that says "State of Minnesota Permit to Carry a Pistol".

In my opinion, (and it is not so humble): Any other badge is meaningless and has -0- (that is zero) use.

Of course, YMMV.

_________________
Paul Horvick
http://shootingsafely.com
---
Contact us to schedule a class for you and your friends, and check our website for more information http://shootingsafely.com


Offline
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:08 am 
Longtime Regular

Joined: Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:00 pm
Posts: 1064
Location: Minneapolis, MN
I would be embarrassed to wear one. :oops:
I would rather wear a t-shirt that said, “SECRET AGENT”. :D


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:41 am 
Longtime Regular
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:41 am
Posts: 4468
tepin wrote:
I would be embarrassed to wear one. :oops:
I would rather wear a t-shirt that said, “SECRET AGENT”. :D


I want one of the Witness Protection ones...

Front: [large Logo of WPP]
Back: Text: You Don't Know Me


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:06 am 
Longtime Regular
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2005 5:44 pm
Posts: 842
Location: Phillips Neighborhood Minneapolis
I should probably be in the Witless Protection Program. Someone has to look after the brain dead among us.

_________________
http://web.me.com/bdwilliams44/Site/Blank.html


Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours


 Who is online 

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron


 
Index  |  FAQ  |  Search

phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group