Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:50 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 North Regional Library, Minneapolis 
 Post subject: North Regional Library, Minneapolis
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 6:58 am 
Raving Moderate

Just noticed yesterday that North Regional Library in Minneapolis (corner of Lowry and Fremont in North Minneapolis) now has the standard non-compliant (not that they could be compliant in this case) "Hennepin County Bans Dangerous Weapons On These Premises" sign. My weapon is not dangerous, so I went in and returned my books. :)

I assume HC is going to "post" all Minneapolis libraries now that they've been assimilated... :roll:

My real name is Jeremiah (go figure). ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 7:28 am 
Longtime Regular

I wish we had some sort of affordable recourse for crap like this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 10:03 pm 

Its a non compliant sign, but they know its non compliant..

If you look at the bottom, it mentions that permit holders are not covered by the sign. This is because of some actions of people on here against the county.

My Homebrew journal http://brew.goalie.cx

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 7:47 am 
Longtime Regular

That just it. It isn't compliant, it isn't legal, and it does nothing but attempt to prevent legal CCW's from carrying there.
Not only that, but it gives other vistors (who have a worse understanding on the posting laws than the avg CCW) the impression that anyone they see with a gun on the premises is a "bad guy" and that should should be in fear or call 911.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 8:00 am 
Raving Moderate

gaygoalie wrote:
Its a non compliant sign, but they know its non compliant..

If you look at the bottom, it mentions that permit holders are not covered by the sign. This is because of some actions of people on here against the county.

Actually, it doesn't mention permits or anything other than "dangerous weapons", unless it's in microprint somewhere.

The issue isn't the sign really (and I both remember and thank the guys who got the signs changed)- it's the principle of the County deciding to try to circumvent State law that's annoying... </rant> :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 8:02 am 
Longtime Regular

Which sign do they have up? This one?

Or this one?

The fine print:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 8:03 am 
Longtime Regular

Looks like they put them up with velcro. They must be expecting to be forced to take them down.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 11:05 am 

SultanOfBrunei wrote:
I wish we had some sort of affordable recourse for crap like this.

Unless it has the disclaimer at the bottom specifically allowing permit holders to carry, it isn't an issue of being non-comliant. It is illegal.

Unless their is a court in the facility, and they are claiming that judge Burke's order is in effect, then it is illegal for the county to try to limit carrying there.

In that case you should be free to do a Reaver, open carry in the library, and force the issue.

I spoke at length on the phone with the guy hired to do security for Hennepin County (as a direct result of Reavers run in at the Edina library), I believe his name is Hunter. He was either: very dumb, willfully ignorant, or had an agenda he was not willing to come out with.

My complaint at that time was that the signs on the Southdale library (which has a court house next door) did not mention that they were banning guns per a court order, just that they were banned. They are in effect a trap, for a permit holder who thinks "this sign doesn't apply to me". I asked him repeatedly to post either the sign that allowed permit holders (the one I think is legally proper) or the sign that cites the court order (which I think is illegal at Southdale, because the court is in a seperate building, but would at least warn permit holders that the county would attempt to consider them in violation of the court order).

He flat out refused to do this, saying it was for the county Attorney to do. He also speculated that the wrong sign was very likely not put up on purpose, but was just the fault of a typically incompetent county employee.

I observed (to myself) that is was rather ironic to have a county employee refusing to do his job, who then referred to other county employees as being incompetent. :P

Bottom line... call the library and complain. Don't let them deter you with lame excuses. Continue to pursue it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 2:57 pm 
Raving Moderate

DeanC wrote:
Which sign do they have up?

Or this one?

That one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 8:45 pm 
Longtime Regular

Jeremiah wrote:
DeanC wrote:
Which sign do they have up?

Or this one?

That one.

Then they are in violation of the law. There is no court facility in that building either, so that fallacious court order doesn't apply either.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.