Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:48 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 The 30-06 and me 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:22 pm 
Longtime Regular

:P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

If you would have said everything the .300 win can do lies within the ballistic spectrum of the 7mm mag, except pain.....then I would agree 100%.

It's like asking "Do you like blonds, brunettes, or red heads"........

my answer today is who cares............ :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:23 pm 
Longtime Regular

Pain is in the shoulder of the gun-holder. :wink:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:19 pm 

hammAR wrote:
Greg M wrote:
I thought you'd never ask:

Ruger MKII Classic with a Nikon Pro Staff 3-9x - 40 scope. Two-inch groups at 100 yards --- best day at the range I've ever had. And I'm no marksman.

Greg, don't mind us getting off track....remember two things, 1) 30-06 has taken every animal in North America and still can/does, and 2) the .mil very successfully used 30-06 in most all early SEA in Rem 700 and Win 70 versions for sniper duty (read about some of the pre-69-70 period snipers).

Good hunting...........

Funny you should mention that. It was Stephen Hunter's Point of Impact that got me to reconsider the 30-06.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:28 pm 
Longtime Regular

When I was young (and that was a while back), I had a Springfield 1903A3 in 30-06. I shot it for several years and as long as I held it to my shoulder correctly, I never had a problem with it. Alas, it got lent out during a period of chaos in my life and I never saw it again.

So, a few years back I saw one for sale. I bought it. Golly, 40 years sure changes one. Couldn't bear the recoil or the sound of it. I sold it at a loss and learned a valuable lesson. I revere the history of the '06 and enjoyed my first go-round with it. I'm older and more of a wimp, I guess.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:24 am 
Longtime Regular

BigRobT wrote:
I dunno, I'd like to argue that fact that .308 is only 2 lbs less than 30.06. I suppose it all depends on what grain projectile one uses. The last time I fired my 30.06 was about three years ago now. I fired five rounds through it. It was painful. It doesn't help that the gun is mostly composite. I was almost in tears from the recoil. My .308 is way easier on the shoulder. Another 30.06 I fired was an M1 Garand. It had some recoil, but it was nowhere near as painful as my hunting rifle (a Remington 710)

The rifle itself is a factor. I can shoot an M1a (.308) all day, but my .308 bolt-action will give me a headache fairly quickly.

macphisto wrote:
If you could own a single bolt-action rifle, what would it be chambered in? I'm not trying to start a heated caliber debate, just looking for some opinions.

I own a single, center-fire, bolt-action rifle, and it is a .308.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:44 pm 

ironbear wrote:
BigRobT wrote:
I dunno, I'd like to argue that fact that .308 is only 2 lbs less than 30.06. I suppose it all depends on what grain projectile one uses. The last time I fired my 30.06 was about three years ago now. I fired five rounds through it. It was painful. It doesn't help that the gun is mostly composite. I was almost in tears from the recoil. My .308 is way easier on the shoulder. Another 30.06 I fired was an M1 Garand. It had some recoil, but it was nowhere near as painful as my hunting rifle (a Remington 710)

The rifle itself is a factor. I can shoot an M1a (.308) all day, but my .308 bolt-action will give me a headache fairly quickly.

macphisto wrote:
If you could own a single bolt-action rifle, what would it be chambered in? I'm not trying to start a heated caliber debate, just looking for some opinions.

I own a single, center-fire, bolt-action rifle, and it is a .308.

I've been told that the M1 and M1A gas operated system reduces recoil energy quite a bit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:00 pm 
Longtime Regular

Greg M wrote:
I've been told that the M1 and M1A gas operated system reduces recoil energy quite a bit.

I'm sure the approximately 40% more mass doesn't hurt either. :) My point was that it isn't just the round that makes the recoil, the rifle can have a significant impact too. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:20 pm 
Longtime Regular

ironbear wrote:
My point was that it isn't just the round that makes the recoil, the rifle can have a significant impact too. :)

Only when you use it as a club................ :P :P :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:52 pm 
On time out

they are all plenty potent enough to kill most game animals.

the swedes routinely shoot moose with 6.5x55 and that is most like a 7-08 than magnum. and yes their moose are just as big.

I have never seen a deer fairly hit with a .250 savage run more than a few feet. I have not seen any elk fairly hit with a swede or a 7x57 mauser make more than 50 yards.

06's are plenty for most of the non dangerous game that walks the planet. The same case blown out to 9.3 mm bore killed everything on the african continent for nearly 75 years

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:29 am 

Quote:
I'm sure the approximately 40% more mass doesn't hurt either.

You bet --- 10% recoil reduction for every extra pound of gun, according to Chuck Hawks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:10 pm 
Longtime Regular

Recoil never used to make me nervous. When I was 14, though, I was deer hunting and dropped my gun on the scope when I slipped on a rock. I took 2 shots a little later to make sure it was still on target, and found that I had mounted the scope too far back. The results were more than a little annoying. I still get nervous every time that scope comes for my face, and I have a mild flinch with my head now. Not sure how to train it out of me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:19 pm 
Longtime Regular

AGoodDay wrote:
Not sure how to train it out of me.

Duct tape................... :P

Start with a scoped 22, properly equipped and installed, then retrain your self with that as you know that it will not "bite" you or poke you in the eye......you need to get the mental memory erased or over-written................then you can move on in confidence...............anyhow that's one way............ :wink:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.