Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:13 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Community Options apartments 
 Post subject: Community Options apartments
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:35 am 

I believe these are subsidized apartments at 1585 Rice Street in Saint Paul. I can pretty much guarantee there are more criminals with guns than permit holders in these apartments.

Post subject: Re: Community Options apartments
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:52 am 

I believe that Community Options is a halfway-house type mental health/treatment facility, and therefore required to prohibit firearms by statute (same prohibition as a state hospital or mental health facility). My wife worked at one of their group homes, and it fell under the prohibtion.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:11 pm 
Longtime Regular

Quote:
I believe that Community Options is a halfway-house type mental health/treatment facility, and therefore required to prohibit firearms by statute (same prohibition as a state hospital or mental health facility). My wife worked at one of their group homes, and it fell under the prohibtion.

I believe that she was told that, but it does not appear that the law actually says that.

https://www.revisor.leg.state.mn.us/statutes/?id=243.55

Quote:
243.55 CONTRABAND ARTICLES; EXCEPTIONS; PENALTY.
Subdivision 1.Contraband; bringing into correctional facility; felony.

Any person who brings, sends, or in any manner causes to be introduced into any state correctional facility or state hospital, or within or upon the grounds belonging to or land or controlled by any such facility or hospital, or is found in possession of any controlled substance as defined in section 152.01, subdivision 4, or any firearms, weapons or explosives of any kind, without the consent of the chief executive officer thereof, shall be guilty of a felony....

<...>

Subd. 3.State hospital or hospital; definition.

As used in this section, "state hospital" or "hospital" means any state-operated facility or hospital under the authority of the commissioner of human services for (a) persons with mental illness, developmental disabilities, or chemical dependency, (b) sex offenders, (c) persons with a sexual psychopathic personality, or (d) sexually dangerous person.

In contrast:
http://da.sos.state.mn.us/minnesota/cor ... ty+Options
Quote:
Filing Number: 14754-LLC
Entity Type: Limited Liability Company
Original Date of Filing: 1/7/2000
Entity Status: Active
Entity Date to Expire: 01/07/2030
Chapter: 322B
Good Standing: (date of last annual filing) 2008
Name: Community Options St. Paul, LLC
Registered Office Address: 15100 Stone Rd
Wayzata, MN, 55391
Home State: MN

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:19 pm 
Longtime Regular

Odds are pretty good that none of the residents would qualify to posses or carry I'll wager and the employees are probably prohibited by company policy. Visitors are left in the cold.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:30 pm 

Quote:
Subd. 3.State hospital or hospital; definition.

As used in this section, "state hospital" or "hospital" means any state-operated facility or hospital under the authority of the commissioner of human services for (a) persons with mental illness, developmental disabilities, or chemical dependency, (b) sex offenders, (c) persons with a sexual psychopathic personality, or (d) sexually dangerous person.

If they are contracting out to provide these services for DHS - which my wife's former facility in Fridley did - then I would believe they fall under the same law.

While I'm no fan of the camel's nose under the tent, activism against the prohibition of guns in facilities which house people who meet the above criteria is not a battle well-choosen, IMHO.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:21 am 
Longtime Regular

They're not state-operated. That's 100% clear in the law.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.