Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:50 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 Metro Transit- No carry on bus? 
 Post subject: Metro Transit- No carry on bus?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:14 pm 
Journeyman Member

I was coming home tonight from campus on one of the MVTA buses and saw a "no weapons" sign while in my seat. I could not find any mention of such a policy on their website, although I can't find much there besides fare listings and route information.

I am under the impression as this is public transit that is partially (if not totally) funded by the state that they cannot post such a sign. I suppose the same question applies on the light rail.

Post subject: Re: Metro Transit- No carry on bus?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:30 am 
Longtime Regular

No government entity -- state, county, city, metro council -- can restrict carry by permit holders beyond what is provided for in the law see MN Stat. 624.714, Subd. 23. The buses are run my the Metropolitan Council. Ergo, they cannot legally ban permit holders from carrying.

Still, sheesh! The Met Council has a...

Quote:
...staff of 3,700 and an annual operating budget of about $700 million, 90 percent of which is funded by state appropriations and user fees such as wastewater treatment charges and transit fares. Just 10 percent comes from local property taxes.

Quote:
The 17-member Metropolitan Council has 16 members who each represent a geographic district and one chair who serves at large. They are all appointed by and serve at the pleasure of the governor.

That's a LOT pf power for an unelected group of bureaucrats.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:16 am 
Journeyman Member

Yikes! It seems like a lot of people and money to run a bus line, if that's all they do...

Thanks for the response!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:40 am 
Longtime Regular

singhcr wrote:
Yikes! It seems like a lot of people and money to run a bus line, if that's all they do...

Thanks for the response!

They're busy crapping all over your private property rights and taxes too. (if you live in the seven county metro)

Hense why I do as little business as posisble within those county lines. My friends who are all at the point in their lifes where they are starting to look at buying houses are refusing to do so in the 7 county metro, not because housing is more expensive, but the taxes and loss of freedoms add up.

Fuck MetCouncil.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:52 am 
Journeyman Member

This may be off-topic, but now that I think about it, the Target Center is actually owned by the city of Minneapolis. I go to about 10-20 games per year (gotta love those $5 tickets!) and found this out recently. Therefore, they can't post, right?

The Metrodome and Xcel Center are public properties, the Twins/Vikings/Wild only rent them, so why can any of these places post?

It's frustrating for me as aside from going to Wolves games, I really don't have much of a reason to head downtown and that's definitely a place that I'd like to carry in, as my brother was nearly mugged when he was walking to the TC for a Lakers game last February. It is one of the rare times where the police were on-scene almost immediately, and for some reason the mugger decided to pick on the big 6+ foot guy who threw a table at him instead of choosing my brother, who's only about 5'8".

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:11 am 
Longtime Regular

singhcr wrote:
This may be off-topic, but now that I think about it, the Target Center is actually owned by the city of Minneapolis. I go to about 10-20 games per year (gotta love those $5 tickets!) and found this out recently. Therefore, they can't post, right?

The Metrodome and Xcel Center are public properties, the Twins/Vikings/Wild only rent them, so why can any of these places post?

The dome is posted by the teams, not the facility owners. At least that's the way the signs read. Who actually prints the signs and puts them up, I don't know. I believe that as tenants with exclusive use of the property, the teams can post.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:53 pm 
Longtime Regular

The law is pretty clear on who may and who may not post and what form that posting is supposed to take. That does not prevent them from trying to post and most likely acting as if they may post if they find you carrying past their sign.

Be clever as serpents yet innocent as doves as wise man once said.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:44 pm 

Lenny7 wrote:
The dome is posted by the teams, not the facility owners. At least that's the way the signs read. Who actually prints the signs and puts them up, I don't know. I believe that as tenants with exclusive use of the property, the teams can post.

That's always been my understanding with the dome and xcel. The teams, who are renting the facility, are the ones posting.. The signs at the Xcel even state something to that effect..

My Homebrew journal http://brew.goalie.cx

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:54 pm 
Longtime Regular

Depending on the event, the Dome has been posted as "Metropolitan Sports Facilities Commission Bans... etc."

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:03 pm 
Longtime Regular

We took the kids to a monster truck thing at the dome last winter. It was posted. The signs read as if the monster truck company did it. Who knows. Wife and I carried w/o any problem. We also took the metro transit to the dome from Bloomington. No worries.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.