Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:43 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Shooting 'pimp' style 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:48 am 

The problem with shooting "gangsta"-style is that the brass ejects straight up and falls back onto the pistol, nicking the finish.

DL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:02 pm 

There is a one-handed shooting technique where you cant the gun about 45 degrees with your thumb raised. I learned this from John Farnam. I find that when making snap shots one handed I tend to cant the gun naturally.

Note I said about 45 degrees, as opposed to the MTV-inspired 90 degrees.

Someone mentioned canting the M16, this was done with the old M17 gas mask because the cheek filters did not allow you to get a good cheek-stock weld. I believe that (but I am not sure) the new M40 gas masks do not make this necessary.

When I trained with the IDF they teach rotating the gun 90 degrees at eye level and then racking the slide prior to firing (they shoot from Condition 3). You then right the gun into a normal 2-handed grip prior to firing.

And lastly, when shooting from behind a ballistic sheild some SWAT schools teach canting the gun to better aim when looking thru the sheild's window. I've been taught both ways, both seem to work.

I would be interested in seeing how the "sideways" shooting concept was born. The first time I ever remember seeing it was in "Menace II Society" (1993?) which is a sort of role model movie for today's "gangstas."

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 7:54 am 
Forum Moderator

Erik_Pakieser wrote:
I would be interested in seeing how the "sideways" shooting concept was born. The first time I ever remember seeing it was in "Menace II Society" (1993?) which is a sort of role model movie for today's "gangstas."

I haven't seen the movie in over 13 years, but "Rush" (1991) features at least one segment of sideways pistol handling.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:58 am 

Which is even more confusing, because "Rush" takes place in the 1970s.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:05 am 
Forum Moderator

Erik_Pakieser wrote:
Which is even more confusing, because "Rush" takes place in the 1970s.

I'm going to have to watch this movie again to make sure I'm remembering this correctly. It could have been an accidental sideways grip; I seem to remember it coming in a scene where Jason Patric draws down on some guy from a concealed position; perhaps some kind cross draw where he doesn't rotate to the vertical.

Even stranger is that in the mid 70s there were a lot fewer semi auto choices.

Post subject: Re: Don't be too hasty
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:58 pm 
Longtime Regular

Airborne wrote:
I was taught "gansta" style in the military.

Of course its what you do if your right eye dominant and your right hand becomes unavailable. (aka a bloody stump) - take your service pistol in your left hand, rotate it 90 degrees clockwise and sight down the side bezel groove.

Try it, works remarkably well. Then file it under "how about that" and go back to shooting with your strong hand.

So, I took this advise, and did indeed try this. In fact, I spent the whole of Wednesday practicing off-hand shooting. Unfortunately, while shooting "gangster" style did get me a nice group, the group was considerably to the side of the bullseye! I realized then that the barrel of a pistol was inclined relative to the line of sight, to allow for the drop of gravity, and now the bullets felt the pull 90 degrees from this line. Mean while, the inclination was unchanged, and caused the impact point to depart from where I expected it. Had I had sights adjustable to the range I was shooting at, I'm sure some compensation could have been worked out. (Using windage for elevation and vice-versa.) I didn't, and went back to off-hand practice, in the normal way.

An interesting experiment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 2:41 pm 
Forum Moderator

Where did they group relative to bullseye?

12, 3, 6, or 9 o'clock?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:09 am 
Longtime Regular

3 o'clock. I am left-handed.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.