Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:30 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Signs removed at Mayo Clinic 
 Post subject: Signs removed at Mayo Clinic
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:25 pm 

It appears that all the no-guns signs have been removed at Mayo Clinic in Rochester, with the exception of a building that they lease.

Post subject: Re: Signs removed at Mayo Clinic
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:52 pm 
1911 tainted

dismal wrote:
It appears that all the no-guns signs have been removed at Mayo Clinic in Rochester, with the exception of a building that they lease.

Which building would that be?

I have been going in and out of a building for a few years that Mayo leases and I have never seen any posting at that building, at least that I am aware of. I am just curious as to which building you refer to. :)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Signs removed at Mayo Clinic
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:19 pm 

cobb wrote:
Which building would that be?

I have been going in and out of a building for a few years that Mayo leases and I have never seen any posting at that building, at least that I am aware of. I am just curious as to which building you refer to. :)

Lanmark Center

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:30 am 
Longtime Regular

I was at Mayo for a cancer check-up on Dec. 19 , parked in the Damon ramp and noticed the signs were down there too. I checked all the doors in the ramp on the way out and none were there. There had been signs up two months before in these areas. I wanted to, but didn't check the other doors in the Mayo or Gonda buildings.

There were signs up before. None now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:32 am 
Longtime Regular

I was there today and forgot to look for the signs. I was going to carry anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:17 am 
Longtime Regular

Any change if one is seeing a doctor and you get to wear The Robe?

Post subject: Mayo signs
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:31 pm 
Journeyman Member

I have a feeling Mayo will exercise its' right to ask anyone to leave under the MN Trespass law if needed, and that includes permit holders who do not carry concealed. In addition, if you have a medical appt and if you even remotely expect to disrobe I would not carry. The folks at the upper echelon of Mayo are liberal thinkers and would not hesitate to have Mayo Security politely invoke MN Trespass if, in their opinion, permit holders are not discreet. I think it's great the signs are down but it is up to us to see that they stay down. Our actions and their experience with us will be the determining factor. A great plus for them is the fact that they no longer have those ugly signs cluttering up millions of dollars of architecture and landscaping that are so important to their esthetics. It's great their signs are down and I, for one, appreciate their consideration in taking them down.

Post subject: Re: Mayo signs
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:02 am 
Longtime Regular

wamps wrote:
I have a feeling Mayo will exercise its' right to ask anyone to leave under the MN Trespass law if needed, and that includes permit holders who do not carry concealed. In addition, if you have a medical appt and if you even remotely expect to disrobe I would not carry. The folks at the upper echelon of Mayo are liberal thinkers and would not hesitate to have Mayo Security politely invoke MN Trespass if, in their opinion, permit holders are not discreet. I think it's great the signs are down but it is up to us to see that they stay down. Our actions and their experience with us will be the determining factor. A great plus for them is the fact that they no longer have those ugly signs cluttering up millions of dollars of architecture and landscaping that are so important to their esthetics. It's great their signs are down and I, for one, appreciate their consideration in taking them down.

I think anyone who carrys in a place like Mayo should be discreet. That being said, I would rather have my firearm well concealed on my person than left in my vehicle, unless there was a chance that I would have to remove my clothing for an appointment.

Post subject: Re: Mayo signs
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:09 am 
Journeyman Member

sigman wrote:
wamps wrote:

I think anyone who carrys in a place like Mayo should be discreet. That being said, I would rather have my firearm well concealed on my person than left in my vehicle, unless there was a chance that I would have to remove my clothing for an appointment.

+1 :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:02 am 
Longtime Regular

I would imagine Mayo received lots of flak from out of staters, who used to ask in wonderment about all the gun signs in Minnesota. Too, the wealthiest people from all over the world frequent Mayo, and they usually travel with discreet security guards who need to be armed. I bet Mayo never had an issue with any guns but had thousands of inquiries about the signs.

My relatives from ND used to tease me about MN's crazy new law, and I couldn't convince them that ND already had a "shall issue" law for years. Because of the signs they thought MN was more dangerous.

They signs did actually advertise the law; I got my permit immediately, but if I had not, I think the signs would have reminded me every day that I needed to get my permit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:48 am 
Longtime Regular

I wonder if the Mayo told Pres. Ford's Secret Service to disarm?

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:34 am 

If so I wonder what the SS told Mayo to go do?? :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:35 am 
Longtime Regular

Are we forgetting that the Secret Service is a Federal LE organization and as such, most firearm laws exempt them any way?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:12 am 
Longtime Regular

plblark wrote:
Are we forgetting that the Secret Service is a Federal LE organization and as such, most firearm laws exempt them any way?

The signs don't apply to Minnesota LEO's either. People without permits cannot carry in a public place, so the signs only apply to permit holders that choose to obey the signs.

Maybe some smart lawyer finally figured that out and told them it was a waste of resources to manage signs and handle inquiries. I bet the signs scared people. To somebody from Europe, it must have seemed like Dodge City in movies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:18 am 
Longtime Regular

Dick Unger wrote:
plblark wrote:

The signs don't apply to Minnesota LEO's either. People without permits cannot carry in a public place, so the signs only apply to permit holders that choose to obey the signs.

That's what I get for being too specific I guess. I'll just bet you that Secret Service Agents have much broader exemptions than even MN LEO's in these situations. Perhaps I'm wrong but It's a suspicion I have that there are more exemptions for Fed LEO's than state LEO's. Maybe they don't apply here but you get the drift.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.