Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:31 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 Guy Expo 
 Post subject: Guy Expo
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:14 am 

this could be as interesting as a gun show but no promises since I haven't gone yet
http://www.twincities.com/news/ci_13019370?source=rss&nclick_check=1
Quote:
New expo aims to offer everything a guy wants
By Richard Chin
Updated: 08/08/2009 12:16:06 AM CDT

Browse more photo galleries » Watch video »

If boys are made of snips and snails and puppy-dog tails, then guys are made of beer, pro sports and açai berry juice blends.

At least that's the worldview you'd get from the Guy Expo, a new show that opened Friday at the St. Paul RiverCentre with a grab bag of man-centric vendors and exhibitors showing off everything from power tools to batting cages to nutritional supplements.

"Everything for guys under one roof" is how Shawna Suckow, an Eagan event and trade show planner who came up with the Guy Expo concept, explained it.

"One of my team members said, 'Beer,' and it evolved from there," she said. "I looked at my husband and my brother and dad, and I said, 'What would they like?' "

The answer included a chicken-wing-eating contest, a beer-can-stacking contest and a chance to win a year's supply of beer.

"There's no pole dancing," Suckow said. But she didn't ignore the obvious, either. She's putting on a contest for Miss Guy Expo, where women have to wear a tool belt, tell a joke and slam a beer.

"They have to bring a joke. We bring the tool belt and beer," said Erin Mathe, a spokeswoman for the show.

On our tour of the event, we eyed racecars, motorcycles, electronic gadgets and barbecue grills. But we also asked: What do guys like?

First stop, the "Lowe's Tricked-Out Garage," built by Kevin Breeggemann Design construction company.

"Almost everything here is something you'd buy if your wife wasn't along," Breeggemann told us. "The airplane.
Advertisement
There's an airplane over there."

Then we approached a couple of women in tight dresses.

"We are the official ad agency of chromosome Y," said Paloma Pardini of Pocket Knife, the name of the company on the business card she was handing out. "It's an agency dedicated to clients who are men."

She was stumped with our first question. "My title?"

How about spokesmodel?

"Yeah, I think so."

But she knew what guys like.

"I think a guy likes everything. I think he likes security. If he's a family guy, he likes security," she said. "Guys like everything women like. Just in a different way."

No one was at the booth for the National Coalition for Men, but we gathered from the literature there that guys don't like male domestic abuse or circumcision.

Army Sgt. 1st Class Jeff Elmer brought a couple of Humvees to the expo in an effort to recruit a few good guys.

Guys, the sergeant said, like adventure, blowing things up, kicking in doors — all opportunities the Army is in a good position to provide.

Finally, a stop at the cage-fighting arena, where Joey Clark, co-owner of the Eagan-based Ambition mixed martial arts training gym, had the answer.

"Guys like girls," Clark said.

"Women," said Lonnie Markwell, another Ambition co-owner.

"We're partners, but not like that, though," Clark said.

"Guys love mixed martial arts," he added, getting back on message. "Guys like the intensity of competition."

Richard Chin can be reached at 651-228-5560.

Post subject: Re: Guy Expo
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:50 am 
Longtime Regular

Quote:
açai berry juice blends.

This is a "Man Convention"? With this comment, it's a bunch of guys* who have no self confidence and need to prove it to each other that they pee standing up.

*Plumbing equiped but not used.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:16 am 
Longtime Regular

Hmmm, no guns, no pole dancing, no scotch...if they don't have cigars, I'm calling that they don't have real men, either. :lol:

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:10 am 
Longtime Regular

Juice? Nutritional suppliments? No guns? No archery gear? No nekkid womens? No "greatest gory movies in history" display? No seminars on how to convince womens to sleep with you? This was a HUSBANDS convention. NOT a guy convention. It included things that our wives WANT us to have on our minds. Beer? Sure... the more we drink, the more docile we tend to be. We may not get much done when inebriated, but we can't put up much of a fight either. And, we generally have some ammends to make after the fact. This puts them at an advantage. BBQ grills? Who's job is it to cook again? Did I miss a memo? One last point - real men don't need a "coalition". We handle things on our own, figure things out on our own, and don't cotton to any sort of abuse (domestic, child, animal, self, etc.). Wait a minute. My abuse list is a little too long. Scratch that last entry.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:23 am 
Longtime Regular

mrokern wrote:
Hmmm, no guns, no pole dancing, no scotch...if they don't have cigars, I'm calling that they don't have real men, either. :lol:

-Mark

Seems to me that they have room for some enterprising vendors....

All y'all are looking at this the wrong way. They need us there. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:53 am 

Presenting the TCC booth with all it's members and their guns at next year's "Guy Expo"

:)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:09 am 
Longtime Regular

tman065 wrote:
mrokern wrote:

-Mark

Seems to me that they have room for some enterprising vendors....

All y'all are looking at this the wrong way. They need us there. :lol:

Timothy Nelson wrote:
Presenting the TCC booth with all it's members and their guns at next year's "Guy Expo"

:)

See, this is why I like you guys. :D

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:49 am 
Longtime Regular

Great idea. Mark, would you like to make the call?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:58 pm 
Longtime Regular

Andrew Rothman wrote:
Great idea. Mark, would you like to make the call?

See, and this is why I like YOU! 8)

Sounds like my Monday morning call list just got an addition.

Somehow I think we'd have more than enough volunteers to staff a booth...

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:26 pm 
Longtime Regular

Sounds like a great place to tout Appleseed, too.

"The right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America, but which historically has proved to be always possible." - Vice President Hubert H. Humphrey, 1960

"Man has the right to deal with his oppressors by devouring their palpitating hearts." - Jean-Paul Marat

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.