Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:42 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post Office Ninja Scares Woman to Death! 
 Post subject: Post Office Ninja Scares Woman to Death!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:43 pm 
Longtime Regular

http://www.news24.com/News24/South_Afri ... 31,00.html

Quote:
Pensioner dies of fright
04/03/2008 09:25 - (SA)
Pietermaritzburg - A pensioner collapsed and died of fright on Monday after a gun accidentally went off inside the central post office in Pietermaritzburg while people were queuing for grants.

A security guard dropped his .38 Special revolver and it went off - scaring the pensioners. Nora Mazibuko, 68, from Bulwer collapsed and died on the scene.

Terrified senior citizens scrambled for safety.

Police spokesperson Henry Budhram said the bullet did not hit anyone.

Mazibuko's daughter, Philisiwe Mazibuko, who was waiting for her mother outside, said the elderly woman died immediately.

"I went inside soon after the sound and I found my mother lying down. She had stopped breathing, it happened so suddenly, I couldn't believe she was gone," she said.

Paramedics were called, but Mazibuko was already dead. The exact cause of her death has not been determined.

"At this stage an inquest will be carried out to determine the exact cause of Mazibuko's death and a case of negligent discharging of a firearm is being investigated against the security officer," said Budhram.

Temperatures reached 36°C in Pietermaritzburg on Monday and Mazibuko had been waiting in the long queue in the scorching sun outside for more than five hours before finally reaching the door to the post office.

Lets see... 36 C = about 97 F. Interesting... Oh, and I'm not sure I've ever heard of a revolver "just going off" when dropped. Another thing- why would it be out of the holster in the first place? Could it be he was playing with it? :roll:

"Build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a night. Set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life." ~ unknown

Never been tazered. (yet).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:01 pm 
On time out

Lots of older revolvers do not have inertia blocks or transfer bars.

I know of two revolvers going off being dropped, one was my grandfathers, an older S&W which fell off the dresser and landed hammer down, and one at a gun show not too long ago where the gun was in a case, the end was not zipped shut and the guy picked up the case and the gun landed on the grip, which left enough room for the hammer to bounce enough to set the round off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:59 pm 
Longtime Regular

1911fan wrote:
the gun was in a case, the end was not zipped shut and the guy picked up the case and the gun landed on the grip, which left enough room for the hammer to bounce enough to set the round off.

Cased and unloaded.

I don't understand why that's so hard for some people.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:44 am 
Longtime Regular

macphisto wrote:
1911fan wrote:
the gun was in a case, the end was not zipped shut and the guy picked up the case and the gun landed on the grip, which left enough room for the hammer to bounce enough to set the round off.

Cased and unloaded.

I don't understand why that's so hard for some people.

This was in South Africa not in the US. The revolver most likely was not a newer revolver with appropriate safety features for drop safe.

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:28 pm 

What’s up with Philisiwe? “Hey mom, you go wait in line while I hang out under this shady tree….”

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.