Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:12 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 What exactly is "police caliber ammunition"? 
 Post subject: What exactly is "police caliber ammunition"?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:42 pm 

I heard that term on KMSP refering to a story where a couple of teenagers from Isanti have been shooting and killing livestock. I usally blow that stuff off, but minutes later I flipped to an episode of Mythbusters, (great show BTW) and heard a guy talking about a "semi-automatic bolt action rifle". *stumped*

Later on the History channel I heard things like bullet, cartridge, clip, magazine, etc used incorrectly. Not to mention "high powered rifles".

I'm thinking I could do my own version of mythbusters!

Ugh!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:53 am 
Longtime Regular

Yeah, that is dumb. Sure, in, like, Mexico, civilians are restricted from using calibers the police and military do, but it means nothing in this country.

I think the term "police caliber" as used by TV commentators means "a gun like I saw cops using on COPS".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:21 am 
Longtime Regular

I'm shocked that Mythbusters would make a faux pas like that since Jaime was US Army Special Forces. "Police caliber" means to me a 9mm or a 40 S&W for their handguns, as that is what the majority of PDs use. There are a few PDs that allow .45acp. As far as rifles, it depends on the job they're doing, but generally .223 or maybe .308 for their snipers. Of course, you always will have the ever present 12 ga shotgun.

"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." [...a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand.] -- (Lucius Annaeus) Seneca "the Younger" (ca. 4 BC-65 AD),

The Nanny State MUST DIE!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:20 am 
Forum Moderator/<br>AV Geek

As long as it wasn't just a mix up in terms, it would just mean the same caliber the police use.

If it was a mix up in terms, I'll bet they were trying to say that it was the same type of ammo (hollowpoints, possibly +P?) that the police use. Which in the media's eyes makes it evil in the hands of civilians.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: What exactly is "police caliber ammunition"?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:28 pm 
Longtime Regular

[quote="johnalbert"]I flipped to an episode of Mythbusters, (great show BTW) and heard a guy talking about a "semi-automatic bolt action rifle". quote] Is that like an automatic standard transmission?

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:42 am 
Longtime Regular

I watch Mythbusters pretty regularly. I didn't notice that little oops on the semi automatic bot action. Maybe I missed that episode- they've done several featuring guns in some way or another.

Or I was asleep at the wheel, and the comment didn't register.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:19 pm 

BigRobT wrote:
I'm shocked that Mythbusters would make a faux pas like that since Jaime was US Army Special Forces.

No mention of this on the Mythbusters website. Is this info somewhere else?

http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/mythb ... et_02.html

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:43 pm 
Longtime Regular

bahhh, that's what I get for listening to others :roll: I had heard/ read that someplace, but a quick Google showed me differently. :oops:

"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." [...a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand.] -- (Lucius Annaeus) Seneca "the Younger" (ca. 4 BC-65 AD),

The Nanny State MUST DIE!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:39 am 

Sorry guys. It wasn't one of the mythbusters that said it. They were researching weapons made in prison(paper crossbow episode) and it was the warden that said it.

I think? Now I'm doubting myself :?: :?: :?: I'm pretty sure that's what I heard.

I'll have to catch a re-run.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.