Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:49 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Here We Go Again 
 Post subject: Here We Go Again
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:16 am 
Longtime Regular

Here's a new idea from England that might work to reduce crime.

Clarke launches amnesty on knives to reduce stabbings
By Nigel Morris, Home Affairs Correspondent
Published: 09 February 2006

A five-week nationwide knives amnesty is being launched in the summer in an attempt to drive down numbers of stabbings.

More than 230 people were stabbed to death last year and concern over levels of knife crime have been highlighted by the killing of City lawyer Tom ap Rhys Pryce last month.

Under the amnesty, which will run between 24 May and 30 June in England, Wales and Scotland, members of the public can leave bladed weapons in drop-in bins which will be provided at police stations throughout the country without fear of prosecution.

Charles Clarke, the Home Secretary, said: "Tackling knife culture, especially among young people, is paramount to the safety of our communities, and I am determined to reduce the devastation caused by knife crime."

He added: "Carrying knives on the streets will not be tolerated. Every weapon handed in during the amnesty will be a weapon that cannot be used in crime."

The amnesty coincides with measures in the Violent Crime Bill, which is currently passing through Parliament, which raises the minimum age for buying a knife from 16 to 18. It also gives headteachers the power to search pupils for weapons.

A five-week nationwide knives amnesty is being launched in the summer in an attempt to drive down numbers of stabbings.

More than 230 people were stabbed to death last year and concern over levels of knife crime have been highlighted by the killing of City lawyer Tom ap Rhys Pryce last month.

Under the amnesty, which will run between 24 May and 30 June in England, Wales and Scotland, members of the public can leave bladed weapons in drop-in bins which will be provided at police stations throughout the country without fear of prosecution.

Charles Clarke, the Home Secretary, said: "Tackling knife culture, especially among young people, is paramount to the safety of our communities, and I am determined to reduce the devastation caused by knife crime."

He added: "Carrying knives on the streets will not be tolerated. Every weapon handed in during the amnesty will be a weapon that cannot be used in crime."

The amnesty coincides with measures in the Violent Crime Bill, which is currently passing through Parliament, which raises the minimum age for buying a knife from 16 to 18. It also gives headteachers the power to search pupils for weapons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:24 am 
Longtime Regular

Sheesh. Glad I live here. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:18 am 
Forum Moderator/<br>AV Geek

...and so it begins...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:26 am 
Longtime Regular

England is far beyond the beginning of its madness.

Pakrat wrote:
...and so it begins...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:00 am 
Longtime Regular

Additionally, please make sure to drop off your scissors, pens, forks, skewers, garden tools, hammers, screwdrivers, tireirons, knitting needles, and anything else that can be swung, thrust, or thrown in a violent manner or used as a weapon of opportunity. We will continue to keep you safe from harm by offering amnesty, rehabilitating those that would harm you, and drafting silly laws...

The pen, afterall, is mightier than the sword... Provided that your pen is actually a pencil not to exceed 3 inches in length...

I am embarrased to be a Briton... :oops: :oops: :oops:

Maybe if I go buy some nice new leather I'll feel better... :idea:

-Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:16 am 
Journeyman Member

...and in restaurants throughout the U.K., your meals will be pre-cut into little pieces in a locked and guarded room manned by specially trained and supervised attendants, so as not to expose the diners to the horrors of "The Knife"

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:56 am 
Longtime Regular

APD wrote:
...and in restaurants throughout the U.K., your meals will be pre-cut into little pieces in a locked and guarded room manned by specially trained and supervised attendants, so as not to expose the diners to the horrors of "The Knife"

I suspose they will have to bring in members of "SAS" to do the dangerous cutting!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:19 am 

And, speaking of the SAS, I have often wondered - aloud, even - how such a sissified, wimpy society manages to produce the warriors comprising the SAS and other forces.

Great Britain has a fine war machine, populated by some really 'bad' men; where do they get them? Will they be able to continue finding them n such a protected society?

JB

John Farnam (I believe)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:06 pm 
Longtime Regular

Probably kidnapped and brainwashed from our (usa) special ops teams! :shock:

They are probably very good at brainwashing in England, how else could they get so many people to drink so much WARM BEER!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:43 pm 
Longtime Regular

Special Ops types aren't just born, they are made. It does, however, take a certain breed of man to even be molded into a Special Ops type.

"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." [...a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand.] -- (Lucius Annaeus) Seneca "the Younger" (ca. 4 BC-65 AD),

The Nanny State MUST DIE!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:30 pm 
Longtime Regular

grayskys wrote:
They are probably very good at brainwashing in England, how else could they get so many people to drink so much WARM BEER!!!!

Its not warm, its cask conditioned and served at cellar temp. True, it is not refrigerated like we are used to in the states, but it is FAR from warm...

That is all....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:55 pm 

Look for a ban on cricket bats next year....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:33 pm 
Longtime Regular

mo_the_mouse wrote:
grayskys wrote:

Its not warm, its cask conditioned and served at cellar temp. True, it is not refrigerated like we are used to in the states, but it is FAR from warm...

Well ok, I must admit I have never had English beer. But I am yet to be convinced. This may require a beer tasting of some sort!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:36 pm 
Longtime Regular

CW Spook wrote:
Look for a ban on cricket bats next year....

I thought they had already banned those, except on the cricket field (and no I am not making a joke). :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:43 pm 
Longtime Regular

Actually the style of beer served at cellar temperatures tastes best at cellar temperatures. Ale's are commonly served this way, and as they increase in temperature the flavors in the beer come out.
I tried an ice cold Guiness Stout before, and there was hardly any flavor at all.

Lighter beer styles like some lagers and pilseners tast better when served chilled. We in the USA are accustomed to these.
The British Isles are more into the ale's.
Both are good.

Try the right beer at the right temperature. You might like it.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.