Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:13 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Guns and Anarchy - Gun confiscation post tornado 
 Post subject: Guns and Anarchy - Gun confiscation post tornado
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:08 am 
Longtime Regular

Katrina wasn't enough.............
NOTE: Some of the article isn't related...here is the gun stuff

http://www.lawrencian.com/index.php?option...8&Itemid=45

"Then I mentioned that the anarchists said that everyone’s guns had been confiscated in Greensburg.

“That’s true,” Stejskal confirmed, and, she said, many of the people of Greensburg were none too happy about it.

Greensburg citizen Larry Brennan still doesn’t know which government agency gave the order to gather up every single gun in Greensburg, which amounted to several hundred. And he’s asked, many times.

Brennan says he knows that some people in this world are against guns. He also understands that in an emergency situation, unsecured guns are better off in the hands of the authorities than lying on the ground where some kid or criminal could pick one up.

But Brennan says that his guns were in a secure, locked case where they’d be safe and dry for a couple of days until he could get to them. When he was allowed into the city to look over his property, he found that his gun case had been broken into and left open to the elements. “They don’t have the right to break into the remains of your house and take your guns,” he said. “They went house-to-house, room-to-room, closet-to-closet, even in structures that were still standing, for three days before they let anybody back into town. If I had three sacks of rare coins in a closet or room (that authorities broke into) and when I came back to retrieve my belongings, if my coins are gone, did they go away with the tornado or did someone take them? We don’t know.”

Brennan then began asking the powers-that-be in town if he could have his guns back. For several days, he was told “No.”

“I called every politician I could think of,” says Brennan. “None of them cared. They said, ‘You’re in an emergency situation.’”

So Brennan—and several other Greensburg citizens—called the NRA. “They were here the next day from Washington, D.C.,” Brennan says.

And they brought a film crew with them.

The NRA wired Brennan with a mic and followed him and others as they went to local authorities asking for their firearms to be returned. The citizens of Greensburg figured out that their guns were being held in a trailer. Brennan says that for three days, people lined up outside the trailer, asking for their firearms to be returned to them. Finally, authorities relented.

When gun owners went to pick up their guns, Brennan says they found them simply piled to the roof of the dark, wet, 40-foot trailer. None of the guns had been labeled, and Brennan says that guns were returned to anyone who claimed to own them.

“I asked, ‘Which ones are mine?’ ‘We don’t know,’ they told me. You sifted through rows and rows terribly rusty, mostly unrecognizable guns. I said, ‘I could take this $1200 Browning over my $800 Remington.’ And they just shrugged their shoulders and said, ‘Yeah, you could.’”

Brennan says that while he’ll still be able to go hunting with his guns, their appearance has been forever damaged. He’s also confident that some people took guns that didn’t belong to them, while others gave up trying to recover their guns altogether. “Most everybody now in Greensburg have recovered everything they could and they have jobs and they’ve moved on. But I’m sure that there are many guns left in that trailer.”

Brennan also said that any gun taken from the ‘gun trailer’ that didn’t have proof of registration had to be registered on the spot.

“Every gun that I retrieved is now registered with the federal government,” Brennan said. “It was gun control. They saw an opportunity in a small community with thousands of guns and they saw an opportunity to seize as many guns as they could.”

NRA officials are about as tight-lipped about the gun incident in Greensburg as the Lawrence Police are about the anarchists, but they seem to be satisfied that the folks in Greensburg are at least having their firearms returned to them. When asked if they thought resident’s guns had been handled improperly, they declined to say.
But they did issue this press release, which is posted on their Web site:

‘Last week, NRA reported that we were investigating allegations of gun confiscation in the aftermath of the tornado that ravaged Greensburg, Kan. NRA received a number of phone calls from troubled NRA members in Greensburg who were concerned that law enforcement had inappropriately removed firearms from their homes after the deadly tornadoes. In response, NRA sent representatives to Greensburg to gather as much information as possible, spoke with area law enforcement and local elected officials to determine what had transpired.

After investigating these complaints, there was no evidence of any illegal gun confiscations or seizures. However, there were firearms recovered by law enforcement that are now in the process of being returned.

Gun owners whose firearms were recovered by area law enforcement may claim them at the ‘gun trailer,’ located east of Davis Park on the north side of US 54. Please bring proper identification. The trailer is open from 10 a.m. until 4 p.m. Monday through Friday until all firearms are returned.

NRA will continue to monitor the situation in Greensburg, and we will remain vigilant in investigating any future complaints of illegal gun confiscation wherever it may happen. If your firearms were recovered by law enforcement following the tornado in Greensburg and you have any trouble retrieving your firearms, please call us at 1-800-392-8683.’

An NRA official did say that if it became necessary to release the film they took while in the small Kansas town they would, but that right now they didn’t think that was the case.

. :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:03 am 
Longtime Regular

That is outrageous. I wonder if people in Kansas said, "That couldn't happen here", When referring to the Katrina confiscations?

"The attitude of people associating guns with nothing but crime, that is what has to be changed. I grew up at a time when people were not afraid of people with firearms." —Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia
Sierra Trading - Firearms Sales, Service and Training

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:29 pm 
Longtime Regular

Hammer - is this for real? I went to the link but it was to basically the entry page - a little searching and I found the story
http://www.lawrencian.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=448&Itemid=1

I'm just appalled that after Katrina this happened and I have not heard squat about it. It's f-ing outragous! The towns people allowed this to happen?

Mostly-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 6:26 am 
Longtime Regular

i thought congress passed something preventing this stuff??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:21 am 
Longtime Regular

Sorry, the link seems to be a little dynamic, but you found it ok......:oops:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.