Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:54 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Minneapolis VA Medical Center 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:31 pm 

cobb wrote:
Also, if the veterans that got prosecuted did not have a carry permit, well the law is black and white in that case.

Unfortunately, federal law would trump any permit laws.. I used to work in a government facility and they were very very very up front with the fact its against federal law to have a gun in your car/on your person/anywhere on the property.

My Homebrew journal http://brew.goalie.cx

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:24 pm 
Longtime Regular

They can be as "up front" as they want.

The Minnesota permit is significant, under federal law.

Quote:
(d) Subsection (a) shall not apply to...the lawful carrying of firearms or other dangerous weapons in a Federal facility incident to hunting or other lawful purposes.

The Minnesota permit is pretty clearly a presumptive "lawful purpose."

gaygoalie wrote:
cobb wrote:
Also, if the veterans that got prosecuted did not have a carry permit, well the law is black and white in that case.

Unfortunately, federal law would trump any permit laws.. I used to work in a government facility and they were very very very up front with the fact its against federal law to have a gun in your car/on your person/anywhere on the property.
Quote:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:39 pm 
Longtime Regular

Volunteering for the test case Andrew. And if you are stuck in the klink, we'll argue about your guilt here on the forum :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:41 pm 
Longtime Regular

A Brit in MN wrote:
Volunteering for the test case Andrew. And if you are stuck in the klink, we'll argue about your guilt here on the forum :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:) Good one Brit :)

"The attitude of people associating guns with nothing but crime, that is what has to be changed. I grew up at a time when people were not afraid of people with firearms." —Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia
Sierra Trading - Firearms Sales, Service and Training

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:47 pm 
Longtime Regular

KonaSeven wrote:
A Brit in MN wrote:

\
And Pat and Pinnacle will be the only ones to defend him, the rest of us will erect the gallows :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:07 pm 

A Brit in MN wrote:
KonaSeven wrote:
A Brit in MN wrote:

\
And Pat and Pinnacle will be the only ones to defend him, the rest of us will erect the gallows :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Who's bringing the rope?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:34 pm 

cobb wrote:
That picture of the VA is old. I had to wait for 3 different trains before the light gave me a green arrow to go over the tracks into the VA today. They are one of my customers and am on site there ever week or so.

Tell me about it! My girlfriend works there and it's quite a hassle if I'm carrying and don't want to "break the law". I'm interested in reading about section (d) though.

If it helps any... Try crossing over the tracks on 54th street instead of trying to turn left at the light. It goes a lot faster.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:05 pm 

If you want to discuss the issue, I'd contact the VAPD at their offices in person and have a nice chat.

Some years ago, under quite different circumstances, they were quite accommodating and allowed me to secure the hardware in their shop as it was inappropriate to carry the parts I had to go. I seem to recall they had some misgivings about being unarmed themselves.

Perhaps Erik can elaborate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:11 pm 

Andrew Rothman wrote:

I don't know if the VA hospital, or even if all federal installations, are covered under the "post office law" Military bases/VA hospitals may be covered by a tighter law. That would be something to ask the VA security folks.

My Homebrew journal http://brew.goalie.cx

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:21 am 
Longtime Regular

I'm fairly good friends with the Mpls VA Chief of Police, we work quite closely in a volunteer capacity on a weekly basis.

I'll try to remember to ask him when I see him this week.

-Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:18 am 
Longtime Regular

gaygoalie wrote:
Andrew Rothman wrote:

I don't know if the VA hospital, or even if all federal installations, are covered under the "post office law" Military bases/VA hospitals may be covered by a tighter law. That would be something to ask the VA security folks.

Well, it's not the "Post Office Law." It's Chapter 44 of US Code, "Sec. 930. Possession of firearms and dangerous weapons in Federal facilities."

And I suppose one could ask the VA police what they would do if a permit holder carried there, and if they said arrest, I'd ask them on what basis.

But even that would not convince me that they were right -- only of their intentions, and their understanding of the law.

Last edited by Andrew Rothman on Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:44 am 
Longtime Regular

e5usmc wrote:
I'll try to remember to ask him when I see him this week.

Go to this site and print it.

Highlight subsection (d)(3) with a yellow marker. Show it to him and ask what "other lawful purposes" means with respect to a permit to carry obtained under Minnesota law.

Tell him one of your pain in the ass friends put you up to it.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:52 am 
Longtime Regular

DeanC wrote:

Great, now I have to decide which one of you to blame...

-Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:57 am 
Longtime Regular

Heh, I just re-read subsection (h) which is the Federal posting requirement.

Basically, it reads (to me) that they need a sign at each public entrance that reads:
Quote:
"Whoever knowingly possesses or causes to be present a firearm or other dangerous weapon in this Federal facility, or attempts to do so, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than 1 year, or both"

The sign "shall be posted conspicuously at each public entrance to each Federal facility... and no person shall be convicted of an offense... if such notice is not so posted at such facility"

No conspicuous sign, no conviction. You might get arrested and go through a rectal exam, but no conviction. You go first, I'll stand here and watch. :wink:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:07 pm 

e5usmc wrote:
DeanC wrote:

Great, now I have to decide which one of you to blame...

Blame me. It's popular elsewhere.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.