Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:58 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
 Anyone who wants to help teh GOP/RNC ? 
 Post subject: Anyone who wants to help teh GOP/RNC ?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:17 pm 

Hello, if anyone is in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area and would like to volunteer to do some phone banking/door knocking/sign posting for McCain and the Local GOP candidates I have plenty of opportunities.
Please contact me via PM or e-mail.

This is going to be a tight race in Minnesota and we need all the help we can get!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:03 pm 

You can put a sign in my front yard, anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:21 pm 

I could put a sign or two in my yard. would have to be the smaller ones as it is a townhouse complex. Scheduling pick up or delivery could be complicated though.

I'd for sure put a McCain/Palin sign out. Maybe a Coleman too, otherwise not too sure who the others are.

Minneapolis Police/Fire Dispatcher

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:20 pm 

We have signs available, we are asking that people sign up for 2 GOTV phone or door shifts to get one.

We have lots and lots of people who want signs, but not very many people who are willing to do anything for them though. Signs do not win elections (There is no way that an obama supporter is going to change their mind, or a non-reliable voter is going to suddenly decide that they really should vote just by seeing a sign)

What does win elections is by having people take an active role in the campaign and either knock doors or make voter advocacy calls.

If a person is contacted 3-4 times in the 10 days prior to an election and then 2 times in the 72 hours before the election there is a 3.5-4 % increase at the polls.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:21 pm 
Longtime Regular

To win elections it is also helpful to run conservative, smaller government, candidates that will follow the party's platform. In doing so the base and grassroots of the party gets energized and work hard for their candidates. Do we have any candidates like that one the national level in MN? I know of a couple and have shared the good word them in my sphere of influence.

Oh by the way, Welcome to the tcc forum. :D

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:28 am 

Dac1915 wrote:
We have signs available, we are asking that people sign up for 2 GOTV phone or door shifts to get one.

I see - quid pro quo.

Dac1915 wrote:
We have lots and lots of people who want signs, but not very many people who are willing to do anything for them though. Signs do not win elections (There is no way that an obama supporter is going to change their mind, or a non-reliable voter is going to suddenly decide that they really should vote just by seeing a sign)

I certainly see and understand your position here, but there seems to be disregard for the many people that aren't able to "do" anything for them for many reasons, a big one for me being my work schedule. I realize there is a cost for producing them, but my hunch is that if a party can raise money like Obama has been raising money, they can afford the production of the signs promoting them.

That's a key aspect of what is wrong in America today; everything is quid pro quo.

Quote:
What does win elections is by having people take an active role in the campaign and either knock doors or make voter advocacy calls.

I'm a fairly simple man, and have no idea statistically if this is true or not. What I do know is that such people as you describe aren't privileged enough to infiltrate my day. I don't have time for them.

Quote:
If a person is contacted 3-4 times in the 10 days prior to an election and then 2 times in the 72 hours before the election there is a 3.5-4 % increase at the polls.

As I said above, I don't have a clue if this is accurate, so I'll take your word on it. That said, unless it's the candidate I want in office, calling me a half dozen times or more isn't going to sway my choice, it's going to piss me off. If it is the candidate I want that does so, while I don't think it likely to change my vote, it certainly will result in my sending a letter to said party and candidate strongly showing my disdain for such practices. I don't think I'm alone in that feeling either.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:45 am 

I think it's reasonable of a campaign (either side) to request a donation of volunteer time or money in exchange for signs.

1. If you're looking for a sign it means you're probably a committed to the candidate. You aren't likely to go vote for the other guy just because you have to pay/work to get the sign. It's a way to encourage just a little bit more investment in something you already support.

2. It keeps people from "the other side" from coming in, asking for a sign, walking out with one, and then putting it in the trash at home. I'm sure no one here would do something so childish, but there are plenty of incidents of sign theft/vandalism in the news that justify a little caution.

Dac1915: if you want folks to e-mail you it helps if you provide an e-mail address. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:37 pm 

Lawyer_in_Training wrote:
You aren't likely to go vote for the other guy just because you have to pay/work to get the sign.

Nope. It just means I won't have a sign. That's the flip side to the coin. I'm not paying someone for something when they will be getting my vote anyway.

For those that come door to door, my door closes just as easily as it opens.

For those that call, the end button works just as well as the send button.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: All hands on deck..GOTV Urgent, help needed now
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:33 pm 

Quote:
First of all we want to clarify the polling that is going on that is being broadcasted by the media... It sounds very scary and that we are way behind, however in actuality we are neck and neck with our opposition amongst likely voters and whoever turns the votes, is going to win.... We have many races to close to call and because we lack polling for certain races, they can't be called at all... It is dependent on us who care deeply and understand what a Franken or Obama winning would mean to our way of life, to sacrifice some time to assure a victory on election day...

There are four [4] call centers set up in our Third Congressional District. One in Maple Grove, one in Long Lake, one in Blaine and one in Eden Prairie... The Office in Eden Prairie is at: 6870 Washington Ave.
South ..this office is open from 9 A.M. to 9 P.M. right now. There is a variety of calling being done there now but I am hoping to get some volunteers starting the 30th of October to the 4th of November for the big push of calling right before the election. It is easier to assess how many callers we need when we schedule three hour shifts, but if this doesn't fit your schedule, you can call at your convenience any of the hours they are open... These are easy calls and even messages can be left on message machines...

We desperately need your help fill 275 three hours shifts to complete our assigned quota's for our Senate District and elect everyone from our local candidates to John McCain..

Can you please contact me back with the hours you would like to call...
and please consider doing 2 to 3 three hour shifts or more... We can't do it without everyone pitching in as there are so many calls that must be placed to do the kind of job all our candidates deserve...
If you want the location of other phone bank locations in our Third District please contact me and I will put you in touch with the right person...
WE URGENTLY NEED YOUR HELP NOW TO WIN IN NOVEMBER.... You also may know of others who are concerned about the upcoming election... friends, family or neighbors... We are very fortunate to have these phone banks spread around our District and we need to fill them up with volunteers who care about this County and our future as a Nation...

I thank you from the bottom of my heart..... please let me know if you can help and how many shifts you would like to take.... also high school students are great at calling and a letter stating their community involvement can be supplied for them...

Thanks again,
angie erhard

You may have seen Angie on the news during the RNC, the local TV news interviewed her a number of times.

If you'd like to help, here's your chance :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:20 pm 

What I've heard (well, read. online. probably some commie anti-American website) was that "campaigns" love volunteers and hate lawn signs.

They understand the importance of the lawn sign, but those people/efforts take up their valuable time and money, whereas having someone volunteer their time and effort is the more valuable asset.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:31 pm 
Longtime Regular

ma-gaga wrote:
What I've heard (well, read. online. probably some commie anti-American website) was that "campaigns" love volunteers and hate lawn signs.

They understand the importance of the lawn sign, but those people/efforts take up their valuable time and money, whereas having someone volunteer their time and effort is the more valuable asset.

For lower level offices, signs are a staple. Name-recognition and resources are low, so signs are your best friend.

For Congressmen or high, it's more of a voter ID method than anything else.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.