Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:07 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Man uses tazer, gets shot 
 Post subject: Man uses tazer, gets shot
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:27 am 
Longtime Regular

I wasn't sure where to put this.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/14535338/detail.htm

ATLANTA -- An Atlanta man was shot five times when he used a taser to fight off a carjacker.

Officials said the incident happened Wednesday afternoon on Forest Park Road near Conley Road in southeast Atlanta.

Police were called the scene after receiving a call that a man armed with a gun jumped into the victim’s van and told him to drive. Police said the victim gave the man money but at the same time, he tasered the man. Officials said the man then shot the victim five times.

The van crashed into a tree after the incident and the gunman fled. Police are still looking for him.

Officials also said it is not a good idea to use a taser against someone armed with a gun, especially in a confined area.

The victim’s name and condition has not been released but he was alert when he arrived at the hospital.

Post subject: Re: Man uses tazer, gets shot
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:08 am 

Now I know why I got a gun instead or a taser

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:48 am 
Longtime Regular

As this shows, a Taser isn't the right level of force for a gun in your face.
Wonder if it was one of those pretty pink ones? :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:56 am 
Poet Laureate

gunflint wrote:
ATLANTA -- An Atlanta man was shot five times when he used a taser to fight off a carjacker.

...he was alert when he arrived at the hospital.

9mm.

:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:38 pm 

Chuckel some more I though you said you had an XD-9

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:04 pm 
Longtime Regular

Carbide Insert wrote:
gunflint wrote:

...he was alert when he arrived at the hospital.

9mm.

:lol:

Not loaded with the HSTs that are in mine, apparently. :wink:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:20 pm 
1911 tainted

I've read this before and I think the news report is probably wrong. I do believe that the victim could have had one of those hand held units that has to be held to the person it is being used on. So those types of hand held would have to be held to the attacker, once removed, now you have a very mad attacker that will likely shoot you. A civilian taser that actually fires the projectiles, once it is fired, stays on for a predetermined amount of time, like 30 seconds. This is so the victim can taser their attacker and get out of the area. So I think the news story is right on par with other news report, basically wrong.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:45 am 
Longtime Regular

Apdl wrote:

Wish I could carry one of those. Unfortunately I'm a lower class citizen called "college student" who is prone to random and extremely violent outbursts, who constantly binge drinks, uses drugs, and is generally not smart or old enough to be responsible with a gun. I'm not one of the social elite called "citizens" of our country.

Yup, the gun sitting next to me has caused some serious havoc all dangerous in its holster. :roll:

Not speaking against you. Just the ridiculous school rules. "Be responsible, but God forbid we allow you responsibilities."

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:04 am 
Longtime Regular

AGoodDay wrote:
Apdl wrote:

Wish I could carry one of those. Unfortunately I'm a lower class citizen called "college student" who is prone to random and extremely violent outbursts, who constantly binge drinks, uses drugs, and is generally not smart or old enough to be responsible with a gun. I'm not one of the social elite called "citizens" of our country.

Yup, the gun sitting next to me has caused some serious havoc all dangerous in its holster. :roll:

Not speaking against you. Just the ridiculous school rules. "Be responsible, but God forbid we allow you responsibilities."

It really is ridiculous how much universities baby their students. That's one of many reasons I don't miss working at a university.

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:46 am 

cobb wrote:
I've read this before and I think the news report is probably wrong. I do believe that the victim could have had one of those hand held units that has to be held to the person it is being used on. So those types of hand held would have to be held to the attacker, once removed, now you have a very mad attacker that will likely shoot you.

In my younger and stupider days, a group I used to play poker with would use one of those on who ever had the lowest hand. Granted we suspected it to be on the weak end of things, but never having been hit by a quality stungun or tazer it's hard for me to say for sure. It was like ketchup compared to Dave's Insanity Sauce when I got jolted by a CRT I was fixing. I can quite easily see how it would just make somebody angry. Also, how much clothing was the thug wearing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:13 pm 
Longtime Regular

Aside from the caliber issue, it could be that the taser (or stun gun or whatever) succeeded at least in the sense that five non-life-threatening gunshot wounds suggests some really bad aiming.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:47 pm 
Longtime Regular

mrokern wrote:
It really is ridiculous how much universities baby their students. That's one of many reasons I don't miss working at a university.

-Mark

Not to hijack too much, but now they're suggesting that they should call our parents if we drink alcohol.

The current law says that they can only call parents if there is a serious threat to the student's health or safety, if they need someone to make healthcare decisions, etc. Now they want to open the law to say they can notify the "parent of a student at an institution of postsecondary education regarding the student's violation of any federal, state, or local law or of any rule or policy of the institution, governing the use or possession of alcohol or of a controlled substance." (This from House Bill 1780)

There is no other proposed restriction in law.

So, a couple of people and I asked a relatively high level administrator presenting this what, if any, the proposed restriction within the school would be. (Knowing full well what it would be, but figuring it would be best to get it straight out of the horses mouth.) He tried to dodge it but, after repeating the question in new and inventive ways, came to, paraphrased, "I don't know what the restriction would be on it. That's something we'll have to deal with when we get there."

Great, so let's make the rule THEN figure out what it will do. So what will it do? Well, they're going to have some meetings, one of which will inevitably be with risk management. When it comes to notification, safety, etc, the inevitable good sense risk-reducing policy is "if you have the right, you have the responsibility." We have, of course, seen that play out in the past. "You have the right, but are not required, to restrict the carry or possession of firearms on your campuses." Mmhmm.

Further, the school is now enforcing its policies and providing sanctions against students for violations "of any federal, state, or local law or of any rule or policy of the institution" including those "governing the use or possession of alcohol or of a controlled substance" off campus as well.

So, let's sum this up. If an otherwise legal over 21 college student violates some local ordinance... being in possession of alcohol on a sidewalk for example... their parents get a call for it.

Pardon my saying so but this is stupid as hell. :roll:

Sorry for the hijack.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:57 pm 

I don't know what school you go to, but when I was a campus cop we took a lot of students to detox because if we left them where they were, they would have died (of either alcohol poisoning or exposure). Detox costs several hundred dollars, once they figure out you can pay for it.

The school I worked for encouraged students to sign a waiver which would allow us to contact their parents in this circumstance. It was strictly voluntary.

I guess my solution to the problem would be don't drink so much you can't take care of yourself. If you can't keep from doing that, then I'd say you probably do need some parenting.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:47 pm 
Longtime Regular

Erik_Pakieser wrote:
I don't know what school you go to, but when I was a campus cop we took a lot of students to detox because if we left them where they were, they would have died (of either alcohol poisoning or exposure). Detox costs several hundred dollars, once they figure out you can pay for it.

The school I worked for encouraged students to sign a waiver which would allow us to contact their parents in this circumstance. It was strictly voluntary.

I guess my solution to the problem would be don't drink so much you can't take care of yourself. If you can't keep from doing that, then I'd say you probably do need some parenting.

Sure, but they can already call parents if the person can't take care of themselves. That's already there. They want to be able to call people's parents any time there is any alcohol related violation or contact anywhere, on school grounds or not, and for any age, over 21 or not.

If you want someone to behave responsibly, you give them responsibility, not take it away.

And quite frankly, they're adults. If they need parenting beyond what their parents have given them it might be time to start pushing them through the legal system like an adult. Again, the responsibility thing. Currently students get a joke sanction (and it really is a school joke, as in the students joke about how ridiculously light it is) if they have a violation. They avoid getting students involved in the legal system. That's part of responsibility. You don't only get responsibilities, but you are held responsible for your actions. If the school wants these people to act like adults, and they legally are, does it make sense to treat them like children or adults?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:17 pm 
Journeyman Member

Don't bring a knife to a gun fight...or a tazer :roll:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.