Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:14 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
 Are you signing off on your own renewal? 

Are you going to sign off on your own renewal ?
yes  21%  21%  [ 5 ]
no  63%  63%  [ 15 ]
undecided  17%  17%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 24

Are you signing off on your own renewal? 
 Post subject: Are you signing off on your own renewal?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:21 am 
Delicate Flower

My permit is due for renewal this summer and I would rather not sign off on my own. While it would be within the parameters of the statute (I believe) I think it would be tacky.

We have talked about instructor meetings/seminars in the past which have not happened. I think this would be a perfect opportunity for a seminar/training. See what others are doing and be able to share your expertise.

My Thoughts:
1 day seminar where each instructor would bring whatever materials they would like to share.
Each Instructor would bring 1-2 blank certificates to sign off on another instructor.
The agenda would be 3 part following the statute. (safe use/shooting/legal). A moderator for each segment to ensure discussion moved along and stayed within the subject & time frames.
This would not be new instructor training.........existing MCPPA certified instructors only.

I would offer the following
1.Coordinate event
2. Supply facility (OGC)
3. Cost would be classroom/range fee of 25.00 payable to OGC
4. Seminar date of Sun Apr 20th. I have the facility reserved for a carry class but will switch if enough are interested.

Thoughts ??

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:41 am 
Longtime Regular

As we have two instructors in the family, we were thinking of signing off on each other.

Does anyone see any problems with that?

UT BCI Certified Conceal/Carry Instructor

"If you expect the police to always be able to protect you, why are the ones who show up at crimes called 'detectives' instead of 'defenders'? Detectives try to find a criminal after they've committed a crime."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:49 am 
The Man

Selurcspi wrote:
As we have two instructors in the family, we were thinking of signing off on each other.

Does anyone see any problems with that?
I do. I don't think it's unethical, or unlawful, as long as you each sit through each other's class, as I'm sure you would -- but I do think it looks kinda sketchy.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:15 am 
Longtime Regular

I'm not prepared to sign off on any student who has not gotten a complete, cohesive carry class, which covers everything I cover in mine.

While I think we could learn a ton from each other at such an event, its ad-hoc nature doesn't make for that cohesive whole.

I'd suggest, as an alternative, that instructors pair up with an instructor, and sit through each others' class. That's what I plan to do.

Post subject: Orthogonally . . .
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:36 am 
The Man

. . . I've been thinking about doing an instructors-only refresher class, both so folks who want to could get signed off on, and to go over in some detail not just what I do -- and don't do -- in TCCarry, but why I do and don't do it, and why stuff appears where it appears in the presentation.

I don't claim that I have the only way to do things, or the only good way to do things -- but I do think that I do have a good way to do this stuff, and that while some of it is dependent on my own experiences and skillset, some of it, I think, would translate well for others.

I'm not sure about the pricing, but there would be pricing; taking a day off to do this is a day that I can't do other stuff, including teaching a carry class, and while I think, on balance, that if it improves the quality of instruction that's a good thing, part of me is of the opinion that there's some costs to improving my competitors' instruction.

If you're interested, email me, and if there's enough interest -- and I'm talking "interest" not commitments -- I'll figure out if it might be worth doing.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:59 am 
Longtime Regular

Being a newer instructor (only having done 3 classes and 30 students) I have been considering attending other more seasoned instructors classes as a student. I am sure it would be worth effort. My biggest obstacle is the distance I must travel. I hope to do this soon. My class has been evolving and getting better every time IMO. I think attending other instructor's classes would be a great help to me.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Are you signing off on your own renewal?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:07 pm 
Longtime Regular

ttousi wrote:
My permit is due for renewal this summer and I would rather not sign off on my own. While it would be within the parameters of the statute (I believe) I think it would be tacky.

We have talked about instructor meetings/seminars in the past which have not happened. I think this would be a perfect opportunity for a seminar/training. See what others are doing and be able to share your expertise.

My Thoughts:
1 day seminar where each instructor would bring whatever materials they would like to share.
Each Instructor would bring 1-2 blank certificates to sign off on another instructor.
The agenda would be 3 part following the statute. (safe use/shooting/legal). A moderator for each segment to ensure discussion moved along and stayed within the subject & time frames.
This would not be new instructor training.........existing MCPPA certified instructors only.

I would offer the following
1.Coordinate event
2. Supply facility (OGC)
3. Cost would be classroom/range fee of 25.00 payable to OGC
4. Seminar date of Sun Apr 20th. I have the facility reserved for a carry class but will switch if enough are interested.

Thoughts ??

I like the idea. I also agree with Andrew. The continuity would not flow as well as a carry class with one lead instructor. I still think it would be worth it to have a MN Carry Permit Instructors Conference. To share ideas, teaching aids, and techniques.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:46 pm 
1911 tainted

Some of my classes have been getting a little large lately and thought of getting an instructor to sit in and maybe help with one of my classes, especially on the range. I would have zero problem signing off then, they did go through my class and I could maybe get some help and/or objective criticism. 8)

I do have one instructor volunteer to help with the class that I am going to give to the local conservation club, but that is only one of the 3 that I could use some help with.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:49 pm 
The Man

cobb wrote:
Some of my classes have been getting a little large lately and thought of getting an instructor to sit in and maybe help with one of my classes, especially on the range. I would have zero problem signing off then, they did go through my class and I could maybe get some help and/or objective criticism. 8)
Me, neither. In fact, I've got another instructor doing just that this weekend, both to renew his own permit and to help with the quals.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:24 am 
Delicate Flower

Cancel............I withdraw the offer

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Permit sign-off
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:34 pm 
Journeyman Member

I don't sign my own permit renewal nor do I sign-off my wife's permit renewal. It's just my personal ethics and does not affect my opinion of any other Instructor's opinions or actions. I think that it's worth my money to take a renewal class from another instructor as I always learn something new or a different perspective on a subject.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.