Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:07 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Stupid, embarrassing, but harmless, I guess 
 Post subject: Stupid, embarrassing, but harmless, I guess
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:28 am 
The Man

I left a gun behind yesterday.

Really.

Felicia and I spent Saturday night and Sunday morning at the Grand Hotel in Minneapolis, to celebrate her birthday, and we were down at valet parking when I realized that I'd left my handgun in the room.

No, not loose -- it was in the room safe. (The only safe place for a firearm is on your person or secured somewhere, after all.)

But I'm glad that I remembered it in time. It would have been a lot more embarrassing to have to discuss that with the hotel staff.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:34 am 

Whenever I check out of a hotel room I do a last sweep of the place one all the stuff is in the vehicle to check to see if I had left anything behind.

So, has the ribbing started yet about this? :D

Steelheart

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:38 am 
Longtime Regular

That would have given me a high pucker factor.

We could call Joel "Lieutenant"

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:46 am 

When I was a cop in Nebraska there was an incident where two detectives checked out a car from a dealership for a "stakeout." When they returned the car they left an Mp5 in the backseat. So it could be worse.

Quite a few years ago my N-Frame .357 fell out of my holster while I was seeing a movie. It slid onto the seat and I did not notice it until I got up. Fortunately I was able to quickly recover it without anyone noticing.

I worry all the time about leaving my carry gun somewhere, since it's so small and light I sometimes forget I am even carrying and have to check my pocket to make sure it's still there.

Around the house, if for any reason I leave the gun somewhere other than in the gun safe, I have to pay my wife a $50 fine. We agreed on this as a good way to ensure good habits, since my son is with us every other week.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:40 pm 
Longtime Regular

Do you suppose this means Robert Blake really did leave his gun at the restaurant? Apparently the jury believed him since they found him not guilty of the murder.

I'm forever checking my wallet since I lost one years ago at a carnival. So paranoid since then that I normally use a biker type wallet with a chain. I have a couple of guns with lanyard rings, maybe I better get a lanyard? I never lost a gun but this thread has me thinking...

If life was fair, Robins couldn't eat worms...

Last edited by Ramoel on Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:35 pm 
Longtime Regular

My problem is just the opposite. I usually forget that I have it on, then walk into the doctors or dentists office with it. Not that you can't but I like to keep a low profile with the people that can ease my pain. If you know what I mean.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:44 pm 
1911 tainted

gunflint wrote:
I usually forget that I have it on, then walk into the doctors or dentists office with it.

Something similar happened to me. I had left the house one morning, carrying my Kimber .45 in an IWB holster as usual, with a whole list errands and things to do . I was not feeling all that great that morning, and as the day progressed, I started to feel worse, or should I say, real poorly, mostly a sore throat. We have what is a walk in type medical facility for immediate treatment of minor ailments without having to go to the emergency entrance at the hospital. I went in, filled out the paperwork, answered their questions, and went to sit down. When I sat down, my Kimber made contact with the chair, which reminded me that I was carrying. There was no posting against carrying, but I started to think what if during the exam that I was told to remove my sweatshirt for some reason. Well, before I decided what I should do, they called my name and took me back to an examination room, the nurse did her thing, and so far, all is good. Now the doctor comes in, asks some questions, and I am a little nervous, and he is vaguely familiar. He does his exam, which does not include going near my Kimber, he sits down to make his notes. Now he comments about my name, then he remembers me, before I remember him, he had gone through one of my permit to carry class about a year and a half ago. After he mentions this, I now remember him also. Some may think that it would be strange that I would not have recognized him right from the get go, but with my job, and the work I do with the local organizations, it is sometimes hard to remember where I have met a person.

So, I would have to say, that in my case, if the Kimber would have been discovered by the examining doctor, it would not have been a totally embarrassing experience.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:56 pm 

A while back, I had lunch with a friend of mine (retired LE, FFL) and as we were chatting out in the parking lot, this terrified look came over his face. He had forgotten his briefcase (with a snubby in it) back in the booth. Everything turned out fine, but, lesson learned!

Don

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:08 pm 
Longtime Regular

I have been lucky so far "knocking on wood sound!".

I always put my guns in the same place very time so it is becoming a habbit and that helps people to remember. Good example: I left my wedding ring, watch, my lunch at home and when I left work today my laptop on my desk. My wife gave me so much crap... Oh well. My gun was in the proper spot though!!! :P

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:18 pm 
Longtime Regular

Not a gun, no. I did leave a loaded mag behind, though. I had been digging through stuff in my pocket to get out my credit card to pay for dinner at a restaurant, and left the mag on the table. They kept it in lost & found, and gave it back, no questions asked. Maybe they thought I was a cop, maybe they were just glad to be rid of it.

I did have my IWB come loose in a public john once, and it clattered to the tile rather loudly. Now I take the IWB off, and put it on top of the TP dispenser.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 4:45 am 
Longtime Regular

chunkstyle wrote:
I did have my IWB come loose in a public john once, and it clattered to the tile rather loudly. Now I take the IWB off, and put it on top of the TP dispenser.

As long as you don't hang your gun on the coathook!! :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:13 am 
Longtime Regular

Isn't it a felony to leave your gun accessable to minors? http://www.kstp.com/article/stories/S12908.html?cat=1

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 4:04 pm 
Longtime Regular

Quote:
officer's family members busted for meth

A veteran Robbinsdale police officer's wife and his two stepsons face methamphetamine charges, 5 EYEWITNESS NEWS has learned.

Neighbors tell 5 EYEWITNESS NEWS that cars were constantly stopping at a home in Andover as people ran into to buy the illegal stimulant.

"We smelled strange chemicals in the air on occasion, and there's been a lot of increased street activity," said Peter Millunzi, who lives next door to the now sealed-up home in Andover, where the city has taped a "do not occupy" sign to the front door.

Pamela Wredberg, 46, and her sons, Justin Schaden and Noel Virkus were arrested earlier this month after their vehicle was witnessed at the home where the two men allegedly purchased the drugs.

Court documents said Wredberg admitted that both of her sons used meth and, when pressed, said she too would probably test positive.

Noel told authorities that he often got high his mother, and that he smoked, snorted and ate the drug while his brother and mother usually snorted it, the documents said.

When the three were arrested, the documents said, police found the officer's gun belt in the car, complete with his loaded handgun in a duty holster along with an electric stun gun and her husband's police radio.

The veteran Robbinsdale Police Officer, who was not named in the report, was not believed to have been involved in any way with the alleged drug use.

Robbinsdale Police Chief Wayne Shellum described him as a good, steady reliable officer who'd been with the department since 1989. Shellum said an internal investigation found the officer had no knowledge of his wife's or stepsons' alleged drug use, and that while leaving his gun in the car might have been a lapse in judgment, it was not a violation of policy.

A lieutenant with the Anoka-Hennepin Drug Task Force said the case shows that meth is such a big problem that even a police officer's family isn't immune. The task force made about 100 meth arrests in 1999 and expects to make around 700 this year.

"I guess it's just more prevalent than any of us can imagine," neighbor Millunzi said.

Does anyone find this credible?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 4:10 pm 
The Man

Andrew Rothman wrote:
Quote:
officer's family members busted for meth

A veteran Robbinsdale police officer's wife and his two stepsons face methamphetamine charges, 5 EYEWITNESS NEWS has learned.

Neighbors tell 5 EYEWITNESS NEWS that cars were constantly stopping at a home in Andover as people ran into to buy the illegal stimulant.

"We smelled strange chemicals in the air on occasion, and there's been a lot of increased street activity," said Peter Millunzi, who lives next door to the now sealed-up home in Andover, where the city has taped a "do not occupy" sign to the front door.

Pamela Wredberg, 46, and her sons, Justin Schaden and Noel Virkus were arrested earlier this month after their vehicle was witnessed at the home where the two men allegedly purchased the drugs.

Court documents said Wredberg admitted that both of her sons used meth and, when pressed, said she too would probably test positive.

Noel told authorities that he often got high his mother, and that he smoked, snorted and ate the drug while his brother and mother usually snorted it, the documents said.

When the three were arrested, the documents said, police found the officer's gun belt in the car, complete with his loaded handgun in a duty holster along with an electric stun gun and her husband's police radio.

The veteran Robbinsdale Police Officer, who was not named in the report, was not believed to have been involved in any way with the alleged drug use.

Robbinsdale Police Chief Wayne Shellum described him as a good, steady reliable officer who'd been with the department since 1989. Shellum said an internal investigation found the officer had no knowledge of his wife's or stepsons' alleged drug use, and that while leaving his gun in the car might have been a lapse in judgment, it was not a violation of policy.

A lieutenant with the Anoka-Hennepin Drug Task Force said the case shows that meth is such a big problem that even a police officer's family isn't immune. The task force made about 100 meth arrests in 1999 and expects to make around 700 this year.

"I guess it's just more prevalent than any of us can imagine," neighbor Millunzi said.

Does anyone find this credible?

I'm not sure whether or not it's true, but I do find it entirely possible that it is true.

To take another example, would you believe that a 15-year-old boy from a supposedly good home could have molested his infant-through-toddler baby sister for several years, the parents -- the father a very well respected professional in his community -- knew about it and covered it up, and the eldest son not have had any idea that it was going on until more than a quarter-century later?

It sounds preposterous to me -- but the molester was my middle brother, the victim was my youngest sister, and I was the clueless older brother, who only found out about it, as I said, quite literally a quarter of a century later.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:16 am 
Longtime Regular

My doubt on this particular issue lies in the fact that Meth's effects are pretty obvious -- staying up for days, teeth falling out, etc.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.