Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:35 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Ex-Bank Teller Sues KeyBank After Being Robbed at Gunpoint 3 
 Post subject: Ex-Bank Teller Sues KeyBank After Being Robbed at Gunpoint 3
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:38 pm 
Longtime Regular

Ex-Bank Teller Sues KeyBank After Being Robbed at Gunpoint 3 Times
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,258306,00.html
Monday, March 12, 2007

AKRON, Ohio — A former bank teller who quit her job after being robbed at gunpoint three times has sued her employer, claiming bank officials were negligent, her lawyer said.

Adrienne Griffin of Akron filed a lawsuit in Summit County Common Pleas Court last week. She claims officials at KeyBank were negligent for failing to bring in guards after the branch where she worked was robbed four times from 2002 to 2006.

Griffin quit after she was robbed at gunpoint for a third time on July 28, said her lawyer, Michael Stevens. After that robbery, a guard was posted, but only for a month, he said.

Griffin wasn't hurt in the robberies, Stevens said, but she suffered "severe emotional distress" that required medical treatment and resulted in loss of employment, according to the lawsuit. She had worked at the bank branch since 1992.

The lawsuit seeks at least $25,000 for each of three negligence claims related to the three robberies.

Michael Sherman, a vice president at parent company KeyCorp's Cleveland headquarters, said he couldn't comment on lawsuits, but said the company's highest priority is employee safety.
COMMENTARY added by hammar:

Maybe, just maybe, this could be the beginnings of a precedent of a company being held responsible for an individuals safety. You deny self protection on company property or you post, something happens, and you get sued........Turn around is fair play....... :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:01 pm 
Longtime Regular

Another BS lawsuit. If she stays there thru 3 robberies, it's her fault.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:33 pm 
Longtime Regular

No, I don't think it's BS. If a mere employee should have known that more robberies were likely, the employer certainly should have, and was thus not exercising reasonable care in protecting the safety of his employees.

JimC wrote:
Another BS lawsuit. If she stays there thru 3 robberies, it's her fault.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:47 pm 
Longtime Regular

Take responsibility for your actions- I guess it's a thing of the past

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:27 pm 
Longtime Regular

JimC wrote:

If she'd quit, the bank would have hired someone else, who'd still have been at risk.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:58 pm 

JimC wrote:

the problem being...if she got her Permit, and couldn't carry at work...She took the appropriate action, but couldn't do anything about it.

Why should she have to give up her livlyhood because some penny pinching punk wouldn't allow the bank to hire a security guard?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:28 am 
Longtime Regular

When I was growing up, the local bank ALWAYS had a guard inside. It was a small town and I don't recall hearing of any robberies.

JimC, I think you're out of line. Had she been somehow complicit in the robberies, then maybe I could see your cynicism. Why should anyone have to give up their job because of some potential of criminal activity?? IMHO, it seems that the bank could have done something pro-active after the second robbery.

I'm with HammAR on this one. I HOPE this establishes a precedent for employees being able to protect themselves. I'd rather have seen it been a customer and the bank was posted or state law for that state bans guns in banks. Regardless, employers should bear some responsibility for the protection of their employees. Ever try to collect a delinquent cable bill?? :shock:

"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." [...a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand.] -- (Lucius Annaeus) Seneca "the Younger" (ca. 4 BC-65 AD),

The Nanny State MUST DIE!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:13 am 
Designated waste of protoplasm

Allright

I am tired of the blame game here - this is my $0.02 worth

If you are a bank teller there is an ASSUMED RISK that there will be a robbery at some time - bank robbery is the second oldest profession afterall.

If you dont want to work in that environment - and don't think that you can take that kind of stress - DONT WORK THERE. my g-d didn't she see "Point Break"? :twisted:

Find a nice safe job like being a chasier at a convienience store or somehting. :shock:

___

When you get out of bed in the morning you are taking a risk. I think that this cashiers lawsuit is valid if it prevents another robbery - by the bank taking some action. BUT her staying there through three robberies - come on now emotional distress is a bunch of horse hockey.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:29 am 

The inlaws went to Costa Rica to visit an exchange students family ten years ago. They went to the local hillbilly bank and my then 15 year old brother-in-law saw an armed guard with auto rifle in the lobby. Noticing his concern my Father-in-law didn't miss a beat... "No FDIC"

"I disagree with what you say, but I would fight to the death for your right to say it." Voltaire

"I may not be allowed to eat the apples any more, but strolling through the orchard is certainly pleasant." Chunkstyle

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:37 am 
Longtime Regular

Pinnacle wrote:
my g-d didn't she see "Point Break"? :twisted:

Or "Dog Day Afternoon"?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:17 am 
Longtime Regular

Tex wrote:
The inlaws went to Costa Rica to visit an exchange students family ten years ago. They went to the local hillbilly bank and my then 15 year old brother-in-law saw an armed guard with auto rifle in the lobby. Noticing his concern my Father-in-law didn't miss a beat... "No FDIC"

I would guess that the guy with the rifle was mostly for a "show of force". I would also guess that a few employees were armed also.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:50 pm 
Longtime Regular

I hope she wins! :D

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:31 pm 

they should have posted that they ban guns
DUH!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:46 pm 
Longtime Regular

[quote="Apdl"]
Not picking on you Apdl, just frustrated with some of the attitudes and comments..........having a bad day and need to punch paper :lol:

Apdl - you might of missed this part, I knew that your comment was a joke. It was solely aimed (forgive the pun, I've been shooting) at others.... :D

But if you find someone to, wait Social Services don't they provide tax paid services a supplies to the disadvantaged? Would out of ammunition meet the requirements for disadvantaged...........HELP, I'm ammunition challenged..

Last edited by hammAR on Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:56 pm 

wowzer it was a joke lol
saying that if they would have posted it wouold have never happend b/c the BG would have been like "damz son i best leave mah gat in mah car"
we all need to punch some paper it sould be a manditory thing like the 2 hour lunch break in france only it would be the 2 hour lunch break where one hour was required by law to be spent at the gun range

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.