Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:38 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Minneapolis Gun Buy Back 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:49 pm 
1911 tainted

ttousi wrote:
e5usmc wrote:
BigRobT wrote:
I have to say, after 11 years of being away, I miss the military bases and areas. I always found good deals on stuff on/around the bases due to someone always being broke. Not to mention, the commissary privileges I can't enjoy here. Also, all of the bases I was stationed at were in more moderate climates.

+1

What I wouldn't give to have one more day on an Okinawa beach or a Saturday at Hiji Falls (sp) followed by a big plate of "Taco, Rice, and Cheese" and a beer in Kin-cho...

Okinawa, Subic Bay.......... :wink: The things memories are made of..

26, 27 years ago, it seems to be all a blur to me now. :?

I think I would be hard pressed to find BC street again. :shock: :P 8)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:53 am 
Longtime Regular

cobb wrote:
ttousi wrote:
e5usmc wrote:
BigRobT wrote:
I have to say, after 11 years of being away, I miss the military bases and areas. I always found good deals on stuff on/around the bases due to someone always being broke. Not to mention, the commissary privileges I can't enjoy here. Also, all of the bases I was stationed at were in more moderate climates.

+1

What I wouldn't give to have one more day on an Okinawa beach or a Saturday at Hiji Falls (sp) followed by a big plate of "Taco, Rice, and Cheese" and a beer in Kin-cho...

Okinawa, Subic Bay.......... :wink: The things memories are made of..

26, 27 years ago, it seems to be all a blur to me now. :?

I think I would be hard pressed to find BC street again. :shock: :P 8)

Being at Camp Hansen, Kin-ville (Sin-ville) was enough to hold my attention... Made it down to the Kadenda area (BC) from time to time in my 2 years on the rock, but knew enough (even in my youth) that if I spent too much time there I would end up in some sort of trouble. At a minimum standing tall before the 1st Sgt...

Pohang and Pattaya :shock: are also permanantly etched into my brain housing group.... :wink:

I often find myself going back through the old photo albums (which are now edited for content as my kids like to go through them also) and think to myself "I've got to get back there one of these days".

-Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:04 am 
Longtime Regular

I was spoiled, I mean stationed at Camp Humphreys. Had a few trip to Seoul and Osan.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:41 pm 
Longtime Regular

I spent all my time in Germany, although I would have like to have seen Korea and Japan.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:47 pm 
Longtime Regular

Ohh, let the interservice rivalry begin!! During MY tenure in Uncle Sam's Canoe Club, I got to visit 18 different countries!! :D Some, I wouldn't mind going back to visit, some, might as well fall off the face of the Earth!! We got to shore base during ops with the Carl Vinson at some funky Army post near Pusan. (1983)

"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." [...a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand.] -- (Lucius Annaeus) Seneca "the Younger" (ca. 4 BC-65 AD),

The Nanny State MUST DIE!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:51 pm 
Longtime Regular

Karamursel Common Defense Installation not too far from Istanbul, Turkey. Would I go back? Well, the installation itself is now in Turkish hands, but I loved the opportunity to visit Turkey and have a deep affection for the Turkish people. At that time, I learned enough Turkish to "get by." I've thought occasionally of going back to visit the area.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:14 pm 
Longtime Regular

Old Dude wrote:
Karamursel Common Defense Installation not too far from Istanbul, Turkey. Would I go back? Well, the installation itself is now in Turkish hands, but I loved the opportunity to visit Turkey and have a deep affection for the Turkish people. At that time, I learned enough Turkish to "get by." I've thought occasionally of going back to visit the area.

Merhaba Kardesim! Nasilsiniz? :lol:

"Build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a night. Set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life." ~ unknown

Never been tazered. (yet).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:29 pm 
Longtime Regular

Cok iyim!

When were you there?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:36 pm 
Delicate Flower

Looks like this is turning into the Vets topic......we have become our Fathers/Grandfathers :shock: :shock:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:25 pm 
Longtime Regular

Old Dude wrote:
Cok iyim!

When were you there?

Glad to hear it! :wink: , Bendi.

My ex-wife is from Samsun (port city on the Black Sea), we met when I lived in Saudi in '83. Been to Turkiye a couple dozen times. Love the country, but their ex-wives could be better... ! :shock:

I too would love to go back. People here just don't get what a cool place it is, and how friendly the people really can be.

We'll have to talk sometime.

"Build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a night. Set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life." ~ unknown

Never been tazered. (yet).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:31 am 
Longtime Regular

ttousi wrote:
Looks like this is turning into the Vets topic......we have become our Fathers/Grandfathers :shock: :shock:

With all this gray hair i'd better have become something! :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:33 am 
Longtime Regular

Hair? Hair? I seem to remember that I once had some. I no longer use shampoo. I use Mop 'N Glow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:08 am 
Longtime Regular

Aquaholic wrote:
Old Dude wrote:
Cok iyim!

When were you there?

Glad to hear it! :wink: , Bendi.

My ex-wife is from Samsun (port city on the Black Sea), we met when I lived in Saudi in '83. Been to Turkiye a couple dozen times. Love the country, but their ex-wives could be better... ! :shock:

I too would love to go back. People here just don't get what a cool place it is, and how friendly the people really can be.

We'll have to talk sometime.

Ahhh... Samsun (and the whole coast there including Trebazond), is one of my favorite places. Beaches near there, nice and cool in the hot summer, amazing food, full of friendly Turks, not other tourists (especially not German tourists)... I love Turkey!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:54 am 
Longtime Regular

I was at Karamursel and was more familiar with Bursa. Nice city, but crossing some of the streets was an exercise in timing. I also did some runs to Istanbul on the local "feribot."

I made it as far south along the Aegean as Ephesus, Pergamum and Troy. Beautiful area, and a wonderful spot for vacationing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:08 pm 
Longtime Regular

Old Dude wrote:
Nice city, but crossing some of the streets was an exercise in timing..

I think that's pretty much anywhere overseas. Naples, Hong Kong, Japan, Spain, etc.

"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." [...a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand.] -- (Lucius Annaeus) Seneca "the Younger" (ca. 4 BC-65 AD),

The Nanny State MUST DIE!!!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.