Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:16 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 Sept Steel Shoot 
 Post subject: Sept Steel Shoot
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:52 pm 
Longtime Regular

Saturday 9/20 is the penultimate Steel Shoot for the year, setup at 8:30, shooting starts at 9:30!

Truck owners please bring one if you can, it makes setup and tear down so much easier.

Everyone's welcome!

See you there
:D :D :D :D :D

UT BCI Certified Conceal/Carry Instructor

"If you expect the police to always be able to protect you, why are the ones who show up at crimes called 'detectives' instead of 'defenders'? Detectives try to find a criminal after they've committed a crime."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:53 pm 
Longtime Regular

Selurcspi, you are awesome because you not only organize these excellent events and spread your knowledge & wisdom among the unwashed multitudes, but you actually know the definition of 'penultimate'.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:40 pm 
Longtime Regular

I had to look it up! :shock:

I will be there this time. If anyone needs a holster, I have a big inventory due to the St Paul gun show on 9/27-28 that I'm going to.

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:09 am 

The gun show is in Hutchinson on the 20/21 as well. I'm going to the show; may stop out to Gopher afterward. Is it in the same place as ~8-9 years ago?

And, how late will this event go? I won't be leaving the gun show 'til after noon.

jb

John Farnam (I believe)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:01 am 
Longtime Regular

Can I ask some nube questions? (o.k., that's one)

2. What gun do I need?

3. How many fast reloads do I need? (isn't it a timed event?)

4. Do I need a holster, and does it have to draw from a specific place (like no appendix, no shoulder, etc.)?

5. Is there anything I need to know that I didn't ask?

Sorry for the dumbness, but I can't find info/explanation about how steel shoots work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:12 am 
Longtime Regular

I usually shoot with my carry gun.

I'd bring as many mags as you have for the gun. I'd have min of 4 loaded for each stage. worst case, if there's someone willing, you could drop / throw your mags back and behind you when done with them and someone behind the SO could reload them and hand them to you for the next iteration of a stage. I've done that for several people their first time.

you can shoot all stages except the man v man starting from low ready.
Man v Man involves running, then drawing while in the box

All the holsters I've seen were Strong side. Most of them were OWB. I'd want to stay simple, slow, smooth, and sure ... speed and confidence will come with practice.

Sunscreen, water, a hat, extra ammo, an extra gun if you have it just in case your primary breaks down. Eyes and ears.

most stages do not require a reload unless you run the gun dry. there MAY be a reload stage though, I don't know the course of fire. The Man v Man has a mandatory reload before the final stop popper.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:21 am 
Longtime Regular

bensdad wrote:
Can I ask some nube questions? (o.k., that's one)

2. What gun do I need?

A carry gun 9mm-ish or bigger

3. How many fast reloads do I need? (isn't it a timed event?)

You may need reloads depending on how many shots it takes you to hit 5 steel plates. The man v man needs reloads 2 mags is sufficient

4. Do I need a holster, and does it have to draw from a specific place (like no appendix, no shoulder, etc.)?

No holster needed, but most use their carry holster,

5. Is there anything I need to know that I didn't ask?

How much ammo (minimum 100, bring more)
Cost $10

Sorry for the dumbness, but I can't find info/explanation about how steel shoots work.

"If you expect the police to always be able to protect you, why are the ones who show up at crimes called 'detectives' instead of 'defenders'? Detectives try to find a criminal after they've committed a crime."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:51 pm 
Longtime Regular

Thanks guys. So, can I just show up with $10 and a learning attitude? If so, I'll see ya in the morning.

I have a 40 cal with 2 10 rd. mags, and a 45 with 3 six rd. mags. I'll bring both and use which ever Selurcspi recommends.

Is this a "do not carry into the event" thing? Again, sorry for the nube/dumb questions, just don't want to screw up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:24 pm 
Longtime Regular

bensdad wrote:
Thanks guys. So, can I just show up with $10 and a learning attitude? If so, I'll see ya in the morning.

I have a 40 cal with 2 10 rd. mags, and a 45 with 3 six rd. mags. I'll bring both and use which ever Selurcspi recommends.

Is this a "do not carry into the event" thing? Again, sorry for the nube/dumb questions, just don't want to screw up.

Is it your right to carry?

Then Carry (and strictly speaking, you don't need a permit)
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

On the rangeif your carry gun is out of the way and not being used for the shoot, you can carry. If you use it for the shoot, it's a cold range!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:58 pm 
Longtime Regular

Pat Cannon wrote:
Selurcspi, you are awesome because you not only organize these excellent events and spread your knowledge & wisdom among the unwashed multitudes, but you actually know the definition of 'penultimate'.

Holy smokes, I had to use The Google for that one. Second-to-last, of course. :oops:

Looking forward to meeting you, bensdad.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.