Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:52 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
 Classroom taken hostage: wait, it's just a "test" 
 Post subject: Classroom taken hostage: wait, it's just a "test"
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:11 pm 
Longtime Regular

Quote:
http://www.wvec.com/news/topstories/sto ... 1c249.html
ECSU: Campus notified five times about safety drill

05:59 PM EST on Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Reported by: Patrick Terpstra

ELIZABETH CITY, NC -- Officials at Elizabeth City State University are puzzled about why some students on campus did not know about a safety drill conducted Friday.

In the exercise, an undercover police officer took a classroom hostage to test the university’s emergency communications system.

It happened in Room 236 of Moore Hall during a small American Foreign Policey class. For 12 minutes, students lined up against the wall, and one began praying. Many of them, including the professor, were unaware the ordeal was a drill.

The gunman told the unsuspecting professor he would shoot him in the lung.

All students, faculty and staff were sent an e-mail every day last week leading up to the drill, Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs Anthony Brown told 13News.

"It was never our intention to frighten or scare anyone," said Brown. "It's really to test the security measures and make faculty and students feel safe."

Administrators say the e-mails were vague to keep it realistic, and say had anyone's safety been compromised, the officer dressed as a gunman would have immediately stopped the drill.

ECSU junior Greg Staffod told 13News the school sends out lots of e-mails that he does not always read. He said he and his classmates should not have been unwitting test subjects.

The exercise mimicked a drill at the University of North Carolina-Greensboro, Brown said.

Look for more on this story tonight beginning at 5 on 13News.

Lucky someone didn't get brave or have a firearm. This is NOT making things safer! They terrified their students and staff for 12 minutes before saying: "This has been a drill, just kidding about all that fear and trauma!"

Post subject: Re: Classroom taken hostage: wait, it's just a "test&qu
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:23 pm 
Longtime Regular

Quote:
Administrators say the e-mails were vague to keep it realistic, and say had anyone's safety been compromised, the officer dressed as a gunman would have immediately stopped the drill....

Ahha! a smoking gun (so to speak)

Quote:
Dear students

Something may or may not occur in one or more or none of the rooms on or off campus. If something does or does not occur be advised that it is only a drill!

So please spread the word to other students to be alert for something, maybe, or not.

Have a nice weekend!

Your School Administrator
Admin signature here!

:lol:

Mostly-

Post subject: Re: Classroom taken hostage: wait, it's just a "test&qu
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:29 pm 
Longtime Regular

plblark wrote:
Lucky someone didn't get brave or have a firearm. This is NOT making things safer! They terrified their students and staff for 12 minutes before saying: "This has been a drill, just kidding about all that fear and trauma!"

I wonder if they had signed consent forms from any of the students involved. Aren't they usually required before involving someone in a psychology experiment?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:41 pm 
Longtime Regular

response on a board I'm on:
Quote:
The guy has a gun, and you don't know it's a fake. Would you really have attacked him with a chair?

plblark wrote:
Open secret: I have a carry permit and do so everywhere allowed by law and my employment. I practice a bit and participate in a couple shooting sports. I'm careful and competent.

In my state, the U may prohibit students and faculty by threat of academic sanction but cannot prohibit visitors with permits. everyone (staff, students, guests) may store them in their vehicles as parking lots cannot be prohibited here.

So, I've occasionally dropped in on old professors. I stopped in to see a friend who went back to school. I had a SIL and her BF at the U, etc... I've had a lot of occasions to be on campus and sitting in the back of the classroom waiting for a class to end. Did I mention I did this while armed and nothing happened?

What a crappy situation to be in, but MAN would that be a BAD scene here.

Now replay the scenario? You've got a guy bursting in, taking the whole classroom hostage and explicitly threatening the to shoot the prof in the lung? with a gun visible. for 12 minutes? When is this nutcase going to snap? how many times is he going to look away and present a good shot?

My favorite lecture hall is an auditorium bowl. it's ~25 yards max. Solid backstop. no innocents behind target. Solid silhouette against all white-board walls. I KNOW I can make That shot. I haven't put one outside the COM unintentionally in some months except on very rapid fire. The undercover cop would net even have time to react before the tragedy was all over. We'd all be sorry and we'd all have regrets but D4 Man!

I don't want to be a hero, I just want me and mine to go home safe. Heaven forbid anyone ever have to make that decision. Especially in the name of a drill for safety.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:00 pm 
Longtime Regular

Nicely said plblark.

People are amazed that we can carry at colleges and universities on some of the national boards. I love our carry law :D

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:28 pm 
Longtime Regular

There are a lot of ways to test the communication system, however, this is not one of them.

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:30 am 
Longtime Regular

Administrators and police (campus or otherwise) involved should be booked for felony . . . making terroristic threats. Let the underlings plead down for incriminating the upper management and go for max sentences on the brass. . . .

Given some of the absolute crap (adult kid gets felony MTT for telling his father he will kick his @$$ if dad doesn't stop beating mom) cases they are handing out Making Terroristic Threats charges for these days, I have a hard time imagining that 12 minutes of looking down the barrel of anything except an obvious (red or blue) training gun, be it airsoft, a real gun loaded with snap-caps, whatever. If there was anything like reasonable belief that the gun was real. . . . the charges would have to stick.

This almost seems like an issolated incident.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:10 am 
Longtime Regular

It's always illegal to take hostages. One would think the administrators would know that. They are so used to having all the power, and everyone else being a sheep, they didn't even see the obvious danger of being taken out by one of the "sheep".

It's no wonder some administrators are opposed to carry. Brilliant people, who know nothing, run the show.

If the next day, the students locked up say, the Dean, without his or her permission for ten minutes, and then explained they were just trying to teach the Dean and everyone else what might really happen had they been "serious", or they were practicing performance art for a class, no one would accept that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:07 am 
Longtime Regular

Dick Unger wrote:
It's always illegal to take hostages.

I think that's all that needs to be said.

I would like to see criminal charges. I am certain we'll see some hefty civil claims.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:13 am 
Longtime Regular

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,333069,00.html
Quote:
ELIZABETH CITY, N.C. — Elizabeth City State University is offering counseling to faculty and students after some became unknowing participants in an emergency response drill.

The News & Observer of Raleigh reported in Wednesday's editions that an armed man burst into a classroom Friday, threatening to kill students. The drill came eight days after a gunman killed five people and himself in a classroom at Northern Illinois University.

Anthony Brown, vice chancellor of student affairs, said ECSU was testing its response to such shootings. E-mail and text messages were sent five days before the drill, notifying students, staff and faculty, he said.

"The intent was not to frighten them but to test our system and also to test the response of the security that was on campus and the people that were notified," Brown said.

But not everyone got the word, including assistant professor Jingbin Wang, whose American foreign policy class was held hostage.

"I was prepared to die at that moment," Wang said Tuesday of the moment the gunman entered the room.

At 1:31 p.m. Friday, e-mail and text messages were sent, saying: "This is a test. ECSU is holding a test drill where an armed intruder will enter a room in Moore Hall and be detained by campus police."

The campus police officer who played the role of the intruder carried a red plastic model gun, the school said in a news release.

In a telephone interview Tuesday, Wang said the man came to the door and said he wanted to talk. "Suddenly the man pointed the gun at me," he said, adding that he didn't have time to consider whether the gun was real.

The seven students were lined up against the wall, and the intruder threatened to kill the one with the lowest grade point average. Wang said the man told them that he had been kicked out of school and that he needed a lung transplant.

After about 10 minutes, campus police ended the drill by subduing the man.

In April, 32 students at Virginia Tech were killed by student gunman Seung-Hui Cho. That shooting has led schools to examine their emergency plans and conduct safety drills.

For example, UNC-Greensboro held an active shooter exercise in January that was attended by law enforcement and university officials from around the state. But students were not on campus when the drill was held during winter break.

So it was a red gun. Still amazingly stupid.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:19 am 
Forum Moderator

It would have been interesting if one of the students had kicked his ass up around his shoulders!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:09 pm 

Insane.

Felony kidnapping. Felony assault with a deadly weapon (remember, assault is in the mind of the victim, as is the deadliness of the weapon.) Terroristic threats. Assault on a minor. Conspiracy to commit all of the above.

The lot of them, from the Vice Chancellor on down, ought to be arrested and booked, just as a test of the process, even if they end up not being charged.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.