Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:44 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 "Loss" reported for background checks 
 Post subject: "Loss" reported for background checks
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:03 am 
Longtime Regular

Next time some shifty sheriff or anti politician reports that they are loosing money on the background checks I will refer them to this. http://www.kstp.com/article/stories/S14248.html?cat=1
Quote:
"I think there's a misconception that that was the goal – revenue,” says MnPass Administrator Nick Thompson. “That's never been our goal."

Quote:
A proposal to expand the MnPass program currently in use on 394 to other areas may not have a lot of support as it is currently losing over $1,200 per day.

The proposal is to add a MnPass lane on a six mile stretch of 35W, between 494 and Highway 13. The nine-month-old MnPass will lose $450,000 in its first year of operation, and currently loses $1,232 each day.

"I think there's a misconception that that was the goal – revenue,” says MnPass Administrator Nick Thompson. “That's never been our goal."

Thompson says the program’s goal was instead to reduce traffic congestion. Officials at Minnesota’s Regional Traffic Management Center in Roseville say MnPass has reduced congestion on an eight-mile stretch of 394 by half.

The officials also admit the $450,000 loss is $1.2 million short of projections.

"All our objectives - except for kind of our revenue goals - are being met,” said Thompson.

MnPass has had twice as many users as projected, with 9,300 in total. Drivers pay $1.50 per week to lease a small white transponder that is placed on a vehicle’s windshield. Tolls are then deducted from the users’ account, from a low of 25 cents to $8.

David Strom of the Minnesota Taxpayers League says the program’s pricing does not reflect demand. "It's clearly overpriced, because there's not enough cars on that yet," he said.

Strom says the program should be more affordable and should be expanded to all major metro freeways.

"Whatever money we get from the tolls pales in comparison to just getting cars off the normal two lanes that people aren't paying for and freeing up traffic space for everybody,” Strom said.

MnPass will start a major new marketing campaign next month to increase drivers and revenue.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:39 am 
Longtime Regular

OK. Maybe I am being dense, but what does MN Pass have to do with background checks? How are you tying the two together?

That is all....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:16 am 
Forum Moderator/<br>AV Geek

I think I take it as "Money is not the point". Background checks are a step to having the public defend itself. Which is priceless.

As for the MnPass lanes, if money is not the point, then why charge for it? Why not build these lanes and allow anyone to use them when they are headed the direction the lanes are going. Then make a system that points where the lesser traffic is. MNPass is just an end-round on the toll system they can't get put in. (reminds me of anti-gunners, just a little here and there)

As for MnPass on 35w, they really need to do a study first. Open the HOV lane to ALL traffic during rush hour and see how that does. If it doesn't lessen traffic with 100% usage, then there is something wrong with the road. I would support MNPass on 35w if they built a NEW seperate section (build upwards). But, don't break a 6 lane highway like they did with 394.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:59 am 
Longtime Regular

Quote:
I think I take it as "Money is not the point". Background checks are a step to having the public defend itself. Which is priceless.
Correct whether they are making or losing money in the background checks it should not matter, it's for safety not income.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:30 am 
Longtime Regular

Now, I may be wrong here, but I was TOLD that the background check for a "Permit to Purchase" and the background check for "Permit to Carry" are done the same way. So......... if one can get a "Permit to Purchase" for free, why can't one get a "Permit to Carry" for free?? Mark Olson, my local congressman, (until we recently moved), believes that we shouldn't have to pay for the "Permit to Carry", either.

"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." [...a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand.] -- (Lucius Annaeus) Seneca "the Younger" (ca. 4 BC-65 AD),

The Nanny State MUST DIE!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:22 pm 

BigRobT wrote:
Mark Olson, my local congressman, (until we recently moved), believes that we shouldn't have to pay for the "Permit to Carry", either.

Great man... anyone invite him to a CCRN meeting?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:59 pm 
Longtime Regular

It's an interesting issue. With a state-imposed lack-of-fee, the sheriffs would be screaming about unfunded mandates.

Never mind that permit-to-purchase background checks are exactly that.

Another interesting issue is whether a $100 fee for a permit to carry unfairly discriminates against those lacking the funds to pay for the permit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:37 pm 

Andrew Rothman wrote:
Another interesting issue is whether a $100 fee for a permit to carry unfairly discriminates against those lacking the funds to pay for the permit.

Very hard to argue with that reasoning. (quoting in Joel's proposal thread)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:39 pm 
Longtime Regular

Pakrat wrote:
BigRobT wrote:
Mark Olson, my local congressman, (until we recently moved), believes that we shouldn't have to pay for the "Permit to Carry", either.

Great man... anyone invite him to a CCRN meeting?

No, but I will. He is pretty pro-gun, pro 2nd, etc. H seems like the GOP of the olden days. Super guy, all in all.

"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." [...a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand.] -- (Lucius Annaeus) Seneca "the Younger" (ca. 4 BC-65 AD),

The Nanny State MUST DIE!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:44 pm 
Longtime Regular

Since background checks are SOOOO expensive, maybe we should eliminate the need for permits to purchase. Anyone who wants to buy a handgun can do so, the NICS conducted by the dealer, not the police.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.