Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:41 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 TCC Breakfast for March 

Would you attend a TCC Breakfast in the N-NE area?
Poll ended at Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:56 am
Yes, it would be more convienent  75%  75%  [ 15 ]
No, it is not convienent  25%  25%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 20

TCC Breakfast for March 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:44 am 
Longtime Regular

The other reason for Pastrami Jack's is turn out. PJ's location has the highest consistent attendance and so it's kinda the default location. At least that's the way I understand it.

The other option would be to have a couple locations going ... I can make a local location near Roseville a lot easier than PJ's because it cuts the travel time in half. I might still decide to go to PJ's even if there was a Roseville gathering based on who I needed to make a trade with ;-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:03 am 
Longtime Regular

plblark wrote:
The other reason for Pastrami Jack's is turn out. PJ's location has the highest consistent attendance and so it's kinda the default location. At least that's the way I understand it.

The other option would be to have a couple locations going ... I can make a local location near Roseville a lot easier than PJ's because it cuts the travel time in half. I might still decide to go to PJ's even if there was a Roseville gathering based on who I needed to make a trade with ;-)

Which begs the question, how do we know that PJ's has the best turn out?? As I've seen, there have only been a couple or three of places tried. Two in Minneapolis and then PJs. I've been looking for places in the NW metro and only a couple come to mind. One is significantly far from the metro (Becker) the other in Big Lake and doesn't have much decent parking.

"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." [...a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand.] -- (Lucius Annaeus) Seneca "the Younger" (ca. 4 BC-65 AD),

The Nanny State MUST DIE!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:35 am 

Also keep in mind March gun shows to see,

Quote:
17-18
Brooklyn Park Armory crocodile1@comcast.net
24-25
MN State Fairgrounds Coliseum 612-721-8976 info@mwca.org

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:42 am 
Longtime Regular

Ok, so how's this for an idea...

A poll with 4 or 5 locations in different parts of the metro. Someone take charge for each "region" and find a host site.

criteria:
1) Not posted
2) available area
3) able to accommodate a group 10-40

I'd be willing to call the Roseville Old Country Buffet which has a seperate room for groups if you like. I won't be able to organize or attend because I have a second job working weekend mornings but I'd be willing to call them.

Then we could set up several satellite meetings.

The disadvantage to satellite meetings is that with only one location people often talk private transactions or availability and you might miss out on it if the seller is not at your breakfast.

What we really need is an idea which areas people would like to meet in and thewn members to step up and make it happen in those areas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:58 am 
Longtime Regular

Another idea is to rotate locations, NE, NW, SE, SW Metro or some other type of movement of the location. I think this would increase interest because the drive would be short.

And as we all know these events are rtather addictive. :) so people would tend to try to attend, many of us travel a bit to attend now so moving it would enable the people who do not have the time to travel to attend occasionally.

Trying to stay within or at least close to the 494/694 loop around the cities would probably end up with one close to everybody every 4 months.

Just my .02

"For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
-Unknown

Honorably Discharged member of Uncle Sam's Underwater Canoe Club.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:41 pm 
Longtime Regular

I don't think splitting the group is a good idea. Rotating makes more sense.

Curran's, I think, fails the service test. Maybe RJ Rich's in Mounds View? Or the Mermaid? That'd be across town from PJs.

On the other hand, PJs DOES have the best JooFood in town, so I'm biased.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:08 pm 
Delicate Flower

My 2 cents worth:

I won't be driving 4 hours (give or take) for breakfast, no matter how good the food is. With return travel that's a whole day on the road (and a tank and a half of gas) for maybe an hour and a half of good conversation. I just can't justify the time and expense.

I realize this forum is metro-centered, and I knew that when I signed up, but there seems to be quite a few of us in the outstate area who are getting left out due to everything revolving around the Cities.

The occasional foray into the wild wouldn't hurt you city slickers any and might bump the membership up some and make it feel a little bit more inclusive.

Now, if these shindigs included a day at the range or something, I could see making a day or an overnight stay of it might work.

And that's all I have to say on this subject.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:16 pm 
Longtime Regular

Widge wrote:
My 2 cents worth:

I won't be driving 4 hours (give or take) for breakfast, no matter how good the food is. With return travel that's a whole day on the road (and a tank and a half of gas) for maybe an hour and a half of good conversation. I just can't justify the time and expense.

I realize this forum is metro-centered, and I knew that when I signed up, but there seems to be quite a few of us in the outstate area who are getting left out due to everything revolving around the Cities.

The occasional foray into the wild wouldn't hurt you city slickers any and might bump the membership up some and make it feel a little bit more inclusive.

Now, if these shindigs included a day at the range or something, I could see making a day or an overnight stay of it might work.

Widge,

Once the snow is off the ground, we should get together in Hutchinson with Brit and e5usmc and a few others for a day of burning powder.
Let's think about a Saturday in April!
:D :D :D :D :D :D

UT BCI Certified Conceal/Carry Instructor

"If you expect the police to always be able to protect you, why are the ones who show up at crimes called 'detectives' instead of 'defenders'? Detectives try to find a criminal after they've committed a crime."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:22 pm 
Delicate Flower

Selurcspi wrote:
Widge wrote:
My 2 cents worth:

Widge,

Once the snow is off the ground, we should get together in Hutchinson with Brit and e5usmc and a few others for a day of burning powder.

Now you're talking! That I could do...end of april would be good, not too hot yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:52 pm 
Longtime Regular

Widge wrote:
My 2 cents worth:

But a few dozen city slickers should each burn a tank and a half?

I'm in favor of geographical optimization. That means placing activities so that the minimum total travel time is spent.

With the large number of people in and around the Twin Cities, I think we'd find the geographical center of interested parties to be...pretty close to the Twin Cities.

(If someone wants to collect ZIP codes of interested parties, I'll pinpoint on a map the precise center.)

Living in the sticks has its benefits: cheap land, low crime, and often the opportunity to shoot off of your back porch. Rural folk love expounding on these virtues.

One of the downsides, however, is that it's often a long drive to a gourmet supermarket, a large gun show, or a largish group of like-minded individuals. That's unfortunate, but I'm not sure there's a perfect solution.

Maybe you can teleconference to the breakfast? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:06 pm 
Longtime Regular

Widge:

I spend a lot of time between Mankato and your neck of the woods shooting Coyotes....If you put a "deal" together I would be inclined to make it a weekend... :lol:

I would also participate and like to see another one up Nort...can the Arrowhead group put together a breakfast that included some range time.......that is if the Mayors up there will let us........... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:41 pm 
Longtime Regular

Selurcspi wrote:

We'd likely still need our jumpers, anoraks, and maybe some rubbers in April, for this seemingly UK-ish gathering...

-Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:56 pm 
Delicate Flower

Wellies? :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:00 pm 

e5usmc wrote:
We'd likely still need our jumpers, anoraks, and maybe some rubbers in April, for this seemingly UK-ish gathering...

I know you guys are Brits, and as such are supposed to be a tad, how shall I put it - eccentric? But do the rest of us really need to know that you are including rubbers in your outing?

I mean, jeesh guys... :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:57 am 
Longtime Regular

Selurcspi wrote:
Widge wrote:
My 2 cents worth:

Widge,

Are the red coats optional

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.